After upgrade to the latest Windows 10 version 2004 Photos app causing problems, Windows 10 Photos App didn’t start (Photos won’t open or crashes) prevent users to open and view image files or photos with Photos App. Usually, the Photos app crashes due to several common reasons such as glitched out system processes, an old data cache, or corrupted program files. Here some solutions you may apply to quickly fix Photos App not opening on windows 10.
Microsoft Photos App not working windows 10
Microsoft regularly rolls out security updates with bug fixes, may the latest windows update contain the bug fix which causing the photo app not opening, crashes. We recommend check and install the latest Windows updates.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open settings
- Click on Update & security then windows update
- hit check for updates button and let download and install windows updates.
Make sure your Display driver is updated. Outdated, incompatible Display driver fails to open graphics contents that’s why we recommend check and update your graphics driver.
Temporarily disable security software, such as antivirus (if installed on your PC)
- Press Windows + R, type WSReset.exe and click on ok.
- This will reset the Microsoft store cache.
- As the Photos app is a Microsoft Store app, this is helpful to fix these issues.
- Close the Microsoft Store App and then try to launch the Photos app again.
Run Windows Store apps troubleshooter
Run the build-in Windows store apps troubleshooter and it to detect and fix the problem prevent photos app from working properly.
- To run the windows store apps troubleshooter open Settings ( Windows + I ),
- Click on Update & security then Troubleshoot
- Here look for and select windows store apps Click on it and Run the troubleshooter as shown image below.
- This will check and fix the problems which causing windows store apps from working properly.
- After that restart windows and open any image via photos app check this working properly.
Reset photos app
Also, try to reset the photos app to its default setup following the steps below.
- Open the settings app using keyboard shortcut Windows + I,
- Click on Apps then Apps & Features –
- Scroll down and click on Photos then Advanced options link,
- Then click on the Reset button on as shown image below.
- That’s all Close the window, restart windows
- On next start check the photo app opening and working properly.
Run sfc utility
Run the System file checker utility to make sure missing corrupt system files not causing the Photo app to crash or not open.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- This will check for missing corrupted system files
- If SFC found any this will restore them from %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, After that restart windows.
Note: If Sfc scan results “windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” Then Run DISM command dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to repair system image and enable sfc to do its job. After Run DISM command again Run SFC utility, Then restart windows and check the photos app working properly.
Check with a new user account
Create a new user account and check with new user account profile photo app working properly.
- To create a new user account open command prompt as administrator,
- Type net user <username> <password>/add
- Then type command net localgroup administrators admin /add to add the newly created user account on to Administrator group.
- That’s all type exit to close the command prompt,
- log off from current user account and login to newly created user account and check photos app working.
Uninstall and Reinstall Photos App
If all the above solutions fail to fix the issue, Then the final option Reinstall the photos app. As this is the built-in app we cant uninstall this,
- Open PowerShell (admin) Then perform the command below to remove the built-in photos app.
Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | Remove-AppxPackage
- After executing the command restart windows,
- And on next start, open Microsoft store
- Search for photos and select the Microsoft photos app
- click the Get button to download and install the photos app on your Windows 10 system.
That’s all, And i am sure applying these solutions your photos app start working normally without any problem or app crash. Still, need any help or have any suggestion about this post feel free to comment below. Also, Read
- Solved: This Site can’t be reached error in Google Chrome, Windows 10
- 5 solutions to fix NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 10/8/7
- Solved: Function keys not working on Windows 10 laptop
- Solved: Start Menu Not Working in Windows 10 Version 1903
- Fix print spooler service not running after windows 10 update