There could be any number of reasons you can’t reach the internet, here is how to fix the limited internet access problem and restore the internet access on your PC or Laptop
Did you notice Your PC or Laptop is connected to wifi network but there is no internet access on windows 11. And this problem prevents you from accessing certain websites and downloading apps or games. This problem usually means, windows 11 PC or laptop has successfully connected to the WiFi router, but the computer wasn’t assigned a valid IP address. Or indicate that a valid IP address was assigned but that windows 11 doesn’t have Internet connectivity because of incorrect configuration. Every device need a valid IP address to communicate on the network or internet and that’s usually assigned by DHCP server. There are several reasons why DHCP Server fails to assign IP Address and that result Limited connectivity or No internet access problem. Here is how to Troubleshoot limited internet access errors in Windows 11.
- 1 Wi-Fi connected but no Internet
Wi-Fi connected but no Internet
The primary reason for this problem is the DHCP server is not responding. Again, incorrect Network configuration, problems with Network adapter or outdated Wi-Fi driver also could be the reason why Wi-Fi Connected but No Internet access on your PC or laptop.
- Open windows services using services.msc and restart the DHCP client service.
- Run the Network adapter troubleshooter and internet troubleshooter automatically detect and fix the problem on your PC.
- In addition, Outdated Wi-Fi driver or corrupted Windows system files also prevent windows 11 getting valid IP address form DHCP server.
- Reset Network adapter is another effective solution that fixes most of Network and internet problems on windows 11.
Restart your PC and Wi-Fi Router
This is the first thing you need to do whenever you experience a problem with network and internet connectivity. Just restart your computer, and the Wi-Fi router (powering it down, and then turning it back).
- When you reboot windows 11 it will refresh the operating system, restart all services and programs and cleare temporary glitch that might be causing the internet problem.
- At the same time, it could be a temporary glitch on Wi-Fi router that prevents DHCP assign a valid IP address to connect the device on the network and access Internet.
Check the Wi-Fi signal
The next thing you need to ensure the Wi-Fi signal on your laptop. If possible, take your laptop closer to the router or Access point.
If you are connected to VPN server, disconnect it and check if the internet connection restored. If yest you need to check with VPN service provide to identify and fix the problem.
Sometimes you may experience Wi-Fi connected but no Internet access, If you have a data cap, and you exceed it, your Wi-Fi network might show limited access once you connect to it. You can check Data usage on Settings -> Network & Internet > Advanced network settings > Data usage.
If you have unlimited Internet plan and there is no data cap then, Turn Off the Metered Connection Feature that probably restores the internet access. Open settings -> Network & internet > Wi-Fi. Select the network you’re connected to and turn off the Metered connection option.
Restart DHCP client service
If due to any reason the DHCP client service stuck running or not started, your PC might fail to get a Valid IP address from WiFi router. In such cause you notice laptop is connected to Wi-Fi network but there is no internet access.
- Press windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok.
- This will open windows service console, locate the DHCP client service, right click on it select restart,
- If the service not started, Right click on DHCP client service select properties.
- Change the startup type automatic and start the service next to service status.
- Now disconnect and reconnect to the Wi-Fi network and that is probably enough to fix the limited access issue.
Run the Network Troubleshooter
Microsoft includes plenty of troubleshooting tools with windows 11 that you can use to fix minor problems and keep your computer running smoothly. There is a network troubleshooter that checks problems with network adapter and its related driver, and Internet troubleshooter automatically detects incorrect internet configuration and try to fix them for you. Let’s run the troubleshooter and let windows fix the internet problem for you.
Network troubleshooter to help fix some common network and internet connection issues.
- Press windows key + X and select settings,
- Go to system then Troubleshoot and click on other troubleshooters,
- Locate the Network adapter troubleshooter and click Run next to it,
- Select the Wi-Fi option and go through the following instructions.
- Next locate the Internet troubleshooter and click Run next to it
Once the diagnosis is complete, reboot your PC and connect to the Wi-Fi network to check if the internet connection is restored.
Change Wi-Fi power management setting
Depending on your power management settings, Windows might turn off the network adapter if your computer has a low battery. While this may keep your computer working longer, it will cause the Wi-Fi network to show limited access. Let’s Stop Windows from Turning Off the Network Adapter that probably help fix the problem, its especially helpful if wifi disconnect frequently.
- Press windows key + X and select Device manager
- Locate and expand the Network adapter then Double Click on the Wi-Fi Driver which you are using.
- Move to Power Management Tab then Uncheck The option saying “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”.
Reset network configuration
Incorrect network configuration could be the reason why internet not working or getting limited access error.
Press windows key + S and type cmd, right click on command prompt select run as administrator. Now perform following commands, once done reboot your PC
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh int ipv4 reset
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- ipconfig /flushdns
Restart the Wi-Fi Adapter
For some users Restarting the Wi-Fi network adapter solve wireless issues, including internet limited access. If this does not work, you should try to update or reinstall the Wi-Fi driver on your computer.
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Locate and extend the Network adapter list.
- Right-click the wireless adapter and select Disable device.
- Wait a few seconds, right-click it again, and select Enable device.
Update Wi-Fi Driver
Outdated network adapter drivers may also cause limited Internet access problems, update the wifi adapter driver fixes the issue.
- Again, open Device Manager and expand the Network adapter
- Right-click on the Wi-Fi adapter, and select Update driver.
- In the next window, select Install drivers automatically, so Windows will search for and install the latest version available.
Switch to Google DNS
It’s another effective way to restore internet access on your windows 11 PC.
- Press windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok to open network connections
- Right click on wireless adapter and select properties.
- Double click on Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) to open properties,
- Select use the following DNS server addresses and set preferred DNS 18.104.22.168 and Alternate DNS 22.214.171.124
- Click ok and apply to save changes, now check if the internet access is restored on your PC
Reset Your Network
If you’ve gone through the above instructions but the internet access is not yet restored, you should reset the network. This will revert network settings to their default values and reinstall all the network adapters.
- Press Win + I to bring up Windows Settings.
- Go to Network & internet > Advanced network settings.
- Head to the More settings section and click Network reset.
- Click the Reset now button.
Once done reboot your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Still the problem is not solved and the internet is not working on windows 11, it’s time to contact internet service provider for help.
- No Wi-Fi after Windows 11 update (5 steps to restore it)
- 6 solutions to fix No Wi-Fi network found on Windows 10
- Laptop Wi-Fi Not working after windows 11 update (7 solutions)
- Can’t install apps from microsoft store windows 11 (9 ways to fix it)
- 7 ways to fix Microsoft Edge Black Screen Issue on Windows 11