Getting STATUS_BREAKPOINT error while opening web pages on Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge browser? This error usually occurs due to network issues and a problem with the website you are trying to access. Again outdated versions of the web browsers or faulty browser extensions also cause such problems on the chrome browser. Well Reload the page, remove unnecessary extensions on the browser or Clear Browser’s Cache helps most users fix the STATUS BREAKPOINT error on Chrome or Edge browser.
Fix ERROR: STATUS_BREAKPOINT on chrome
Whenever you encounter such problems we recommend restart your PC and check open the web page again. When you reboot your device it refreshes the windows OS and clears the temporary glitch that may present there and cause such errors.
Again make sure the latest windows updates are installed on your device, that not only secures your device but also patches previous bugs and errors as well.
Check internet connection
Check and make sure you have a stable working internet connection to access the web page. Disconnect VPN if configured on your device and temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus from your device and reload the web page, check if you are able to access the web page.
Also, open the chrome browser in incognito mode, and check if the web page load properly. If yes then there might an extension or browser cache any anything prevents the webpage loading. If still the web page not loading, then first you need to troubleshoot the internet connection.
Update Chrome or Edge Browser
Google chrome or chromium-based edge browser regularly releases updates with various bug fixes, new features and security improvements. If you are using an older version of chrome or edge browser you might experience such errors include slow browser performance. So it would be best if you considered updating your browser to resolve this.
To update the chrome browser:
- Launch the Google Chrome browser on your Computer,
- Click on the horizontal menu icon located at the top right and select settings from the list,
- Switch to the About Chrome section on the Settings page. And Google Chrome should automatically start looking for the latest updates and install them.
- Or you can open the web browser, type chrome://settings/help on the address bar and press enter key to check for chrome updates and install them.
To update the Microsoft Edge browser:-
The process of updating the Microsoft Edge browser is the same as we do for Chrome.
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on your computer,
- Type edge://settings/help at the address bar and hit the enter key
- The Edge will automatically start checking for updates and install if any.
Once you’ve updated the browser, just check if the STATUS_BREAKPOINT error is still appearing. I believe the error should be resolved after the update.
Clear Browser Cache & Cookies
Your web browser stores cache and cookies to improve the internet browsing experience. But sometimes corrupted cache or a large amount of cache stored on your browser not only slow down the browser but also cause different errors include this Status_Breakpoint Error. Let’s Clear Browser Cache & Cookies and check if this helps load the web page again.
- Open the Chrome browser, click on the three-dotted icon > More tools then click on Clear browsing data
- Or you can type chrome://settings/clearBrowserData on the address bar and press enter key to access the same window,
- Here select the time range all times, and checkmark on Browsing history, Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files
- And finally, click on Clear data.
In the same way, you can clear cache and cookies on the Microsoft Edge browser as well, Now re-open the browser and check If you still experience Error Code: STATUS_BREAKPOINT or not.
Remove unnecessary Extensions
Some of the extensions you might have installed may also trigger status_breakpoint errors. Let’s disable or remove the browser extensions and check if this helps fix the error.
- Launch Chrome and type chrome://extensions in URL Bar and hit the enter key,
- This will display all installed Chrome extensions listed on your device,
- Here Switch Off the toggle for the extension to disable it.
- Also, there is a remove option to remove or delete the extension from your browser
- First, disable all extensions and try to reload the webpage, if it’s not causing any error then enable the extensions one after one and check after enabling which extension the error triggers.
Similarly, we can also remove the extensions from the Edge browser:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on the computer.
- Tap on the 3 dotted menu from the left top corner.
- Choose the Extensions menu from the list.
- This will display the list of extensions installed on the edge chromium.
- Select the extension and hit on the Remove command link.
Rename the .exe Filename
Here is a simple trick that helps many users fix the STATUS_BREAKPOINT error on Chrome or edge browser.
- First, close the Chrome browser if it’s running then, open file explorer using Windows key + E,
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application
Note: If you have installed Chrome in a different location, navigate to the same.
- Here right-click on Chrome.exe and rename it to Chromeold.exe or whatever you like.
- Finally, restart Chrome and check if you have fixed the issue.
- If you are getting this error on the Edge browser then navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application.
- Right-click on msedge.exe and rename it to myedgebrowser.exe.
- Restart the browser and check if the error is gone.
Although the exact reason for this error is not traceable, it occurs due to many issues. But the official explanation for Microsoft on the Error code is “Hardware defined breakpoint.”
This might mean nothing to the normal end-users, the developers find something, and they can patch it. So until then, we have to try on our side all possible solutions to fix it.