Getting blue screen error Page Fault In Nonpaged Area on Windows 10 computer or does it make your system unstable and prone to crashes? Windows 10 blue screen error Usually occurs when hardware or software incorrectly accesses memory that is normally reserved for the operating system. And this error Page Fault in Nonpaged Area usually means a program, system service, or driver tries to access a page file from the RAM memory or hard drive that it expects to find, but it wasn’t available.
A page fault error is a BSOD error that occurs when a program requests data that is not currently in real memory.
Why page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSOD?
Reasons for the page_fault_in_nonpaged_area blue screen error can be numerous, but, usually, it’s related to driver updates or new hardware installations. Again some third-party security software can also cause this error, along with malfunctioning RAM. Most importantly the Virtual memory (pagefile.sys) if you are running a number of programs with heavy memory consumption, and the size of the paging file not handled by Windows this blue screen may come into play. Some other factors such as power outages, problems with system files, Windows updates or driver conflicts also cause such blue screen errors.
Since this error can be related to both hardware and software, if you have recently changed any hardware, remove it to see if the problem persists. Temporarily disabling your antivirus or resetting your device could help resolve this issue. Another potential solution to fix this problem is to update or reinstall the incompatible drivers.
If due to this blue screen error windows restart frequently or won’t start normally then log into your device in Safe Mode to apply the listed methods.
Disable Automatic Paging File Size Management
This error is usually related to memory, Especially with Virtual memory where Windows attempts to write to your paging file (pagefile.sys) without enough memory. Let’s first tweak Virtual memory (pagefile.sys) to prevent windows from automatically managing. This method helps a number of Windows 10 users to fix Page Fault In Nonpaged Area error. That’s why we have listed this as the first solution that probably help you quickly fix this blue screen error.
- Press the Windows key + S, search for appearance and performance and select the first result,
- Next on the performance options window move to the Advanced tab, and under virtual memory click on change.
- Here In the Virtual Memory, window uncheck the option Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.
- Select the radio button no paging file and click on Set (Refer to the image below) Click Apply followed by OK, when you’re done.
Disable Fast startup
This is another nightmare feature, introduced to reduce the Windows startup time. But most of the time this Feature cause issue such as windows stuck at black screen or the system frequently restarts with a different blue screen error. A number of users mentioned disable the fast startup feature helps them to fix a number of startup problems including page_fault_in_nonpaged_area error at startup.
To disable the fast startup option in Windows 10:
- Press the Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok to open the power options window,
- On the left-hand side Click on Choose what the power buttons do
- Next, you need to click on change settings that are currently unavailable and then uncheck the fast startup option
- Finally, Click ok and apply to make save changes.
Check and fix Disk Drive Errors
Another common cause of this error Page Fault In Nonpaged Area on Windows 10 is a corrupt memory location on your hard disk. CHKDSK command is the best tool to check if your hard drive is either failing or has some errors which reduce the working of your device. Let’s Run CHKDSK command with error checking parameters to find any bad sectors on your drive
- Press Windows key + S and search for cmd, Right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator,
- Next type the command chkdsk C: /f /r And press enter key.
Note: CHKDSK is short of Check Disk, C: is the drive letter you want to check, /F means fix disk errors and /R stands for recover information from bad sectors.
- When it prompts to schedule run the disk check command on the next start Press y to confirm and reboot your system.
- This will check the disk drive for errors and fix if found any errors.
Run Memory Diagnostic Tool
This is another inbuild troubleshooting tool that helps to scan and find out memory-related problems on windows PC. Run this tool using the steps below to check for memory errors and make sure it’s not causing the issue.
Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area BSOD is commonly associated with faulty RAM, so be sure to test your memory to fix this problem.
To run the memory Diagnostic Tool:
- Press Windows + R, type mdsched.exe and hit the enter key.
- Click on the first option Restart now and check for problems.
- It will restart your PC and diagnose your memory problems.
- Let the program finish and, you can check the memory diagnostic test results from here.
- If any error is found, it will be reported. If this is the case, then it’s time to replace the memory module.
In addition, Test your RAM by following the steps below.
- Switch off your device and remove the side panel.
- Then, remove the battery from your device. Unplug all the cords connected to your device.
- Remove the RAM chip and check for dust. If it is, remove the dust. If not, replace it with a new RAM.
- Place the RAM stick back and restart your device.
- Check whether the error is still present in your device.
Run SFC and DISM command
Sometimes Missing or corrupted system files could also cause unusual behavior, like the “page fault in nonpaged area” error on Windows 10. Let’s scan your system with the System File Checker utility and check for corrupt Windows system files.
- Again open the command prompt as administrator
- Type the command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will start the scanning process for missing, corrupted system files,
- If found the SFC utility will restore them from a special folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, and Restart the windows.
Well If the system file checker scan results Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. That cause on same command prompt window to Run the DISM command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
Wait until 100% complete the command after that again run sfc /scannow command.
Sometimes third party antivirus that you have installed on your device might be the root cause of this blue screen error, disable the application to resolve the issue
Update Device Driver
Again outdated, incorrect, or corrupt system drivers may also cause this BSOD error. You should verify that all your devices have the right driver, and update those that don’t.
To check and update the device driver
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver lists. Here look for any driver with a yellow exclamation mark right click on it and select update driver.
- Select the option Search automatically for an updated driver and follow the on-screen instructions.
Or you can visit the device manufacturer’s website, download the latest available driver and save it to your local drive.
Then again from Device Manager right click the driver (for example display driver) and select uninstall. Restart Windows and install the latest driver you previously downloaded.
In addition, make sure your system has installed the latest Windows updates. That may have a bug fix for this blue screen error Page Fault In Nonpaged Area on Windows 10.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Go to update and security then windows update and hit the check for updates button,
- If Windows updates are pending there allow them to download and install on your device,
- Once done reboot your computer to apply them
Check the Physical memory module
Finally, if none of those software methods work, it’s time to check your RAM. Just remove your computer’s RAM clean it and reinsert it perfectly after a few seconds. If your computer has multiple sticks of RAM, remove one and retest. If the fault persists, change the memory slot and retest. Or If the error keeps occurring, consider replacing your RAM.
These are some most applicable solutions to fix page fault in nonpaged area Windows 10 boot loop permanently.
Here are some tips to prevent this Windows 10 BSOD error.
- Always avoid installing nulled, pirated software on your PC.
- Regularly perform a full system scan for virus malware infection.
- Install only trusted applications and regularly check and install Windows updates
- Difference Between 32-Bit and 64-Bit Windows 10 and Processor (CPU)
- Skype Video Call Not Working? Here is how to fix on Windows 10/8.1/7
- Solved: ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED Google Chrome Error
- Solved: DHCP is not enabled for local area connection in Windows 10
- Fix your pc ran into a problem Windows 10 Blue Screen Error