Frequently Getting pfn list corrupt blue screen error after windows 10 Update? Mostly Windows 10 Blue Screen Error occurs whenever your computer is encountered with something it doesn’t know how to process, So it shuts itself down With showing an error code to prevent any damage. You may encounter different blue screen errors, here in this post we go through solutions to fix pfn list corrupt stop code 0x0000004E on Windows 10.
What is pfn_list_corrupt on windows 10?
Windows 10 BSOD pfn_list_corrupt indicates that the Page Frame Number (PFN) list is corrupted. Before we move on towards fixes lets first understand this error code, the PFN list refers to the Page Frame Number list used by hard disk to determine the location of the files saved on it.
Mostly you may encounter this blue screen error after installing new hardware or software. Again Disk drive error, Memory corruption or corrupted system files also cause this pfn list corrupt blue screen error.
How to fix Fix pfn list corrupt on Windows 10?
If you’re experiencing this blue screen error pfn_list_corrupt on windows 10, Here few best working solutions that probably help fix the problem.
Whenever you encounter blue screen error the first suggestion we recommend, disconnect all external devices such as printers, scanners, external HDD, USB flash and reboot your PC. This will fix the problem if any device driver compatibility causing the issue.
If due to this blue screen error Windows 10 restarts frequently, start PC in safe mode and apply solutions listed below.
Uninstalling Extra Antivirus
Two antivirus applications running at the same time or any firewall installed on your PC may cause the error PFN_List_Corrupt, because of their tendency to attempt to access the same hard drive physical space, at the same time. Using a third-party antivirus tool, along with Windows Defender, is known to cause this. So consider disabling or uninstalling one. I hope It will fix the problem.
Uninstall Any Recently Installed Application
If the error started to appear, immediately after you installed an application or install a new driver, then there is a chance that this new program could be causing the PFN list corruption. for this, you have to uninstall the program, then evaluating your system.
First, ensure you have administrative rights to make changes or uninstall any application.
- Press Windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok
- This will open Programs and Features and display all installed programs list,
- Locate and select the recently installed Application then click uninstall.
- Follow on screen instructions to remove the application and restart your PC normally
- Check if the problem resolved there is no more BOSD error.
Install latest Windows
It’s very important that your operating system is up-to-date, as these updates are created specifically for issues like this. Check for updates of windows and its drivers. Updating can work great, It fixes many bugs. So, You will have a good chance to get rid of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT blue screen error.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings,
- Click Update & security then windows update
- Click the Check for updates button and then install all updates found.
- Once done restart your PC to apply them, and check if this helps fix the Blue screen error.
Check Your Hard Drive for Errors and bad sectors
If the problem persists, even after attempting all the above methods, then the problem could be due to a fault in your hard drive, bad sectors being the likely culprit. In order for you to determine whether or not you’re hard drive is damaged, you will need to scan it.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- In the command prompt window, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter key.
Tip: CHKDSK is the short of Check Disk, C: is the drive letter you want to check, /F means fix disk errors and /R stands for recover information from bad sectors.
When it prompt “Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”. Answer Yes to that question by pressing the Y key on your keyboard and press Enter. Restart your computer.
After restarting, the disk checking operation should start, Wait until Windows check your disk for errors.
Update Device Drivers
As discussed before PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD error could be probably caused by the related driver software. And You can very likely successfully solve this problem by updating your device drivers with the latest version.
- Press Windows + X on Keyboard and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver list,
- Here you can update, reinstall any driver, for example, display driver
- Expend display driver from the list,
- Right-click on the installed graphics driver and select properties.
- You will get options to Driver Details, Update Driver, Rollback Driver and uninstall option.
- Try to update drivers or uninstall the driver.
- download the latest updated driver from the manufacturer site and install it.
Tip: Also you can get a suitable automatic driver updater to help you scan and update outdated device drivers.
Check Memory (RAM) corruption
If none of the methods help you, You can try to find out your memory problems. Because Corrupted RAM can cause this blue screen problem. To determine whether or not this is the case, you will first, need to test your RAM. This can be done, by running the Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- From the start menu search for Memory Diagnostic Tool and select it you will get Windows Memory diagnostic Tool Screen,
- Here Select Restart Now And Check for problems ( Recommended)
- This Will Restart your windows and check for Memory Errors.
- Wait until complete, When complete the process restart windows.
- If this PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue screen is related to the Memory problem you will not face any Error After restart.
Run system file checker utility
If there is anything wrong with your system files, This problem may arise. So we recommend you fix the corrupted system files to do this run sfc scan now command.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key on the keyboard,
- This will start scanning corrupted missing system files if found any the SFC utility automatically restores them with the correct one.
- Lets 100% complete the process and restart PC
- If corrupted system files are the reason behind this blue screen Error you didn’t face any error after this step.
Pro Tip: If system file checker utility found errors but unable to fix or repair them then run DISM command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
Disable Microsoft OneDrive
OneDrive was a part of the Windows Essentials suite for many years, but with the rising popularity of cloud storage, it became a default application on Windows 10. But unfortunately, several users reported that OneDrive can also cause PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. In order to fix this issue, you’ll have to disable OneDrive, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows key + R, type regedit and click ok
- This will open the Windows registry screen, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- Here expand the Windows key and search for OneDrive key.
If onedrive key doesn’t exist then create it, to do this. Right-click Windows key and choose New > Key. Enter OneDrive as the name of the key.
- Select the OneDrive key.
- In the right pane, right-click and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter DisableFileSyncNGSC as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double click the DisableFileSyncNGSC and change its Value data to 1.
- Click OK to save changes.
Repair corrupted Windows registry
Corrupted registries can create many problems including pfn list corrupt BSOD in your PC. It also may make your PC slower. So, It is always good to delete or fix the corrupted or missing registries.
By scanning the registry and removing invalid entries related to the PFN_List_Corrupt error you can fix the Error. Find free tools Like Ccleaner to fix Corrupt registry and optimize system performance.
If you still encounter pfn list corrupt windows 10 Blue Screen Error Try To Restore your system to a specific Restore point when your system running well.
Video explains How to Fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error on Windows 10
Did these solutions help fix the pfn_list_corrupt blue screen error on windows 10? Let us know which one work for you, Also read: