Here how to Make Windows 10 File Explorer Open to This PC Instead of Quick Access (opens by default) for your user account
With Windows 10 when you click on File Explorer on the taskbar or use the keyboard shortcut Windows + E it opens to Quick Access items by default. This is a welcome addition, so you are able to quickly gain access to recently used files and folders, no matter their location, i.e., OneDrive, an external drive, your local drive, or a network share. The quick access in windows 10 is similar to the ‘All My Files’ option in Mac OS X, showing users their frequently accessed folders and documents. But few of users preferred to have Explorer open to This PC instead of Quick Access. If you are also one of them here how to set File Explorer to launch File Explorer to open This PC instead of Quick Access by default for your user account in Windows 10.
Set File Explorer open to This PC
We have some different options to make file explorer open This PC instead of quick access windows 10.
Using Folder Options
The option of changing the File Explorer default from Quick Access to This PC can be accessed from Folder Options.
- Open File Explorer (using Windows key + E or click File Explorer on the taskbar)
- Now click on the View tab in Ribbon
- Click on Options, and then Change folder and search options.
- That will open up Folder Options, and from there, under the General tab, change Open File Explorer to This PC.
- Remember to click OK for when you’re done for the change to take effect.
- That’s all when you launch a new Explorer window, you’ll start on This PC. Which you’re probably used to from past versions.
Open File Explorer to This PC using Registry
In addition, you can also tweak the windows registry to force Windows 10 File Explorer to Open to This PC Instead of Quick Access.
- Press Windows key + R, type Regedit, and click ok
- This will open Windows registry editor,
- Navigate to the following key, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
- Here On the right-side, look for the value titled LaunchTo.
- Double-click on LaunchTo and then change the Value data from 0 to 1 to make File Explorer always open to This PC. Click OK.
Note: If you didn’t found the LaunchTo then right-click there and select a new DWORD and name it LaunchTo. Now change its value accordingly
2 – Opens “Quick Access”
1 – Opens “This PC”
0 – Opens nothing.
File Explorer opens to Quick Access (instead of This PC)
If you still notice File Explorer opens to Quick Access (instead of This PC) after change the Folder Options apply few solutions listed below.
Restart the File Explorer service from the Windows 10 Task Manager.
- Restart the File Explorer service from the Windows 10 Task Manager.
- Open the Task Manager window, go to the “Processes” tab
- Scroll and locate Windows Explorer process
- Right-clicking on the process and selecting the “Restart” option.
- Or Press the “Restart” button located in the lower right.
Fix File Explorer using the Windows 10 System file checker:
The File Checker (SFC) is an integrated tool in Windows that gives us the ability to analyze and correct errors in the file system.
To make use of this command, we will open a command prompt console as administrators and enter the following command:
sfc / scannow
Once 100% completes the scanning process restart your PC and check if the problem is solved.
- Fix windows explorer not responding to crashes continuously
- Microsoft Outlook Stuck on Loading Profile? Here is how to fix it
- How To Enable GodMode Feature on windows 10
- How to use Nearby Sharing feature on Windows 10
- What Is A DNS Server And How Can You Fix Common Issues Regarding It