A number of windows users report After install Windows 10 version 1903 USB Ports stopped working on their laptop. Some others “USB device is not recognized” after the Windows 10 Update. None of the USB devices will work be it USB Mouse, Keyboard, Printer or Pendrive, so the issue is definitely related to USB Ports rather than the device itself.
Post Contents :-
- 1 Windows 10 USB not recognized
Windows 10 USB not recognized
This problem “USB Ports not working on Windows 10 version 1903” is mostly related to the drivers or the USB. The reason that this isn’t a hardware problem is mainly that it’s highly unlikely that all of your USB ports malfunctioned at the same time. Since every computer has multiple USB ports, there’s no way that all of them are faulty especially if they were working fine a few days ago. So, the problem is usually related to the drivers or the USB device itself.
Also sometimes faulty device, damaged USB ports, Power supply issue also cause USB Ports not working on Windows 10. Whatever the reason here some solutions you may apply to fix this problem.
Check if the device itself is faulty
It’s possible that the device which you’re trying to use is faulty and hence it’s not recognizable by Windows. In order to verify that is not the case you, just plug your USB device in another working PC and see if it’s working. So if the device is working on another PC then you can be sure that the problem is related to USB Ports and we can continue with the next method.
Install Windows update
Running Windows Update will check for operating system updates required for your computer include device drivers that probably help to fix several problems include USB ports/device not working on windows 10.
- Open Settings app using keyboard shortcut Windows + I
- Click on Update & security than Windows update,
- Here click on check for updates button and let windows to download and install latest windows updates if available there.
- Restart windows to apply the latest update and check if the USB ports start working.
Check for Power Supply
If you are facing USB device not working (USB device is not recognized ) on Windows 10 Laptop. This is very useful as Your laptop’s power supply is delivered to your USB ports. In case if it fails to do this properly, then the devices plugged into these USB ports may not work. This mostly happens when windows wakeup from sleep mode.
- That cause simply Unplug the power supply and charger from your laptop.
- Shut down windows And Remove the Battery.
- Then press and hold the power button for 30 sec.
- Now Insert the Batter as is Previously and start the system.
- Connect the USB devices to the laptop again and check its working properly.
Disable the Selective Suspend feature
This is another Effective solution as Windows by default switch your USB controllers in order to save power (typically when the device is not in use) and once the device is needed, Windows again turn ON the device. But sometimes due to any reason or some corrupt settings, Windows is not able to turn ON the device and cause USB device Stop working. That cause
- Open Device Manager.
- Find the Universal Serial Bus Controllers > expand.
- Find the USB Root Hub device in the list.
- Go to Power Management.
- Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power > OK.
Note: Do the same process for Other Installed USB Root Hub device.
Change power configuration and Turn off Fast Boot
Some users, report disable Fast startup Feature help them to fix the problem “USB device not working on windows 10.” You Can also Try to disable Fast startup feature from following below:
- Press Windows key + R type powercfg.cpl and press enter
- Select Choose what the power buttons do
- Select Change settings that are currently unavailable
- Uncheck the box that says Turn on fast startup (recommended). It can be found in the Shutdown settings section
- Click Save Settings
Disable USB selective suspend feature
According to some users, you might be able to fix this problem simply by disabling USB selective suspend feature. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open control panel, search for and select power options,
- Next select Change plan settings next to your currently selected plan.
- Now click on Change advanced power settings.
- Navigate to USB settings and set USB selective suspend setting to Disabled.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
Update Drivers for (Universal Serial Bus) USB controllers
If all the above solutions didn’t fix the problem, Let’s try update or Reinstall USB controller drivers.
- Right-click on Windows logo > Select Device Manager.
- Expand Universal Serial BUS controllers
- Find the device with a yellow exclamation mark.
- Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software… > Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- And follow on-screen instructions to let windows check for the latest available driver.
- If found any windows automatically download and install it for you.
Also If there is no new update, right-click and select Uninstall > OK. Go to the Action tab in the Device Manager window > Select Scan for hardware changes > Then the USB port will appear.
After this, reconnect your portable devices to your PC and there your USB or SD card etc devices will show up on your PC now.
Also, check this video explain How to Fix a Dead USB Port in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
Did these solutions help to fix “USB Ports not working” or “USB device is not recognized” error on windows 10? Let us know which option worked for you, Also Read
- Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware (Code 37)
- iTunes (Windows Store Version) won’t open on Windows 10? Here 5 Solutions to fix!
- 5 Solutions to Fix a Black Screen of Death Error in Windows 10
- Fix Error USB Device Not Recognized error code 43 on windows 10
- Enable Windows Sandbox feature on Windows 10 1903, May 2019 update