The search bar on windows 11 allows you to search on your computer for local items and on the Web for other related items. And the search function on windows 11 is extremely fast to find files or folders and launch apps that you need. You can press the Windows key + S to quickly open the search bar and search within your PC apps, documents, web and more. But sometimes you may experience Windows 11 search bar not working or fails to load, or is it not pulling up any results. Even a few users report, Can’t Type in Windows 11 Search Bar or the search bar is unresponsive when they input text into it. Here in this article, we try to find the reason behind this problem and share some valuable solutions to apply when Windows 11 Search is not working.
Why can’t type in Windows search?
There are multiple reasons that may cause the search bar not working in windows 11. It may be a temporary glitch and your computer may just need a restart to get it working again. The search results not showing because the windows search service not running. The search bar fails to load because system files are corrupted, or due to virus malware infection or buggy update disable the Windows search bar and it won’t allow you to type any query.
Windows 11 search bar not working
Installing the latest windows 11 updates and running the Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter is very effective to fix such problems. Again to make the windows 11 search bar work again you need to check the windows search service is running or restart the service. In addition, run the SFC scan on windows 11 to check for the presence of corrupt system files that prevent search bar load.
Let’s first restart your computer. If it’s a simple glitch preventing windows search from loading results restarting the computer should solve the issue and you may be able to type your query on the search bar.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard, click on the power icon then select the restart option.
Update windows 11
Sometimes an outdated Windows 11 OS is often the cause of this issue. You need to make sure that your PC is running on the latest version of Windows OS. Microsoft regularly releases patch updates with previous bug fixes and security enhancements. Let’s check and install if any windows updates are pending there that may have bug fixes for the windows 11 search problem.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings from the context menu,
- Go to windows update at the bottom left panel and hit check for updates at the middle,
- Make sure you are connected to a stable internet connection to check for available updates,
- If updates are pending there allow them to download and install on your computer,
- Once done you need to reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Now check the search bar opens and, the search function on windows 11 working again.
Restart the Windows Search service
Windows search service plays an important role in the windows 11 search function. And When you turn on your computer windows automatically launches the search services in the background. But if due to some reason the windows search service not started or it’s stuck running you may experience problems with the search function.
Another way to fix this search bar issue is to restart the Windows Search service.
Let’s First restart Windows Search Bar Process in taskmanager:
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key simultaneously on your keyboard to open taskmanager,
- Now switch to the Details tab and sort by name, here scroll down to Look for the “SearchHost.exe” process in the list right-click on it and tap the “End Task” button.
- Click on End process when windows will pop up for confirmation
Next time when you click on the Search bar on the taskbar, SearchHost.exe will restart and the search bar should start to work correctly again.
Restart the windows search service:
Still, windows 11 search dint pull search results? you need to check and restart the windows service by following the steps below.
- Press the Windows key + R, type services.msc to open the windows service console,
- Scroll down and locate the windows search service, right-click on it select restart,
- If the search service not started, double click on it to open its properties, here change the startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
Run search and indexing Troubleshooter
Microsoft offers a built-in troubleshooter tool to fix search-related issues. If the windows 11 search not pulling up any results, Run the build in search and indexing troubleshooter that help identify and fix problems automatically.
- Press the Windows key + I to open settings,
- Navigate to system, then troubleshoot and click on the other troubleshooters option,
- Scroll down the list to Search and Indexing, select it and click the Run button next to it
- When the troubleshooter launches, check the problem you’re having and follow the onscreen instructions.
- This tool will now look for problems that are causing technical issues on the search feature of Windows work and fix the same.
Let the troubleshooter identify and automatically fix the search problem, once done reboot your PC and check if the search function working again on windows 11.
Check for Corrupted System Files
If the above action didn’t fix the problem still search bar crashes when you input text into it may be corrupted system files causing the issue. In addition to the search function not working on windows 11 if you notice the computer running slow, the system crashes or apps fail to open these are symptoms of problems with system files. Let’s run the SFC and DISM commands to repair or restore windows system files.
To run sfc or DISM command, First, you need to open the command prompt as administrator, Hence windows search not working we cant search for it.
Press the Windows key + R, type cmd and press Control + Shift + Enter to open the command prompt as an administrator.
First, run command sfc /scannow and press enter key, this will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
If SFC scan results found corrupted file but are unable to repair them then run the DISM command dism online cleanup-image restorehealth to fix the corrupted system files and replace or update the files by downloading the proper files from the Microsoft server.
Once the scanning process is completed 100%, reboot your computer and check if the search function is restored and its displays search results or not.
Enable Search History on Device
For a few users, Enable Search History on Device and Clear Past Search History help restore the search function on windows 11.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings,
- Navigate Privacy & security then click on search permissions,
- Here Ensure that “Search history on the device” is turned on.
- In addition click on “Clear device search history” then restart your Windows 11 PC
Now check if the windows 11 search bar working and display search results.
Windows 11 search bar not working or can’t type in Windows search problem on your device? Let us know on the comments below.
- Windows 10 Xbox Game bar not working or opening? Here how to fix
- Windows 10 Search not working after the windows update? Apply these solutions
- Mozilla Firefox Not Responding on Windows 11 (7 Solutions)
- What Are Corrupted system Files and How to Fix Them windows 11
- Can’t Adjust Brightness On Windows 11 (7 solutions to fix it)