Is Google chrome slow or not responding after the windows 11 update? there are various reasons that may cause this issue, here working solutions to fix it
Google Chrome is the market leader of the web browser industry popular for its speed, reliability, and performance. However some users reported, Chrome running slow or not responding after updating to Windows 11 and their browsing experience is altered.
Why is Chrome running so slow? There are many reasons that may impact chrome speed and performance, such as caching blocks, outdated software, some extensions, too many open tabs or too much use of resources, and more. Whatever the reason, here this post brings troubleshooting methods to fix the issue if Google Chrome is Slow on Windows 11.
Fix Slow Google Chrome on Windows 11
Before applying the solutions listed below check and make sure that you have a stable Internet connection. In addition disconnect the VPN (if connected on your device) because that may impact your Internet speed and make chrome slow.
If google chrome won’t open in single or double click then
- Open task manager using shift key + Ctrl key + Esc
- Under the process tab look for Google Chrome, right-click on it, and select end task from the context menu.
- Let’s try to open the browser again.
Pro tip: You can type chrome://restart in the Chrome address bar to relaunch your browser quickly.
Restart your computer
Restarting your PC always fix different issues if it is caused due to any small glitch. It’s a common solution everyone using any gadget carry out at first when any issue happens.
To restart your Windows 11 computer:
- Press the Windows key to open the start menu, at its bottom right corner click on Power.
- Then from the small menu click on Restart
- Once done open the chrome browser and check its performance.
Clear Google Chrome Cache
If you still find Chrome slow on windows 11, then you should try clearing the Google Chrome cache that disperses off the junk files thus clearing up a lot of memory.
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Delete key combinations While the Chrome browser is open or type in chrome://settings/clearBrowserData in the URL box and press enter key,
- Clear Browsing Data dialog box will pop up, go to the advanced tab and select time range all time.
- By default, cookies and other site data, cached images & files will bear a checkmark. If not, manually select these two options.
- And finally click on Clear Data to Clear Google Chrome Cache and cookies, which not only fix the problem but also improve chrome speed as well.
Remove Unwanted Extensions
If you have a number of chrome extensions installed on your browser, it may also cause chrome slow on windows 11. because extensions will perform actions on the page that will delay the loading. You should try removing unwanted extensions, and check if it fixes the slow Chrome or not.
- Open Chrome browser, Then in the address bar type Chrome://Extensions to view all the extensions installed on Chrome.
- Each extension will have an option Remove beside it.
- From here, remove or disable the unwanted extensions and you should be able to use Chrome without it slowing down.
End High CPU Chrome Processes
One of the main reasons behind chrome slow on windows 11 is multiple tabs open on your browser. Again when you start chrome, multiple processes start in the background that includes, preload pages, as well as extensions. These processes consume CPU resources, thus causing Chrome to slow down. Let’s open the chrome task manager to find out which process on Google Chrome is consuming more power and disable them.
To open task manager on chrome:
- Press the shift key + Esc while the browser is open. alternately, click the menu button More, Select More tools → Task Manager.
- This will display a list of processes actively running on the chrome browser,
- Check the Memory Footprint and the CPU Usage and Close the processes which display high CPU usage.
- to do this Click the process to highlight it then click on End Process
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome
The hardware acceleration technique in chrome was introduced to reduce the workload of the CPU in a computer by assigning heavy computing tasks to specialized hardware such as GPU. Enabling this option Speeds up things but sometimes it may cause some unexpected issues like chrome slow on windows 11.
If the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, still chrome slow or not responding then disable hardware acceleration to fix the issue.
- Open chrome settings from the Menu button On the upper right corner
- expand advanced then click on system
- And finally here From the System section, toggle off “hardware acceleration when available
- Restart your Chrome browser and see if it is still slow to open or not.
Disable Preload Pages
- Open chrome settings using chrome://settings/cookies on the address bar,
- And turn off the toggle preload pages for faster browsing and searching
- After doing so, close Google Chrome and then open it again.
Update Google Chrome
If you still face slow Chrome in Windows 11, then you can try updating the browser to fix slow Chrome in Windows 11. Chrome automatically installs updates, but Still, you can manually check for updates and in case the Chrome browser has not been updated.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- In the URL bar type Chrome://Settings.
- On the left-hand panel, click on About Chrome.
- If your PC is connected to the internet, then Chrome will automatically update itself.
- After the Chrome browser updates, re-launch the browser and check the latest build should work smoothly.
Pro Tip: Use an Ad-Blocker Extension, this is the best tool for the browser if you wish to browse the web without any load of scripts and ad codes. Chrome takes around 10-15 secs to load a complete site without adblockers while an adblocker can bring down the load time to a couple of seconds.
- Solved: Google Chrome won’t open windows 10, 8.1, and 7
- How To Fix Google Chrome High CPU Usage Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Solved: Minecraft no internet connection issues on Windows 10
- How to Download Windows 11 Media Creation Tool and its usage
- No Audio after Windows 11 Update? 7 solutions apply to fix it