The Fn key (F1, F2, F3, etc), short-form for function key has been designed to perform specific actions on laptops, such as control screen brightness, speaker volume, WiFi Turn off /On etc. in combination with the keys in the top row of the keyboard (F1 – F12). But a number of users report After installing windows 10 April 2018 update Function keys not working on Laptop. As users report the issue on Microsoft forum, Reddit as:
Windows 10 function keys not working properly
Recently my function keys have stopped working like they should. This happened Suddenly after upgrade to windows 10 version 1903 Previously the same fn keys working as they designed but now after recent windows 10 upgrade Some of the Fn keys, like the start and pause keys, now control volume on windows media player and my brightness keys do nothing anymore and neither do my volume keys. Please help asap
As the problem started after a recent windows upgrade, incomparable, corrupted drivers cause this issue. Here some solutions you may apply to fix “Function keys not working on Windows 10 laptop”
Run the Hardware troubleshooter
1] Press Win + I to open the Settings window.
2] Look for “Update and Security” and open it.
3] Select “Troubleshoot” from the left panel and expand the “Hardware and Devices.”
4] Run the troubleshooter and see if the keys are working.
The troubleshooter should restart the affected devices (keyboard, in this case) and their respective services.
Uninstall/Reinstall the Keyboard Drivers
- Press “Windows Logo” + “X” keys on the keyboard.
- Click on “Device Manager” from that list.
- Expand Keyboard from the device list, right click on the installed driver then select “Uninstall”. On the un-installation window, if you have an option: “Delete the driver software for this device” you may select that and then remove the corrupted drivers from the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete it and then restart the computer if prompted.
After the restart, and check windows automatically detect the keyboard driver. If not visit the Laptop manufacturer’s website and search for the latest Windows 10 drivers available for the Keyboard and then install it by following the instructions given in the website. Again restart windows and on next login check, function keys working properly.
Disable Filter Keys
Filter Keys is a Windows feature designed to block repeated keystrokes. Although it’s actually quite unlikely this feature will block the function keys on your keyboard, it’s possible. we recommend temporarily disable this feature and check it may help.
- Go to Control Panel and open Ease of Access Center.
- Scroll down and select Make the keyboard easier to use option.
- Scroll down and locate the Filter Keys option. Make sure that Turn on Filter Keys option is not checked.
- After turning off this option, click Apply and OK to save changes.
Change settings on Mobility Center
Windows Mobility Center is there by default on most laptops. However, Dell systems have an extra setting for the function key row, and we can change the settings. To do so, follow these simple steps:
1] Press Windows key + S. Go on to Search for “Window Mobility Center”. After opening the application, look for the “Function Key Row.”
2] Now, click on the drop-down arrow and select “Function Key.”
3] Click on “Apply” to save the necessary changes and close the application.
Did these solutions help to fix “Function keys not working on Windows 10 laptop”? let us know on the comments below
- Microsoft bringing SwiftKey keyboard feature to Windows 10 Devices
- Defragment disk Drive To Optimize Windows 10 performance
- Windows 10 Search not working after windows update? Apply these solutions
- Fix Windows 10 WiFi keeps disconnecting (5 working solutions)
- Disable Windows 10 startup programs To fix slow startup and boot faster