When new updates are available on Discord’s app, it download and install them automatically. But sometimes you may experience Discord stuck on Update 1 of 1 for over an hour.
Discord is one of the most popular VOIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) services widely used by gaming users for instant messaging and digital distribution. The developer team regularly updates the app with new features, the latest bug fixes, and security enhancements. And the update is very important as it improves the performance and stability of the Discord app. But sometimes you may notice Discod is stuck on checking for updates. A number of users report, Discord won’t open or is stuck on starting. lacks of administrator-level privileges, slow internet connection or a firewall may be unintentionally blocking the updates. Again Corrupted or Outdated Cache is also a reason why Discord is Stuck at updating. Here in this post, we have five effective solutions apply to resolve the Discord update loop on windows 11.
How to Fix Discord Stuck on Checking for Updates
There is a chance, of an outage in the Discord server and causing stuck checking updates, the first thing you need to check no service outage or technical issue from the Discord server down. you can quickly check this at DiscordStatus.
Again without the internet Discord can’t connect to the server to get the update files. The next thing you need to check and confirm you have a stable internet connection. You can check your internet speed at speedtest.net or fast.com. Here are a few tips to fix slow internet or increase internet speed on windows 11.
Run the app as administrator is another effective way to fix such problems, which may cause because the lack of privilege to download and apply the discord app updates.
Let’s reboot your PC and run Discord app as administrator. That is probably very effective if temporary glitches cause the issue. Restarting your PC not only clears system glitches but also refreshes the operating system and restarts all processes.
Every time you open Discord it just gets stuck checking for updates.
- Locate the windows tray menu, right-click on the Discord icon then click Quit Discord,
- In addition, press Ctrl + shift + Esc simultaneously to open task manager,
- Here under the process tab, look for discord. Right-click on it and select End task.
In addition Run, The Discord Browser App to determine the problem is with the app or discord server.
Run Discord App as Administrator
A Lack of privileges is another common reason that prevents download or update the Discord app and results Discord Stuck On Checking For Updates. Let’s run the discord app as administrator.
- Press Windows key + S, type Discord,
- Right-click Discord and select Run as Administrator.
- Now check if the app download the latest updates automatically without any problems.
If not, you will need to try something else.
Allow Discord Through Windows Firewall
In addition whitelist Discord in Windows Firewall helps fix the Discord update loop for windows 11 users.
- Press Windows key + S, type windows defender firewall and select it
- Now click on Allow an app or feature through windows defender firewall,
- Click on change settings then, Locate Discord on the list and mark the checkboxes that read Private and Public.
- Click OK to save the changes now try update the Discord app.
Delete Discord Cache
Discord caches files and media so you don’t have to re-download it every time you see it. But sometimes a specific file in the cache folder could be the reason why Discord not updating correctly. And clear all of the cache files probably resolve the issue, Don’t worry this is safe and won’t harm the app or computer.
- Press Windows key + R, type %appdata% and click ok,
- This should automatically open the C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming folder.
- Look for the Discord folder, open it then locate and open the cache folder.
- And delete all cache files there, Press Ctrl + A to select all then hit Del key on the keyboard.
Note: Make sure the Discord process is not running in the background!
- Once done reboot your PC, then run the Discord app as administrator. Now the app should open and update accordingly
Check internet connection
Make sure you are connected to stable working internet to download discord app files from its server. Disable or disconnect proxy, VPN or third antivirus programs and try update the discord app.
Due to poor internet connection, Discord cannot download your updated files.
- Press Windows key + R, type inetcpl.cpl and click ok,
- This will open Internet Properties, move to the Connections tab then click on LAN settings
- Here Ensure the “Use a proxy server for your LAN” is unchecked. Press Apply and hit OK.
A few users noted, connecting to a different network help them fix such issues with the Discord app. Use your phone as WiFi hotspot and connect to it and check if this help fix the discord update failed issue. Make sure to enable mobile Data.
On your mobile, Go to Settings – Connections – Mobile Hotspot and Tethering – Mobile Hotspot. This is also where you can set the WiFi name and password.
If Discord works when you are connected to a different network, you should try restarting your router. That could be the cause of your issues.
Rename the Discord Update File
Again corruption of discord update files is the reason why you are experiencing problem installing Discord update. Renaming the Discord update file force create a new one and help update the discord app without any problems.
- Make sure to close the discord app, or open taskmanager right click on discord then select end task,
- Press Windows key + R, type %localappdata% the click ok,
- Navigate to the Discord folder locate the update.exe folder and rename it to oldupdate.exe
- Now run the Discord app as administrator to see if it is no longer stuck updating.
Uninstalling and reinstall the Discord app is another effective solution that probably fixes the discord update failed problem on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok
- This will open Programs and Features, where you will have to locate for Discord Select it and click Uninstall.
- Reboot your PC to completely remove the app from your computer,
- Now head over to Discord’s website and download the app.
- Run the setup file as administrator and follow on-screen instructions to install the app then click finish.
- Once done, run the application as an administrator and see if it manages to update and connect.
If all the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, it’s best to just submit a Discord support ticket.
visit the discord support page, select Help & Support, fill in the necessary information and wait for a couple of days until you get an answer.
- 8 ways to fix Discord Screen Share Audio Not Working 2023
- Discord is Stuck on Connecting to voice channel or sending messages
- Mic no longer working on Discord after Windows 10 update? Let’s fix it
- Discord installation has failed in Windows 10 (5 solutions to fix)
- Discord not working on Windows 10, 8 or 7? Here quick solution