Windows 10 version 20H2 Failed to install
There are several reasons, cause Windows 10 2020 update install failure it could be due to drivers and hardware, corrupted Windows update cache or system file corruption and more. Here in this post, we have different solutions apply to fix different Windows 10 Update installation problems. Before get start:
- Check and make sure you have a stable Internet connection to download Windows update files from the Microsoft server.
- Temporarily Disable security software (Antivirus) also disconnect from VPN (if configured)
- Disconnect external devices such as external HDD, SD Cards, printer, scanner etc.
- Try to install Windows updates on Clean boot state, that help if startup service conflict causing the issue.
- And most importantly check and make sure the Date & time and Region & Language settings are correct.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows 10 has a built-in update troubleshooter that scan your computer and fix any errors that it detects. Run the Windows update troubleshooter following the steps below and let windows automatically fix the problem for you.
- Press Windows + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app,
- Click on Update & security then Troubleshoot,
- Here on right-hand side locate Windows update and click run the troubleshooter,
- This will start to diagnose Windows update related problems,
- Additionally, the troubleshooter checks if the Windows Update service is corrupted or isn’t running. Or Windows Update service is corrupted or isn’t running.
- Once the troubleshooting process completes Restart your PC
- Now again open Windows update and check for updates. Check if there is no more problem installing windows updates. Still, need help? apply the next solution.
Reset windows update Components
Windows Update folder (C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution), is the location where Windows stores the new updates after downloading them. If due to any reason any file gets corrupted on the software distribution folder you may face update download and install stuck at any point or windows update fail to install with a different error code. And Clearing the folder where all of the update files are stored will force Windows Update to download afresh And fix almost every window update problem.
- Open windows services console using services.msc,
- Scroll down and locate Windows update service,
- Right-click on Windows update service select stop,
- Do the same process for BITs service.
- Now Open Windows Explorer using the keyboard shortcut Windows + E,
- Here navigate to C:\Windows\software distribution\downoad folder.
- Delete all files and folders inside the download folder (don’t delete that folder)
- To do this press the keyboard shortcut ctrl + A to select all then hit the delete key.
Run DISM and SFC utility
Again sometimes corrupted system files cause windows 10 updates to stuck downloading. Run the system file checker that scans and fix corrupted system files on Windows 10.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Here inside the command prompt window type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- this will start scanning for missing corrupted system files if found any the SFC utility automatically restore them with the correct one from a special folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, Then After Restart windows and check for updates. If SFC Utility Scan Results found corrupted files but unable to fix then Run DISM Tool Which enables SFC Utility to Do its job.
Update device driver
Also, Make Sure All Installed Device Drivers Are Updated and compatible with the current windows version. Especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. You Can Check and update Them From Device manager. Run Third-party system optimizer like Ccleaner to remove junk, cache, system error, memory dump files, etc and fix broken missing registry errors.
Change DNS address
Apply this solution if Windows update fails to install with different errors or “we couldn’t connect to the update service” error.
- Press Windows + R, type ncpal.cpl and click ok,
- This will open the network connections window,
- Right-click on the active network adapter and select properties,
- Next double click on internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) to get its properties,
- Here change the DSN address primary 22.214.171.124. and alternate DNS server 126.96.36.199.
- Checkmark on validate settings upon exit and click ok
Also, you can use the official Windows 10 media creation tool to upgrade October 2020 update without any errors. If you are looking for a fresh installation here how to download Windows 10 20H2 ISO direct from the Microsoft server.
- Solved: Can’t Adjust Screen Resolution in Windows 10
- How to extend the 10 day limit to go back to your previous version of Windows
- How To Fix if Windows 10 Stuck on Welcome Screen After login
- Fix error status 0xc000012f Bad Image Error on Windows 10
- Keep getting BCD error Code 0xc000000f on boot up Windows 10,