Windows 10 Blue Screen Error Occurs whenever your computer is encountered with something it doesn’t know how to process. So it shuts itself down With showing an error code to prevent any damage. You may encounter different blue screen errors, here this post we go through solutions to fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT stop code 0x0000004E on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7.
- 1 pfn list corrupt Windows 10
- 1.1 Uninstalling Extra Antivirus or Security Programs
- 1.2 Uninstall Any Recently Installed Application
- 1.3 Updating Windows
- 1.4 Repair corrupted Windows registry
- 1.5 Check for Virus or malware infection
- 1.6 Disable Microsoft OneDrive
- 1.7 Repair Damaged Or corrupted system files
- 1.8 Check Memory (RAM) corruption
- 1.9 Check Your Hard Drive for Errors and bad sectors
- 1.10 Update Device Drivers
pfn list corrupt Windows 10
PFN stands for Page Frame Number, an indexing number or we can say a list used by the Hard Drive to locate every file on the physical disk. And the blue screen error PFN_LIST_CORRUPT indicates that the Page Frame Number (PFN) list is corrupted. Most of the time you may encounter this blue screen error after installing new hardware or software. Again Disk drive error, Memory corruption or damaged corrupted system files also cause this pfn list corrupt blue screen error.
Well if you are also experiencing this blue screen error, don’t worry here we have different solutions apply to fix pfn list corrupt Windows 10.
Remove all external devices such as a printer, scanner, external HDD etc and restart your PC. This will fix the problem if any device driver compatibility causing the issue.
If due to this blue screen error Windows 10 restarts frequently, start PC in safe mode and perform steps below.
Uninstalling Extra Antivirus or Security Programs
Two antivirus applications running at the same time or any firewall installed on your PC may cause the error PFN_List_Corrupt, because of their tendency to attempt to access the same hard drive physical space, at the same time. Using a third-party antivirus tool, along with Windows Defender, is known to cause this. So consider disabling or uninstalling one. I hope It will fix the problem.
Uninstall Any Recently Installed Application
If the error started to appear, immediately after you installed an application or install a new driver, then there is a chance that this new program could be causing the PFN list corruption. for this you have to uninstall the program, then evaluating your system.
First, ensure you have administrative rights to make changes or uninstall any application.
- Open Control Panel then Programs and Features.
- Now select the recently installed Application and click uninstall.
- Restart windows and check, if the problem solved.
It’s very important that your operating system is up-to-date, as these updates are created specifically for issues like this. Check for updates of windows and its drivers. Updating can work great, It fixes many bugs. So, You will have a good chance to get rid of PFN_LIST_CORRUPT.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings,
- Click Update & security then windows update
- Click the Check for updates button and then install all updates found.
Repair corrupted Windows registry
Corrupted registries can create many problems including pfn list corrupt BSOD in your PC. It also may make your PC slower. So, It is always good to delete or fix the corrupted or missing registries.
With scanning the registry and removing invalid entries related to the PFN_List_Corrupt error you can fix the Error. Find free tools Like Ccleaner to fix Corrupt registry and optimize system performance.
Check for Virus or malware infection
There is a chance that your computer is infected with a virus, which is causing the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. These malicious little programs are capable of damaging, corrupting and deleting important system files. They are also capable of prohibiting certain applications and services from running, which could inadvertently be what is causing the error. Get the latest updated Antivirus or antimalware and perform a full system scan. After complete scanning Restart windows and check for Error fixed or not.
Disable Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive was a part of the Windows Essentials suite for many years, but with the rising popularity of cloud storage, it became a default application on Windows 10. OneDrive is a great tool that allows you to collaborate and share files with others, but unfortunately, several users reported that OneDrive can also cause PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. In order to fix this issue, you’ll have to disable OneDrive, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Open Registry edit window,
- Now navigate to the following key in the left pane:
- Expand the Windows key and search for OneDrive key.
- If the key doesn’t exist create it.
- Right click Windows key and choose New > Key. Enter OneDrive as the name of the key.
- Select the OneDrive key.
- In the right pane, right click and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter DisableFileSyncNGSC as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double click the DisableFileSyncNGSC and change its Value data to 1.
- Click OK to save changes.
Repair Damaged Or corrupted system files
If there is anything wrong with your system files, This problem may arise. So we recommend you to fix the corrupted system files to do this run sfc scan now command.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key on the keyboard,
- This will start scanning corrupted missing system files if found any the SFC utility automatically restores them with the correct one.
- Lets 100% complete the process and restart PC
- If corrupted system files are the reason behind this blue screen Error you didn’t face any error after this step.
Check Memory (RAM) corruption
If none of the methods help you, You can try to find out your memory problems. Because Corrupted RAM can cause this blue screen problem. To determine whether or not this is the case, you will first, need to test your RAM. This can be done, by running the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- From start menu search for Memory Diagnostic Tool and select it you will get Windows Memory diagnostic Tool Screen,
- Here Select Restart Now And Check for problems ( Recommended)
- This Will Restart your windows and check for Memory Errors.
- Wait until complete, When complete the process restart windows.
- If this PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue screen is related to Memory problem you will not face any Error After restart.
Check Your Hard Drive for Errors and bad sectors
If the problem persists, even after attempting all the above methods, then the problem could be due to a fault in your hard drive, bad sectors being the likely culprit. In order for you to determine whether or not you’re hard drive is damaged, you will need to scan it.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- In the command prompt window, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter key.
Tip: CHKDSK is the short of Check Disk, C: is the drive letter you want to check, /F means fix disk errors and /R stands for recover information from bad sectors.
When it prompt “Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”. Answer Yes to that question by pressing the Y key on your keyboard and press Enter. Restart your computer.
After restarting, the disk checking operation should start. Wait until Windows check your disk for errors. I hope you will no longer face any pfn list corrupt windows 10 Blue screen Error After performing this Steps.
Update Device Drivers
As discussed before PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD error could be probably caused by the related driver software. And You can very likely successfully solve this problem by updating your device drivers with the latest version.
- Press Windows + X on Keyboard and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list,
- Here you can update, reinstall any driver, for example, display driver
- Expend display driver from the list,
- Right click on installed graphics driver and select properties.
- You will get options to Driver Details, Update Driver, Rollback Driver and uninstall option.
- Try to update drivers or uninstall the driver.
- download the latest updated driver from the manufacturer site and install.
If you still Face The pfn list corrupt windows 10 Blue Screen Error Try To Restore your system to a specific Restore point when your system running well.
Video: How to Fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error on Windows 10
Did these solutions help fix pfn_list_corrupt blue screen error on windows 10? Let us know which one work for you, Also read: