VPN Stopped Working or internet not working after connecting to vpn server? Here are 7 ways to Fix a VPN That’s Not Connecting
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network encrypts your internet traffic, and protects your online activity and privacy by hiding your real IP address and creating a secure, encrypted tunnel to access the internet. Using VPN has lots of benefits and a number of people prefer using VPN who are concerned about their online privacy. It’s super easy to use VPN and protect the online activity, install the VPN client and connect to a VPN server and your all activity are protected. But few users report Why There is No Internet When My VPN Is On or VPN not connecting or VPN not working on windows 11. There are multiple reasons why you have trouble connecting to your VPN. Software incompatibility Outdated cached DNS data, technical reasons such as server issues, or firewall might be blocking the VPN. Here in this article, we have effective solutions to fix the Most Common VPN Issues on windows 11.
Windows 11 VPN not working
Flush the DNS cache, reinstall the VPN client software and turn off firewalls are the most effective ways to fix VPN not working problem on windows 11. Changing the VPN tunneling protocol or clear your browser cache and cookies is also very effective to fix when you are struggling to connect internet when VPN is turned on. In addition, install the latest windows updates on your computer and check your internet speed at fast.com or speedtest.net.
sometimes the server you’re trying to connect to is having issues and you are getting error while connecting it. If you have a working internet connection then restart your computer and try to connect to a different VPN server location.
Update windows 11
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with the latest bug fix and security enhancements. check and install the latest windows 11 updates to make sure previous bugs or glitches not prevent connect VPN server.
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Navigate windows update then hit the check for updates button,
- If new updates are available allow them to download and install on your computer,
- Next, click on advanced options and check if there are any driver updates pending there
- Allow them to download and install and finally reboot your PC to apply them
Reinstall the VPN client
VPN service provider regularly update their client software to eliminate the possibility of bugs and to maximize performance. The next thing you need to ensure you’re running the latest version of your VPN client software.
Also, you can uninstall and then re-install the VPN client software which will restore all the necessary files on your computer.
- Open the VPN client software and check if new updates available or pending there for the installation.
- Or uninstall the current VPN client software from Add or remove programs settings,
- Now visit your VPN service provider and download and install the latest software package for your operating system
- Here Ensure you entered the correct passwords (without spaces) and usernames.
- In addition, Check the date and time settings on your computer to ensure they’re correct.
Change the VPN tunneling protocol
Still having a problem connecting the VPN server, open the VPN client software then navigate to Network settings
Here try using different protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, or IKeV2/IPSec, for example.
Flush your DNS Cache
If VPN won’t connect or no internet after connecting to VPN flush the DNS cache is probably the best solution to fix the problem. This will remove out-of-date or corrupt DNS settings and resolve security, internet connectivity, and other issues.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right-click on the command prompt select run as administrator,
- Now run the command ipconfig/ flushdns to flush the DNS cache.
In addition, run the following command to perform additional troubleshooting and fix the internet problem on windows 11.
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
Now close the command prompt and restart your computer. Let’s try to connect to the VPN server and check if the issue is resolved.
Few users mention Disable the IPv6 help them fix the problem. They can now connect VPN and the internet working with VPN enabled.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok The network connections window opens,
- locate your active network adapter, right click on it select properties
- Here, uncheck the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)” box.
- Click ok to save changes.
Disable Proxy Server and firewall Settings
Proxy server act as gateways between you and the internet and windows firewall protects your PC and local network from malware attacks. Let’s temporarily disable both of these options and check if VPN working now.
To disable proxy server settings
- Press the Windows key + X and select settings
- Navigate Network & internet then proxy
- Here toggle off the automatic detect proxy settings option
- In addition under manual proxy, setup look if “Use a Proxy Server” is on then click setup.
- Turn off the “Use a Proxy Server” and Click Save and restart your PC. Now, again try your VPN.
To Disable Windows Firewall
- Press Windows key + R, type control firewall.cpl and click ok to open windows defender firewall
- In the left panel, click on “Turn Windows defender Firewall On or Off”.
- Now, select “Turn off Windows Defender Firewall” box for both private and public network settings
- Click ok and Close the Windows Defender Firewall Window and restart your PC to apply the settings.
- Now check if this help fix the VPN problem on windows 11
Re-install WAN Miniport Drivers
Still having a problem connecting VPN on windows 11, Re-install the WAN Miniport Drivers probably help fix the issue. WAN Miniport Drivers are the software drivers that are used for making network connections or connections to VPN servers.
- Press the windows key + x and select device manager,
- Locate and expand network adapters then right-click on “WAN Miniport (IP)” and select Uninstall Device.
- In addition un-install WAN Miniport (IPv6) and WAN Miniport (PPTP) as well.
- Once done reboot your PC, and wait it will re-install these drivers automatically.
- Now Check the VPN is working or not.
Still, VPN won’t connect, or VPN not working on windows 11? It’s time to connect VPN service provider and ask for help. Most of premium VPN subscription comes with 24×7 chat support if you are using a free VPN check their support tutorial for help why VPN not working on windows 11.
- What Makes a VPN Different from a Proxy Network? explained
- How to Configure a Proxy on Windows 11 (3 ways)
- Windows 11 Start Menu Not Working? 9 solutions to fix it
- Windows 10 can’t detect Network Proxy Settings? Here 5 working solutions
- No Wi-Fi after Windows 11 update (5 steps to restoring it)
- 7 tips to Improve Laptop Battery Life on Windows 11