Microsoft Recently released Windows 10 Build 18219 (19H1 development) for devices enrolled in the Fast ring using the Skip Ahead option of the Windows Insider Program. According to company Windows 10 Insider Preview build 18219 includes a number of improvements for Narrator and several bug fixes for Notepad, Task View, Microsoft Edge, and more.
Note: The “19H1” branch is the next big update coming after Redstone 5 and is projected to be finalized in the spring of 2019.
The full list of Narrator changes and improvements can be found below.
- Reliability: We have made improvements in Narrator reliability.
- Scan Mode: Reading and navigating while in Scan Mode has been improved. Selecting text in Scan Mode has also been improved. Selecting forward in Edge has some known issues that we are actively investigating.
- QuickStart: The link in settings to relaunch the QuickStart should now reliably be working and will launch from the very first Welcome page. The QuickStart should also more reliably take focus when Narrator is launched, which means Narrator should start reading it automatically.
- Providing Feedback: The keystroke to provide feedback has changed. The new keystroke is Narrator + Alt + F. This will work both in the Standard and Legacy layouts.
- Note: The Legacy layout also allows you to use Narrator + E to send us feedback.
- Move Next, Move Previous, and Change View: When changing Narrator’s view to either characters, words, lines or paragraphs the Read Current Item command will read the text of that specific view type more reliably.
- Keyboard command changes: The keystroke to Move to begin of text has changed to Narrator + B (was Narrator + Control + B), Move to end of text has changed to Narrator + E (was Narrator + Control + E).
- Braille: Improved usage of Braille commanding when using the Narrator key from the braille display.
In addition to the Narrator Improvements listed above, here is a list of other changes and fixes in today’s release:
- The company fixed an issue resulting in Notepad’s “Search with Bing” feature searching for “10 10” instead of “10 + 10” if that was the search query. We also fixed an issue where accented characters would end up as question marks in the resulting search.
- Fixed an issue where Ctrl + 0 to reset the zoom level in Notepad wouldn’t work if the 0 was typed from a keypad.
- An issue resulting minimized apps having squished thumbnails in Task View fixed on this build.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the tops of apps in tablet mode being clipped (i.e. missing pixels).
- We fixed an issue where the taskbar would stay on top of full-screened apps if you had previously hovered over any grouped taskbar icon to bring up the extended list of previews, but then clicked elsewhere to dismiss it.
- We fixed an issue where the icons in the Microsoft Edge extension pane were drawing unexpectedly close to the toggles.
- We fixed an issue where Find on Page in Microsoft Edge would stop working for open PDFs once the PDF had been refreshed.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl-based keyboard shortcuts (like Ctrl + C, Ctrl + A) didn’t work in editable fields for PDFs opened in Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed the issue where if the Narrator key is set to just Insert, sending a Narrator command from a braille display should now function as designed regardless if the Caps Lock key is a part of the Narrator key mapping.
- We fixed the issue in Narrator’s automatic dialog reading where the title of the dialog is being spoken more than once.
- We fixed the issue where Narrator won’t read combo boxes until Alt + down arrow is pressed.
A complete list of the changes, improvements, fixes, and known issues for build 18219 can be found here.
Download Windows 10 build 18219
Windows 10 Preview Build 18219 is only available to Insiders in the Skip Ahead Ring. And Compatible Devices connected to Microsoft server automatically download and install the 19H1 preview build 18219. But you can always force the update from Settings > Update & security > Windows Update and click the Check for updates button.
Note: Windows 10 19H1 Build is only available for users who joined/Part of part of the Skip Ahead Ring. Or you can check how to join skip ahead ring and enjoy windows 10 19H1 features.