There is no doubt that Windows is one of the most popular operating systems for any kind of people. The latest version of Windows 10 is probably the best invention of Microsoft as it is compatible with all types of people. Along with the standalone security shield, you can find some other security layers such as Smart Screen Filter. The Windows SmartScreen filter is a technology that was initially designed to protect your PC from suspicious and malicious apps and files. And display a warning message when you try to run an unrecognized app. But If you don’t like how the SmartScreen filter works, here 3 different ways to Disable the Windows SmartScreen Filter In Windows 10.
What is windows SmartScreen Filter
Smart Screen Filter is one of the best security layers of Windows that scans all the files downloaded through a web browser and shows security warning if it detects any suspicious file. Also Windows Smart Screen prevented an unrecognized app from starting which might put your PC at risk.
How does it work?
Disable the Windows SmartScreen Filter
Although this feature seems very good and must have for your PC. But sometime you may get the warning message while installing apps from trusted resources. if you are getting such a warning often times and would like to disable Smart Screen Filter in Windows 10. Here follow the steps below to control SmartScreen settings for apps and files, Microsoft Edge, and Store apps individually.
Allow an app to bypass SmartScreen on Windows 10
If you notice SmartScreen blocks any specific app from running then you can allow that app to bypass SmartScreen following steps below.
- Open the app folder,
- Right-click the app, that SmartScreen blocks, and select properties,
- Click on the General tap.
- Under the “Security” section, check the Unlock option.
- Click the Apply and ok button
- Now run the application there is no more warning message shown.
Disable SmartScreen filter Using Windows Security
Note: Microsoft has renamed Windows Defender as Windows security
- First, search for “Windows Security” in the Start Menu and open it.
- Go to the “App and Browser Control” tab appearing on the left panel.
- On the right panel, you can see that by default SmartScreen is enabled and set to warn when it encounters unrecognized or suspicious apps and files in all three categories.
- To completely disable SmartScreen, simply select the radio option “Off” for all three categories.
- If you select “Warn,” SmartScreen warns when you try to open an unrecognized app or file. You can choose whether to run the app or not.
- If you chose “Block,” SmartScreen will show a warning message and blocks the file or app from running.
Disable Windows Smart Screen using Registry Edit
Also, you can disable or reduce the security of smart screen using Registry edit.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open windows registry editor,
- Backup registry database, then navigate the following key.
- On your right side, you can find a key called SmartScreenEnabled.
- By default it should be set to RequireAdmin.
- Just double click on this key and change the value Set it to Off.
- That’s it, Close the windows registry and simply Restart windows.
- Next time when you install any app the smart screen pop will not appear.
Also Read :