Getting Error 0xC1900101 – 0x40017 while trying to update to version 1809 from 1803? A number of users report Feature update to Windows 10 version 1809 download 100% but when system restarts for apply for the update the windows 10 logo shows but no spinning icon appears for hours. When if force shut down my laptop and then turn it back on again I get this error message:
We couldn’t install Windows 10.
We’ve set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.
0xC1900101 – 0x20017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
Couldn’t Update to Windows 10
Sorry, we couldn’t complete the update to Windows 10. We’ve restored your previous version of Windows to this PC.
0xC1900101 – 0x20017
Post Contents :-
Windows 10 error 0XC1900101 – 0x20017
Typically 0xC1900101” is a device driver related problem, cause of different reasons, including not enough storage space, incompatible driver, security software, connected peripherals, system files corruption and more. Here we have different solutions apply to get rid of this Windows 10 failed to install 0xc1900101 – 0x20017.
Note: Solutions below also applicable to fix similar errors (0xC1900101 – 0x20004, 0xC1900101 – 0x2000c, 0xC1900101 – 0x20017, 0xC1900101 – 0x30018, 0xC1900101 – 0x3000D, 0xC1900101 – 0x4000D, 0xC1900101 – 0x40017).
- First of all remove all external devices, connected to your PC that includes removable HDD, printer, scanner, audio jack and more.
- Temporarily uninstall security software (antivirus) if installed.
- Also perform windows 10 clean boot, following steps from here, and try upgrade windows 10. This will help to determine if any startup service conflict causing this error.
- Make sure you have enough storage space to download and install windows 10 update files from the Microsoft server. Where an upgrade requires minimum 16GB of free space to install the 32-bit version of Windows 10 or 20GB for a 64-bit version.
Reset Windows Update components
If you are having couldn’t install Windows 10 error 0xC1900101-0x20017 while Upgrade To Windows 10. Then Reset windows update components, ( Which clear update storage folder (SoftwareDistribution folder) cache / Corrupted files ) is the most applicable solution to fix the error. You can either Reset Windows update components using Windows Update Troubleshooting tool and let windows to do itself for you. Or you can manually Reset windows updates components by following steps.
Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
- Click update & security then troubleshoot,
- On the middle panel, select windows update and click run the trouelshooter.
- This will detect problems prevent windows upgrade, restart windows update and its related services, and clear update cache.
- Restart windows after complete the troubleshooting process and again check if there is no more error 0xc1900101 0x20017 while upgrade windows 1809.
Manually Reset Software Distribution Folder
The Software Distribution folder contains many important update related files. If they become corrupted, users face many problems while Install updates/upgrade to windows 10.
Search for command prompt, right click and select run as administrator,
now perform command below to stop windows update and its related services.
- net stop wuauserv,
- net stop bits,
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop msiserver.
Now type ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old command to rename SoftwareDistribution folder.
Again Type ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old command to rename Catroot2 Folder.
Again perform command below to restart BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and the Windows Update Services.
- net start msiserver,
- net start cryptSvc,
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv.
That’s all now Restart windows to take effect the changes, Then after login to windows and Try Upgrade to Windows 10.
Update / Reinstall outdated drivers
- Press Windows Key + R then type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
- Here check whether any devices have a yellow exclamation point alongside them.
- If you find an exclamation point, right-click on the device in question and choose Update Driver Software from the context menu.
- Otherwise, right-click on such device(s) and select Uninstall.
- Restart your PC to apply changes and Windows will automatically install the default drivers for the above device.
Repair corrupted system files
Corrupted, missing system also may cause a different problem, include windows 10 prevent to upgrade the latest version. Run DISM restore health command with system file checker utility that probably restore missing files with correct one and help to get rid of this issue.
- Search for command prompt, right click and select run as administrator,
- First, run DISM restore health command dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- This will scan, check, and restore the health of a specific Windows target image
- After 100% complete scanning process Type Command sfc /scannow to Run The System file checker.
- This will scan your system for all its important system files, and replace where necessary.
- Wait until Verification 100 % complete.
- After this Restart windows And again Try to install / Upgrade Windows 10.
Repair hard drive errors
Also If there are errors / Bad Sectors in the system drive, you may not be able to upgrade to a new version of Windows 10. You can use the chkdsk command line tool, with some extra parameter to check and fix disk drive Errors.
- Again open Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Command Explained: The Command chkdsk is for Check Hard disk for Errors. /F Fixes errors on the disk and /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
- Press y to confirm to run check disk utility on next start,
- Close command prompt and restart windows.
- Let run the check disk utility until 100% complete and restart windows.
- Again try upgrade windows 10 1809 hope this time you get success.
Use Windows Media Creation Tool
If After applies all the above solutions still experiencing 0xC1900101 error while install or upgrade to windows 10. Then you can complete the upgrade process using the official windows 10 media creation Tool.
Did these soluitons help to fix Windows 10 upgrade error 0xC1900101-0x20017, We couldn’t install Windows 10 error 0xC1900101-0x20017 etc. Let us know on comments below. Also, Read