Netflix, based on subscription one of the most popular streaming service that allows to watch and download of award-winning TV shows, movies, documentaries, and more on internet-connected devices. Microsoft Windows 10 offers you a native app to watch your favorite Netflix videos or you can access via web browser as well using netflix.com. However, some windows users report they are getting a black screen while trying to launch Netflix or open the Netflix app on windows 10. It’s really frustrating that Netflix black screen prevents watch your favorite shows, but don’t worry here we have few solutions that help fix Netflix black screen with sound or no sound on windows 10.
- 1 Why is my Netflix screen black?
- 2 Netflix black screen on chrome browser
- 3 Netflix app black screen windows 10
Why is my Netflix screen black?
There are multiple reasons that may cause Netflix screen black on windows 10. If you are getting black screen on Netflix app the common reason may outdated Graphics driver. Again if you are getting black screen on web browser such as chrome there are chances outdated browser, chrome extensions, Cookies and Browsing Data may causing the issue.
We have devided the solutions in two parts, for Netflix black screen on app and Netflix black screen on the browser.
Netflix black screen on chrome browser
Well if you are getting Netflix black screen with sound on chrome browser then the following solutions help fix the problem.
Before applying any solutions we recommend restart the browser and again try access netflix.com.
Temporarily disable third-party security software (Antivirus) and open netflix to check if its culprit of the issue. In addition make sure to disconnect VPN (If configured on your computer)
Update Chrome browser
The first thing you need to make sure the browser is up to date, because we all know Most of the times outdated browser cause different problems include browser crash, or black window while browse web pages.
To update Google Chrome:
- On your computer, open Chrome.
- Select the Menu icon from the upper right corner of your browser.
- Select Help then About Google Chrome.
- Chrome will display the current version and automatically install available updates.
- Click Relaunch to complete the update.
Run Your Browser as Administrator
Again there are chances, the browser lacks the administrator privilege that may causing Netflix not working with black screen on your browser.
To run your browser as an administrator:
- Completely close your browser (If running)
- Right-click the shortcut icon of your browser (for example Chrome) and choose Properties.
- Switch to the Compatibility tab and check Run this program as an administrator option.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now open the web browser and access netflix.com to check the status of black screen issue.
Clear Netflix Cookies and Browsing Data
Another effective solution to fix the problem is clear Netflix cookies.
- You need to visit the website netflix.com/clearcookies.
- Click Sign in with your Netflix email and password.
- After clearing cookies, you will be singed out of the account,
- sign in and try Netflix again check if this helps fix the problem.
In addition the browsing, data also interfere with the proper functioning of Netflix and trigger the black screen issue. And clearing the browsing data might be helpful fix this issue.
- Open Chrome browser, click Menu icon from the upper right corner
- Select More tools > Clear browsing data
- Check the items you want to clear and click the Clear data button
Disable Chrome extension
If you have a number of chrome extensions added to enjoy more additional features, the extensions might conflict with Netflix and lead to Netflix screen black issue.
- Open Chrome browser and access chrome://extensions/
- This will display all installed chrome extensions list,
- Disable all of them and check the status of Netflix black screen problem.
- If the problem resolved then enable extensions one by one to find out which one causing the issue.
Netflix app black screen windows 10
Now apply the following soltuoins if the Netflix app causing black screen on windows 10.
The Netflix official support recommend to instlal latest windows updates, whenever Netflix app and fail to launch with a black screen.
To install latest windows update
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings.
- Navigate to Update & Security then Windows Update.
- In the right pane, click Check for updates button to allow download and install latest windows updates.
- Once done, restart your computer to apply them.
- Now try launching your Netflix app again to check weather the problem resolved.
Reset the Netflix App
Try reset the netfilx app following steps below that probably help fix the problem on windows 10.
- Press windows key + X and select apps & features,
- Scroll down to locate Netflix App, select it the clcik advanced options link,
- Now, under reset section- click on Reset button.
- When wrning msg popus, confirm the same by again click on reset button
- Once done restart your comptuer and check the status of your problem.
Reinstall the Netflix app
Still need help, lets uninstlal and reinstlal the netflix app on windows 10.
- Right click on start menu select apps and features,
- Scroll down untill locate netflix app, select it then click uninstall.
- Follow on screen instructions to completly remove the netflix app from your device.
- For better result we recommend restart your PC before install the app again,
- Now open microsoft store, search netflix and instlal the app.
Now sign back in and stream Netflix again smoothly, if you face the black screen with no sound again then move on to the next step.
Reinstall graphic card drivers
Most of times outdated diaplay driver cause windows 10 black screen issue include in various apps. And to rule this out, check latest version of display drivers installed on your computer.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok
- This will open device manager and display all installed device driver list,
- Expand display adapter, right click on installed graphics driver select uninstall
- Click uninstlal again when ask for confirmation and restart your PC.
Now visit the website of your graphics card’s manufacturer, download the latest drivers and install them manually.