Today Microsoft has released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17713 (Redstone 5) to the Insiders in the Fast Ring. The preview build brings a number of new features and improvements for Microsoft Edge, Bunch of new features to Notepad, Display(HDR), Fluent Design, Defender Application Guard, Biometric Login, Web Sign-in to Windows 10, and other tweaks, fixes, updates and more.
Microsoft also announced that Redstone 5, the current insider builds the used to test and introduce new features and improvements is being forked into its own branch called “RS5_RELEASE”. This branch will be used to stabilize the current feature set, remove any existing bugs, and get it ready for release.
Also Users who are currently in the skip-ahead ring will be reset to the Fast Ring. In the comings weeks, Microsoft will announce when Skip Ahead enrollment is open so that you can try to opt into it again. As there will be limited slots, those who want to be in the skip ahead builds should attempt to do so as soon as it opens.
Post Contents :-
- 1 Windows 10 build 17713 features
- 1.1 Microsoft Edge media autoplay control
- 1.2 Bunch of new features and improvements to Notepad
- 1.3 Improved Windows Defender Application Guard
- 1.4 Web Sign-in to Windows 10
- 1.5 Windows Ink Updates
- 1.6 Biometric Authentication on a Remote Machine
- 1.7 Download Windows 10 Insider preview Build 17713
Windows 10 build 17713 features
According to Microsoft Windows 10 build 17713 brings various improvements to Microsoft Edge, such as auto-play on a per-page basis, word lookup, and PDF reader changes. Notepad receives a bunch of new features and changes like text zooming and line numbers with word-wrap. Windows Hello support for remote desktop, web sign-in and faster sign-in options. Windows Defender Application Guard and Windows Ink improvements, and much more. Here we have collected brief of new features and changes introduced with Redstone 5 Build 17713.
Microsoft Edge media autoplay control
With Redstone 5 build 17713 Microsoft Edge introduces a new media autoplay control that allows control whether a site can autoplay videos on a per-site basis. You can configure this setting for a particular site by going into the “Website Permission” section when browsing the site. and you would need to click “manage permissions” to get started. This section can be accessed by clicking on the lock button (SSL sites) or the information button (non-ssl) to the left of the address in the address bar.
Microsoft is also integrating dictionary function directly into Edge browser and you can now look up definitions for words in Reading View, Books, and PDFs. You would need to select a word and the definition of the selected text would appear on your screen.
Microsoft is adding a new option called “Add notes” to the toolbar that allow you to annotate a PDF document. Microsoft is also making the PDF tools easily accessible and you can pin the tools to the top of the document if you really need them.
Also Microsoft is improving the Edge browser rendering engine that We’ve included a bunch of rendering performance fixes with this build. Microsoft says that you will see fewer white pages when you navigate through PDF files.
Bunch of new features and improvements to Notepad
With this build 17713 Notepad getting a bunch of new features and improvements such as you will find an improved version of wrap-around find and replace tool. And that Notepad will remember previously entered values and the state of checkboxes so as to automatically populate them next time users open the “Find” dialog.”.
There’s also an option allowing quick text zooming (under View >Zoom). The current zoom level will be displayed in the status bar and makes it easier to zoom in Notepad by using the Ctrl + Plus, Ctrl + Minus, Ctrl + Mouse Wheel to zoom in and out and use Ctrl + 0 to restore the zoom level to the default.
Also Microsoft state that the new version of Notepad will finally display line and column numbers when word-wrap is enabled. And you can use Ctrl + Backspace to delete the previous word, and arrow keys to unselect text first and then move the cursor.
Other new Notepad additions with this build, according to Microsoft:
Notepad will open the large files faster and you can use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Backspace to delete the previous word.
Arrow keys now correctly unselect text first and then move the cursor.
The line and column number would no longer reset to 1 when saving the document.
Notepad now correctly displays lines that don’t fit entirely on the screen.
Improved Windows Defender Application Guard
Windows Defender Application Guard (WDAG) has an updated user interface inside of the Windows Security section as of this release. Standalone users can install and configure their WDAG settings without needing to change Registry Key settings, among other features.
You can check out this from Windows Security > select App & browser control and under “Isolation browsing,” click the Install Windows Defender Application Guard under Isolated browsing link. Then restart your device, select the Change Application Guard settings link, and then adjust the settings as needed.
Web Sign-in to Windows 10
There’s also a new “Web Sign-In” feature that enables Windows logon support for non-ADFS federated providers, such as SAML. (Web Sign-in only works on Azure Active Directory-joined PCs.) A new “Fast Sign-in” option is designed to enable those with shared or guest Windows 10 PCs to sign in more quickly.
To enable Fast Sign in,
- Set up a shared or guest PC with Windows 10
- Set the following policy to enable Fast Sign in (Policy CSP/Authentication/EnableFastFirstSignIn)
- With the policy enabled, sign-in to a shared PC with your account.
Windows Ink Updates
The inking experience is also getting updated, starting with build 17713, the embedded handwriting will now be the default experience for text entry with a pen in modern applications. Just tap a text area, like a search box, and it will expand to give you a comfortable area in which to write.
Biometric Authentication on a Remote Machine
Azure Active Directory and Active Directory users who use Windows Hello for Business can now use the biometric authentication method to identify on the remote desktop.
To test a new feature, start the Remote Desktop Connection application (mstsc.exe), type the name of the computer you want to connect to, and click Connect.
If authorization is performed using the technology of Windows Hello for Business, Windows will remind you about this and automatically select Windows Hello for Business for authentication in the context of the Remote Desktop session. You can click “Other options” to resort to alternative methods of identification.
You Can read the entire release notes, for Microsoft blog post here. Below are the latest fixes and changes in build 17713:
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where the state of a Narrator command such as toggling Scan Mode on and off, volume up and down, voice speed, changing verbosity and context verbosity commands may not be announced when executed.
- We fixed an issue where you could see pixel thin lines in the fluent shadows depending on where the popup UI had been invoked.
- We fixed an issue where some of the text on the Settings > Privacy > File System page under “Allow apps to access your Filesystem” has some unusual characters in the place of spaces.
- We’ve made some improvements to the performance when loading the Language Settings page.
- We fixed an issue where powercfg /battery report was missing numbers in certain languages.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some apps failing to update via the Microsoft Store with error 0x8007019A if the update was paused and then resumed.
- We’ve adjusted the design of the “Settings and more”/“…” menu in Microsoft Edge so that the text “New inPrivate window” will no longer be clipped and added tips about the keyboard shortcuts for creating a new window and new inPrivate window.
- We fixed an issue where imported favorites on favorites bar in Microsoft Edge may not always load favicons.
- We fixed an issue that could result in an unclosable inPrivate window if it was created by dragging an inPrivate tab out of an existing Microsoft Edge window.
- We fixed an issue resulting comments with markdown on github.com not previewing correctly in Microsoft Edge.
- When viewing the certificate details for a website in Microsoft Edge, the text is now selectable so you can copy it out if needed.
- We fixed an issue resulting in some sites showing an unexpected small blank tooltip when hovering over text fields in Microsoft Edge in the previous flight.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl-key combos on the wide touch keyboard layout wouldn’t work in website text fields when using Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue resulting in an open PDF in Microsoft Edge crashing in the previous flight if you right-clicked on the PDF to bring up the generic context menu.
- We fixed a high hitting DWM crash in the previous flight.
Download Windows 10 Insider preview Build 17713
Users running Windows 10 (Redstone 5) Insider preview build will get the updated to build 17713 automatically via windows update. Or you can check and install updates manually from settings -> update & security -> windows update -> check for update.
Windows 10 Redstone 5, also likely to be known as 1809, is expected to start rolling out to mainstream users around October 2018.