The print spooler is a Windows service that manages all the print jobs you send to your printer. But what if it keeps stopping automatically?
Print spooler is an essential software on windows 11 computers that manage printing tasks and queues them up for being sent to connected printers for printing. This service starts automatically when you turn on your computer and run background check printing tasks. But on some occasions, the print spooler service may stop working and result windows 11 printer not working. A few users report Print Spooler Service keeps stopping automatically on windows 11 computers. Here in this article, we have a few solutions apply the fix such problems.
Why Print Spooler service stops automatically?
The print spooler service is responsible for handling all the printing jobs sent from a computer to a printer or print server. It’s a windows service that takes care of print commands and stores multiple print jobs within a print queue and sends them for printing. And without print spooler service it’s impossible to complete print jobs on your PC.
The printer spooler organizes the printing tasks on your computer.
But sometimes you may notice the print spooler service stops automatically and prevent complete print jobs. Corrupted spooler files, outdated system files or printer drivers, are just a few of the reasons why print Spooler may keep stopping. Again When the printer spooler is overloaded with tasks then you may also face this error.
How to Fix Printer Spooler Errors in Windows 11
You can run the printer troubleshooter that automatically detects and fix printer-related errors on your computer. Also, you can fix the problem by reset or restarting the windows printer spooler. Removing and adding the printer again with the latest printer drivers helped a few users fix the problem. If you are facing Printer Spooler Errors in Windows 11 apply the solution listed below.
Restart your computer and printer that help fix the problem if this error is associated with random and temporary bugs on your system. Also, try opening the file in another program and printing it from there.
In addition, check the printer cable is connected properly between your computer and printer. If you have a wireless printer make sure you are connected to the right network and check the wifi signal strength.
Check and install the latest windows 11 updates on your system that not only bring security enhancements but also address previous bugs and errors with your computer as well.
The latest windows update may have bug fixs for print spooler error
Check print spooler service
While printing if you are getting error print spooler service not running, or the print spooler Keeps Stopping on your laptop automatically, the first thing you need to check if the print spooler service is configured properly.
Set the Print Spooler Service Startup Type to Automatic
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- The services window opens now scroll down to locate Print Spooler, right-click on it select properties,
- Here change the startup type automatic from the drop-down and start the service next to the service status
In addition, Also check and ensure that HTTP Services and the Remote Procedure call (RPC) service is set to Automatic.
- Now move to the Recovery tab, and select restart the service for the first failure, second failure ad subsequent failures.
- Lastly, click on Apply followed by OK, Restart your PC and check if the print spooler stops again.
Run The Printer Troubleshooter
Whenever you experience problems with printing jobs the first thing you need to run the built-in printer troubleshooter. The official printer troubleshooter built-in windows 11, and running it automatically identifies any problems with the printer, its driver and its related services and try to fix them.
To run the printer troubleshooter on windows 11:
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Navigate the system in the left sidebar in the settings, click on Troubleshoot and then click on other troubleshooters
- This will display list of available troubleshooters, scroll down and click on the run option next to the printer.
Clear Print Spooler cache
Sometimes you may experience the print spooler keeps stopping when the Printer Spooler is overloaded with various printing jobs. Again corruption on the Print Spooler cache also stops the print spooler running. Let’s first clear the printer queue if there and then Delete the Print Spooler cache. Before cleaning the Print Spooler cache, you need to stop the Print Spooler service first.
Reset the print spooler and try sending your file to the printer again.
Delete the print spooler files manually and restart the service.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok to open the services window
- Scroll down to locate the print spooler service, right-click on it select stop,
- Now press the windows key + E and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\spool\printers
- Here select everything in the printer’s folder, and delete them.
- Again head back to the Print Spooler service, right-click on it select start.
- Now try printing from the printer, and you should now not encounter the Printer Spooler errors in Windows 11.
Fixing Print Spooler Using Command Prompt
If the above methods didn’t help you fix the issue that you were facing, then you should try using the Command prompt to fix it.
Note – This method is the same as the previous method, Instead of the Services app, you will be using the command prompt here to fix the issue.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
- Now in the command prompt, type the following commands, and execute them
- net stop spooler
- del /Q /F /S “%systemroot%\System32\Spool\Printers\*.*”
- net start spooler
Once done, you should now no longer face the issue.
Update the printer drivers
Again Outdated device drivers are a very common cause of all kinds of hardware problems. Try updating your printer driver to see if that helps resolve the error.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok to open the device manager,
- expand the Print queues section, Right-click on your printer and select Update driver.
- Next, select Search automatically for drivers, Windows will scan for a new driver update and download and install it if available.
Note: If no new updates are available, use your printer manufacturer’s website to download the latest driver for your printer model.
Again If you’re using an old printer that requires an equally old program or drivers to work, try running the associated app and drivers in Windows Compatibility Mode.
Reinstall The Printer
If still you are experiencing the same problem, Let’s try to Remove your printer and add it back again. To remove a printer, first,
- Press the Windows key + X and select Settings.
- In the left pane, click on Bluetooth & devices then Printers & scanners.
- Now locate and click on your printer and then Click the Remove button in the top right corner and click Yes to confirm the action.
- Once done, restart your PC, to completely remove the device.
- Now download the latest drivers for your printer from the manufacturer’s website and complete the setup.
Did the above solutions help fix the printer problems or Print Spooler Service keeps stopping automatically on windows 11? Let us know on the comments below.
- How to fix cannot start print spooler 1068 windows 10
- HP Printer Not Printing or documents in queue not printing [Troubleshooting Guide]
- Solved: Printer only print one page then hangs until reboot Windows 10
- How To fix Devices and Printers not Loading on Windows 10/11
- Fix Windows Cannot Connect to the Printer Error in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Printer keeps going offline? Let’s make it online