- 1 YouTube videos not playing in Chrome
YouTube videos not playing in Chrome
There are chances, a temporary glitch prevents playing videos on the chrome browser. Close your chrome browser and restart your PC, to refresh the operating system, and clear temporary glitches or minor bugs there that might prevent Google chrome from playing videos on windows 11.
Sometimes this problem may cause because of youtube server issues, visit https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/youtube.com.html and check the youtube server status.
Pro tip- If youtube videos not playing on chrome browser, then pause or disable the Adblock extension and check if the issue resolved.
With the chrome browser open, press shift + ctrl + N to start Chrome in Incognito mode. Now visit youtube.com and try to play a video. If there is no problem playing videos on chrome browser then clear the browser cache or disable extensions help fix the problem.
But if the problem continues, Youtube Not Working on Chrome Incognito mode you need to check and fix your internet problem first.
Check internet speed
You need a stable working internet connection to watch online videos on your PC. You can check your internet download speed here at speedtest.net or Fast.com
If you notice youtube video stop frequently, then Press the Windows key + R type ping youtube.com -t and click ok. Check if continuously getting from youtube.com if the replay breaks you need to troubleshoot your internet connection.
In addition, disconnect VPN if configured on your device and temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus. And now try to play a youtube video on your chrome browser.
Update Google Chrome
To get the best from your chrome browser, make sure it’s up to date. Google regularly releases chrome updates with new features, security enhancements and resolves compatibility and bug-related problems. Update chrome with the latest version not only fix the video not playing issue but also improves browser performance and speeds it up.
- First, open the Chrome browser on your computer.
- Click on the three dots menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Navigate to the Help option in the drop-down menu, and select About Google Chrome from the submenu.
- Or you can type chrome://settings/help in the address bar and press enter key to allow check and download the latest chrome update on your device.
- If new updates are available it will download and install automatically, once done Click on the Relaunch button and try to play videos again
corrupted browser cache or cookies also make chrome act up randomly. If a youtube video plays perfectly in incognito window on chrome but causes issue on a normal chrome browser then it reveals that cache, cookies, browsing history, and temporary files are not letting your videos play in Chrome.
Cleaning overburdened browsing data in your Google Chrome give the browser new wheels.
- Open the Google chrome browser on your computer, then tap on the three-dot menu at the top.
- Navigate to More tools then select Clear browsing data option, Or type chrome://settings/clearBrowserData in the address bar and hit the enter key,
- This will open the popup with options to clear browsing data on the chrome browser, choose a time range between 24 hr to all time,
- Checkmark on Cache and Cookies files to delete from the following menu.
- Then relaunch the Google Chrome browser and inspect if the problems with YouTube have been fixed or not.
Disable chrome extensions
There are chances some third-party extensions such as Adblocker interfere with youtube playback on Chrome browser. Open chrome in incognito mode using ctrl + shift + N key and try to play any youtube video. If everything is ok there then might some extensions prevent chrome browser from playing youtube videos. Let’s disable or remove the chrome extension the and probebly fix the video not playing issue on chrome.
Disable the extensions and plugins once and then try to play videos in Chrome.
- Open Google Chrome, tap on the three-dot menu at the top, and Navigate to More tools then Extensions.
- Or you can access the chrome extension directly using chrome://extensions/ on the address bar.
- This will display all installed or enabled chrome extension list,
- Toggle off all the extensions and play a video on youtube.
Also, there is a Remove button beside the potential problematic extension to erase it from the browser.
Disable Hardware Acceleration in Chrome
Hardware Acceleration in Chrome utilizes the GPU of your computer to play high-resolution videos or other Graphics intensive tasks for which CPU is not enough. But sometimes hardware acceleration may not perform due to driver issues and cause problems playing videos in Chrome. Let’s disable the Hardware Acceleration in the browser settings and check if the chrome youtube video not playing issue is solved.
The hardware acceleration feature in Chrome can sometimes prevent videos from playing.
- Open Chrome browser, navigate t Settings then System
- Or you can type chrome://settings/system in the address bar and press enter key,
- Now under the system section look for the option Use hardware acceleration when available and toggle off the button next to it.
- Go ahead and try the YouTube playback again in the Chrome browser.
- Open the Google Chrome browser on your computer, tap on the three-dot menu at the upper right corner, and select Settings.
Reset Chrome settings
Still the problem not resolved, chrome not playing youtube videos? Let’s reset or restore Chrome’s settings to default. This will fix any problem or correct any incorrect settings and your web videos can play again without any issues.
Follow the below steps to reset Chrome:
- Open the Chrome browser, select the menu button locate upper right corner of the browser and select settings from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the Reset and clean up option then click on restore settings to their original defaults,
- The confirmation popup opens, click the reset settings button
- Or you can type chrome://settings/resetProfileSettings?origin=userclick in the address bar and click on reset settings button to restore Chrome’s settings to default
Once the process finishes, open your web video in Chrome on your computer. They should be now playing properly.
Update graphics driver
For a few windows 11 users, Updating the graphics drivers help them fix the video not playing issue on their computer. Let’s update or reinstall the graphics driver following the steps below and check if this fixes the chrome video not playing issue on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- Locate and expand the Display adapters section, find the graphics drivers Right-click on it, and select Update Driver.
- Select the option search automatically for drivers and follow on-screen instructions to download driver updates from the Microsoft server.
Windows OS will automatically find and install the latest graphics drivers on the device. Reboot your system to apply the changes and check if there is no problem playing videos on windows 11.
Try Microsoft edge or firefox
If you are still facing YouTube not working on Google Chrome, it’s time to look for Chrome alternatives. We recommend going with Microsoft Edge or Firefox to play YouTube videos without any glitches.
- Wi-Fi Keeps Disconnecting on Windows 11 (9 ways to fix the problem)
- Windows 11 Photos App not opening or Not working? Try these solutions
- How to Speed Up Microsoft Edge browser on windows 10 / 11(Updated)
- 5 solutions to fix NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM error in Windows 11 and 10
- Best free apps you should use on your new Windows 11 PC
- 5 Best Cybersecurity Tips to Protect Your Windows PC From hackers