With Windows 10 October 2018 update Microsoft has Introduced A automatic Video Brightness Feature that automatically adjusts video brightness depending on the ambient light. It uses the light sensor on your device to determine the amount of surrounding light, and then based on a predefined algorithm, it adjusts video brightness in order to improve image quality and make it possible to view objects on the screen even in direct sunlight.
- “There’s a new viewing mode for you to try out, designed to improve the visibility of your video when you are in a very bright environment. This feature uses the light sensor on your device to detect your ambient light and automatically adjusts your video accordingly,”.
- The auto brightness feature is already available in the latest Windows 10 build and you would need to go to Settings> Apps > Video playback > “Adjust video based on lightning” to enable it on your PCs.
The new feature automatically adjusts the video brightness depending on the light. It works on similar lines to the auto brightness feature on Windows 10 Mobile.
The device must have a light sensor To Work This feature:
In order for this feature to work, your device must have a light sensor. There are a couple different ways you can check:
- Go to “Display Settings” in the Settings app. If you have the option to turn on Auto-brightness, you most likely have a light sensor
- Go to Device Manager. If you have something that sounds like “Light Sensor” under Sensors, you likely have a light sensor.
To enable Auto Adjust Video Based on Lighting in Windows 10, do the following.
- Open the Settings app (Windows + I).
- Go to System > Display.
- On the right, turn on the option Adjust video based on lighting.
- The feature is now enabled.
To disable the option, disable the mentioned option, Adjust video based on lighting. Just open the Settings app, go to System-> Display, and turn off the switch on the right. The feature will be disabled instantly.
Checking for ambient light sensor
This new feature works only if your device includes an ambient light sensor. Although most laptops and tablets come with one of these sensors, you can check if you have one using these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on System.
- Click on Display.
- Check for the Change brightness automatically when lighting changes option.
Along with this Automatic Video brightness feature, Microsoft added a number of new features on Windows 10 October 2018 update such as a cloud powered clipboard history that syncs between your devices, a long-awaited dark theme for File Explorer, Your Phone app that allows Text From Your PC, new Snip & Sketch Tool that makes easier to take a screenshot, SwiftKey keyboard that gives you more accurate autocorrections and predictions by learning your writing style and more. Read Top 5 new features on Windows 10 October 2018 update version 1803