Microsoft has released new security updates (patch Tuesday for October 2020) for Windows 10 Operating system. The Cumulative Update KB4579311 for the latest windows 10 version 2004 brings to build 19041.572. Also, there is a new update KB4577671 for Windows 10 version 1903 and 1909 brings the builds of the two versions of Windows 10 to 18362.1139 and 18363.1139 respectively.
Like previous Patch Tuesday releases, this Windows 10 update KB4579311 doesn’t come with any new features. Rather, the focus is on security, reliability improvements and fixes across the board.
Download Windows 10 KB4579311
Since Microsofts patch updates are mandatory updates, KB4579311 will download and install automatically on devices running the latest Windows 10 version 2004. Once installed, you will need to restart the system for the changes to take effect.
To install this update using Windows Update, follow steps below:
- Open Settings using windows key + I
- Click Update & Security then Windows Update.
- In the right-hand pane, click on the Check for updates button.
Well If you are looking for the latest Windows 10 version 2004 ISO click here.
As usual, the patch can be installed from the Update Catalog as well here Windows 10 KB4579311 Offline download links.
To install the update, simply run the downloaded MSU file and Windows will automatically install the cumulative update.
Windows 10 KB4579311 Changelog
The latest patch update KB4579311 for Windows 10 version 2004 comes with security improvements for verifying usernames and passwords, using Microsoft Office products and when Windows performs basic operations
The latest Windows 10 KB4579311 resolve an issue with creating null ports using the user interface
- Addresses an issue with a possible elevation of privilege in win32k.
- Addresses an issue with the Group Policy service that might recursively delete critical files in alphabetic order from %systemroot%\system32.
This issue occurs when a policy has been configured to delete cached profiles. These file deletions might cause stop error “0x5A (CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED)” boot failures. (Microsoft team explains)
- Also there is security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Virtualization, and Windows Kernel.
You can read the complete changelog, listed Microsoft support site here.
You might receive the error, “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software” while installing a third-party driver.
When using some apps, such as Microsoft Excel, users of the Microsoft Input Method Editor (IME) for Chinese and Japanese might receive an error, or the app might stop responding or close when attempting to drag using the mouse.
Uninstall Windows 10 KB4579311
If installing KB4579311 causing issues on your device you can uninstall the update to revert the changes.
Uninstall KB4579311 using the Windows Update History tool
- Go to Windows Settings (Windows key + i) –> Update & Security –> Windows Update.
- From the right-hand pane, click on View Update History.
- Now click on Uninstall updates.
- Select Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4579311) and press the Uninstall button.
Uninstall KB4579311 using command-line
Another quick way to uninstall this update is by using the command prompt. Here are the commands:
- Open Command Prompt (Run –> cmd)
- Run the following command:
wmic qfe list brief /format:table
- This will show all the updates installed on the computer. Make sure KB4556799 is on the list.
- To uninstall the update, run the following command
wusa /uninstall /kb:KB4579311
The system needs to be restarted after uninstalling the update.
Windows 10 KB4577671
Also there is a new update KB4577671 available for PCs with Windows 10 version 1909/1903 (November 2019 Update/May 2019 Update). Installing KB4577671 brings up Windows 10 Build 18362.1139 and 18363.1139 respectively and resolved security issues when verifying usernames and storing and managing files.
Improved the security of apps and services that perform basic operations of Windows. Additionally, there are security enhancements for Microsoft Office products as well.
Installing the latest KB4577671 address a glitch with Group Policy that could cause it to delete critical files if the policy “Delete local user profile” was enabled.
The latest update for windows 10 version 1909 also fixed an issue with a possible elevation of privilege in win32k and an issue that created a Null port.
Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Windows Cloud Infrastructure, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Virtualization, Windows Kernel, and Windows Storage and Filesystems.
When installing a third-party driver, you might receive the error, “Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software”.
Also you might also see the error, “No signature was present in the subject” when attempting to view the signature properties using Windows Explorer.
Windows may display a compatibility dialog when trying to update to version 1903 or 1909 from a previous version. This is caused by Windows 10 Setup Dynamic Update being unable to download required packages.
Read the complete changelog Microsoft support site here.
- Difference Between Windows 10 Feature Update and Cumulative Updates
- Windows 10 May 2020 update Version 2004 Troubleshooting Guide !!!
- How to Share Files and Printers Between Two Windows 10 Computers
- Windows 10 keeps shutting down and restarting automatically? Try these solutions
- Complete Review on Microsoft Windows 10 Operating system