Here is how to restore and troubleshoot your Internet connections on windows 11
Your DNS server might be unavailable usually means something wrong with the internet configuration and you can’t connect to the Internet until all the issues are being fixed. Sometimes you may experience web browsers prevent you from accessing the Internet or fails to load webpages, and running the internet troubleshooter results Your DNS Server might be unavailable. The reason behind this problem of DNS system error are various, including a problem with your router, incorrect network configuration to the settings from your ISP and more. Whatever the reason, here is how you can fix the DNS server might be unavailable issue in Windows 11.
DNs service translates domain names or hostnames into Internet Protocol (IP) addresses
- 1 Why DNS Server unavailable?
- 2 How to fix DNS Server Unavailable Error in Windows 11
Let’s first understand what is DNS. DNS stands for domain name system And its primary function is to translate human-readable domain names (for example, www.youtube.com ) to machine-readable IP addresses (188.8.131.52). And if due to some reason DNS service stop functioning you may experience a problem accessing webpages or the internet on your computer.
This problem is related to the DNS settings of your ISP or your device. Your wireless router may be the reason behind this problem. If your network cable is not connected to your PC properly, it also can cause a problem. Hardware or network failures can also cause the “DNS server not responding” error. Again sometimes any third-party antivirus, firewall, or wrong DNS configuration on Windows cause this issue.
Here are how you can fix the “DNS server problems on windows 11:
- Restart the modem or router. Clear your modem or router’s cache by pressing its power button and unplugging its power cable.
- Deactivate antivirus and firewall. Temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall programs. And most importantly disconnect VPN which might help to solve the DNS issue.
- Flush DNS cache. Clear the router cache and run ipconfig /flushdns command to refresh the DNS configuration.
- Change the DNS server address. Set it to obtain IP address and DNS address automatically, if this didn’t help then switch to Google DNS 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11
- Troubleshoot network problems. Run network diagnostics tool to identify and troubleshoot internet connection problems.
Restart the computer and router
The simple and quick solution to fix Internet problems on windows 11 is reboot your PC and network devices including the Router or modem. Doing so refreshes your router’s connection and clears minor glitches that might be causing the issue.
- You can press the Power button on the router to turn the device off.
- At the same time restart your windows computer from the start menu power options
- Then, press the same button to turn the router back on.
Disable Antivirus and Firewall
You may have third-party antivirus installed to protect your device from malicious software Or connect VPN server to browse anonymously. But sometimes these tools can be the reason why the internet not working on your computer.
Let’s temporarily deactivate your antivirus and firewall programs to check whether it restores your Internet connections on windows 11.
In addition, if VPN is configured on your device disconnect or change the server location and try accessing a web page.
Note – if you are not using any third party antivirus, you can access the windows security antivirus and firewall settings on Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security -> Virus & threat protection.
Restart DNS client service
DNS Client service must be running state on the computer to perform DNS name resolution. If due to some reason DNS client service not started or it’s stuck running you may experience the internet not working on windows 11 or the DNS server is unavailable.
- Press the Windows key + R, and type services.msc and click ok to open the services window,
- Scroll down to locate DNS client service, right-click on it select restart,
- If the service not started, then right-click on it select properties,
- Here change its startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
- Click apply and ok to save the changes.
Flush your DNS cache
This is an excellent method to get rid of this type of internet connection problem on Windows 11.
Press Windows key + S type cmd, right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
Now run the following commands one after one to flush and reset the DNS client resolver cache, and register all related DNS entries. In addition, release the current IP configuration and request a new IP address form the DHCP server.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
In addition run netsh int ip reset command to reset Reset TCP/IP configuration, then run netsh winsock reset command to restart the communication required between your device and the network
Once done reboot your computer, open any web browser and try to access any web pages. Check if the internet connection is restored and there is no more DNS server error.
Make sure DNS is set to automatically obtain
Let’s set it to Automatically obtain DNS server details and that probably helps resolve DNS issues on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and press ok to open the network connection window,
- Locate and Right click on the Active connection ( Ethernet or WiFi Adapter) and choose Properties.
- Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select the radio button Obtain IP Address and DNS server address automatically.
- Click the OK button to save changes After that open web page to check problem is solved or not.
Use OpenDNS or Google’s DNS
Still, the internet is slow or not working due to DNS problem, Let’s switch to OpenDNS or Google’s DNS that most probably restore the internet connection.
- Press the Windows key + R, and type ncpa.cpl then click ok,
- Locate your network connection, right-click it and choose Properties.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click the Properties button.
- In the General tab, select Use the following DNS server addresses. Now enter 18.104.22.168 as the Preferred DNS server and 22.214.171.124 as an Alternate DNS server.
- Alternatively, you can use 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52 instead.
- Now click OK to save changes.
Disable Proxy connection
Are you using a proxy connection Probably, that is the problem. You can disable your proxy connection to get rid of this DNS server unavailable problem. T
- Press Windows key + R, and type inetcpl.cpl and click ok to open internet properties,
- Go to the Connections tab and then click on LAN Settings
- Here uncheck everything except Automatically detect settings.
- Then, Save these settings. After doing it, Restart Windows.
- From now, You should no longer encounter DNS server might be unavailable issue.
Disable IP Version 6 (IPv6)
For a few users disable Internet Protocol Version 6 (IPv6) help them restore the internet connection on windows 11.
To disable IPv6 on Windows 11
- Go to Network Connections using ncpa.cpl,
- Right-click on the active connection, and select Properties.
- Under the Networking tab, locate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and unselect the box
Update the Network Adapter Driver
An outdated network adapter driver can also be the reason why the internet not working on windows 11 or display DNS Server Unavailable Error.
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager
- Locate and expand the Network adapters, locate the Wi-Fi adapter right-click on it, and select Update driver.
- Now select the first option, Search automatically for drivers
- If the system finds a new driver it will install it and you will be prompted to restart your PC.
Or you can visit the device manufacturer to download and install the latest driver update on your device.
Did the above solutions help fix DNS Server might be unavailable error and restore the internet connection on windows 11? Let us know in the comments below.
- Printer not working after the windows 10 update “Printer Driver Is Unavailable”
- Use of CHKDSK, SFC, and DISM diagnostic tools in windows 11
- Windows 11 scanning and repairing drive C stuck at 100
- How to install windows 11 updates on your computer
- Solved: Kernel Security Check Failure error In Windows 11