It happens many times that you forgot your Windows Login password. Thankfully the process of Reset Windows 10 password is much the same as it has been in Windows 8 and above. There are a number of useful ways to recover windows 10 password. This Tutorial we will discuss how to reset forgotten password in windows 10 without losing data.
Well, there are two possibilities of using a password on Windows 10. The first, the account is linked to Microsoft Account and Second, the account is a local account. If you are using Microsoft account to log in then you can reset it online at Microsoft’s site. Well, if you have a local admin account, then you can reset windows 10 password using the command prompt (without any Third-party software).
Post Contents :-
How to reset forgotten password in windows 10
Here this post we have steps to reset the forgotten password of Microsoft account using Microsoft site. And how to recover local user account password using the password reset disk and using command prompt.
How to Reset Microsoft account password in windows 10
If your Windows 10 has configured with Microsoft account login. You can reset a new password for Microsoft account on Microsoft link https://account.live.com/password/reset then you can access Windows 10. And for this first, you need any other computer so that you can log in to your Microsoft Account and recover your password.
- First, of all open web browser on a different computer,
- Visit this url https://account.live.com/password/reset
- Enter your e-mail, phone number, or Skype name associated with your Microsoft account. and click next
- Now Choose how you want to receive the security code.
- Using an alternative email address or phone number associated with your Microsoft account.
- Select one of them and click Send code.
- An email message containing a security code will be sent to your alternative email address immediately.
- If you choose to receive a security code via phone, you should receive a text message.
- Now Enter the security code you just received and then click Next.
- Now on the Reset, your password window Type your new password and Reenter the same password.
- After complete password change use the new password to login to windows 10 / 8.1.
How to reset local admin password in windows 10
Bellow, these steps are applicable to Local user accounts.
Using Password Reset Disk
Using a password reset disk is one of the easiest methods to reset your forgotten Windows password. The only downside of this procedure is that you need to have the password reset disk created beforehand. If you already have created a password reset disk for your PC then follow steps to reset windows 10 password with password reset disk. Otherwise, jump to next step that show steps reset windows 10 password command prompt.
Note: The password reset disk created on one Windows system will not work on another system.
- Frist access to your Windows 10 login screen.
- Simply type your wrong password after put wrong password 2 or 3 times Reset your password will pop up.
- Then insert your USB flash drive password reset disk to your computer then click the link.
- The wizard will guide you to reset your password.
- Select the password reset disk from the list and click Next.
- You may see a warning about incorrect password reset disk if you attach the wrong disk.
- Type in the new password two times and also the password hint.
- Then click on the Next button to continue.
- Finally, click on the Finish button to close the wizard.
Your password has been changed, now you can use your new password to login to your Windows user account.
This method only works with a local admin account. If you have no reset disk tool, then try the second solution below.
Recover windows 10 password Using command prompt
This is a method that can reset Windows 10 forgotten password. For this, you require only the installation media.
- First, insert the installation DVD or bootable USB Restart the windows.
- Press DEL or F2 key to access the BIOS setup.
- Now on Bios Setup change the boot order first boot from CD, DVD or USB.
- Now press F10 to save changes.
When windows start it will ask press any key to boot from DVD press any key to boot from installation media. Now the installation screen is in front of you. Press Shift + F10 key on Keyboard to Open Command Prompt.
- Now on command prompt first check On which drive windows installed.
- To do this type command diskpart and press enter then type list volume and press enter key
- This will display a list of volumes.
- Check which volume has windows installed. For example, my drive letter is D:
- Note Down the Volume Number and drive ltr type exit to leave the disk part.
- Now use command d: to move to the installed directory
Now we are going to Replace the file utilman.exe with cmd.exe and Before you do this, you should make a copy of utilman.exe and cmd.exe so that you can restore it later.
- Now to access windows folder use command cd windows.
- Here next access system 32 folder use command cd system 32.
- Then use the command below to Backup the Utilman.exe and cmd.exe files.
copy utilman.exe utilman1.exe
copy cmd.exe to cmd1.exe
- Now use command del utilman.exe to delete utilman.exe
- Then Use command Rename cmd1.exe utilman.exe to Rename cmd1.exe as utilman.exe (refer below image)
- That’s it now close command prompt and cancel the installation window.
- it will prompt to restart, now restart the windows to Normally.
- Here Click the Utility Manager icon thumb.
- As soon as click on utility icon command prompt will open.
- Here on command prompt type control userpasswords2 and press enter this will open user accounts window as shown below image.
- Here now select the user account which you want to reset the password.
- Click the user account and select the Reset password option.
- It will prompt for the new password As shown in bellow image.
- Put the new password click ok to make changes to save.
That’s all your password changed simply close the command prompt and use the newly created password to login to windows. You will successfully login to your system.
Here refer this video step by step guide how to reset windows 10 password using cmd:
These are some best working tips to recover windows 10 password, reset windows 10 password for local and Microsoft user accounts. Have any Query or new way to recover windows password easily feel free to comment below. Also read:
- Fix USB Ports not working on Windows 10 version 1903 (7 easy solutions)
- 5 Solutions to Fix a Black Screen of Death Error in Windows 10
- How To fix Devices and Printers not Loading on Windows 10 Version 1903
- windows 10 BSOD Driver irql not less or equal bugcheck 0x0000000A
- Fix your pc needs to be repaired error 0xc0000225 on windows 10
- Fix windows installer service could not be accessed Error On Windows 10