Here few tips that not only fix Windows 10 Computer running slow, freezes for a few seconds or not responding problem but also optimize windows 10 performance as well.
Sometimes you might notice windows 10 computer freezes, Not responding or keeps freezing on startup. This might occurs randomly and it can dramatically impact your PC performance. A number of users reported, since installing the latest Windows 10 updates the computer randomly freezes without any warning, sometimes the whole system locks up or certain elements, such as the Taskbar, right click on the desktop does not respond.
There are numerous potential issues that can cause Windows 10 computers to freeze, it might be windows update bug or Outdated software, Driver incompatibility, insufficient memory, Virus or malware infection, hardware issue and more. If your windows 10 laptop freezes when opening programs, playing video or restarting, Here solutions not only fix the laptop freezes problem but also optimize windows 10 Performance as well.
Windows 10 Computer Keeps Freezing Randomly
The very first thing you must try restart windows 10, that refresh and clears the memory, and fixes the problem if temporary glitch causing Windows 10 freezes.
Virus or malware infection could also be the main cause for a computer to freeze. You should perform an antivirus check regularly.
USB devices such as external hard drives, printers, etc. can sometimes cause Windows 10 to freeze randomly. If you have any USB devices connected to your computer, you should disconnect them before you turn on your computer.
Again if windows 10 freezes randomly or not responding completely, we recommend start the computer in safe mode before performing the solutions listed below.
Disable Startup programs
The first thing we recommend to check and disable the startup programs or services which unnecessary load at startup and consume system resources.
- Open task manager using the keyboard shortcut, Ctrl + Shift + Esc
- Move to the Startup tab. If you don’t see a Startup tab, click More details in the lower-left corner.
- Now on startup impact volume check which programs cause High simply right click on it and select Disable. Do the same for other programs.
- Now press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok,
- Move to the services tab, and checkmark on Hide all Microsoft Services
- Now under services dis-select the services which you don’t want to Run At startup. For example, Adobe Acrobat update, google update service etc.
- Now after disabling them simply click apply and click ok to save the changes you have done. It will ask for restart do it.
Disable background apps
Disable apps that run on background and take unnecessary system resources.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings,
- Click Privacy and Background apps,
- Turn off the toggle switches next to the apps you don’t want to have running all the time.
- Of course, you can still launch these programs manually if you need them.
Remove problematic software
Again Certain software can cause a random freeze on Windows 10. Users have reported that software such as Speccy, Acronis True Image, Privatefirewall, McAfee and Office Hub App can cause problems with Windows 10. If you have any of these programs installed on your computer, or computer freezes after install a new application or game we advise that you remove them by following these steps:
- Open the Settings App and go to System.
- Go to Apps & features section and delete the aforementioned apps.
- After you’ve uninstalled these apps, restart your computer.
Increase Virtual Memory
If your computer freezes frequently and regularly, you might have insufficient RAM. You can consider upgrading your RAM or increase virtual memory on your PC. Virtual memory is a combination of computer’s RAM with temporary space on your hard disk called the Swap file or Pagefile. If your computer runs out of RAM when performing an intensive task, Windows will dip into virtual memory for temporary file storage.
- Search for view Advanced System Settings and select the first result,
- Go to the Advanced tab, then click Settings.
- Again move to the Advanced tab, and choose Change… in the Virtual memory section.
- Here uncheck Automatically manage paging file size for all drives
- Select your windows drive (the hard drive or partition that has Windows installed on it – usually C:), and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
For initial size, just enter whatever the number is in the Recommended category.
For maximum size, It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5).
- Once you’ve entered your virtual memory values, click Set, then click OK to continue.
- Restart your PC to effect the changes.
Repair Corrupt System Files
Corrupted or missed system files also the reason for this issue, Windows 10 laptop keeps freezing and not responding. Run the system file checker utility that helps with scan and restore missing system files with the correct one.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type command sfc /scannow and press the enter key,
- Wait for Windows to find and repair the corrupted system files.
- At last, reboot your Windows 10 laptop to see whether it works normally.
Update old incompatible device Drivers
Outdated or corrupted device drivers also make the Windows 10 system perform hastily and freeze, and it is very important to make sure all device drivers are updated with the latest version.
Most device drivers are automatically updated during Windows Update, so make sure you run that first before manually check and update device drivers.
- Open settings using Windows key + I,
- Click Update & security than windows update,
- Then click the check for updates button to allow download and install available windows updates from the Microsoft server.
- Sometimes you need to click download and install link under optional updates.
- Once done restart your PC to apply the changes.
Also, you can update drivers via Device Manager or you can download the latest driver software from the manufacturer’s site and install it manually.
To update drivers through device manager:
- Hold the Windows Key and Press X.
- Here select Device Manager and look any driver with a yellow triangle mark.
- If found any simply Right-click and select Update driver software
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software And proceed with the instructions on the screen.
Check your hard disk for errors
Still, need help? may the disk drive errors causing windows 10 freeze or not responding. Run the check disk utility that helps fix disk drive errors automatically.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- type command chkdsk C: /f /r and press the enter key,
- Type Y when ask for schedule to run check disk utility on next start,
- Close everything and restart your PC to start the disk check utility.
Disable fast startup
If windows 10 freezes while startup or shutdown the computer, disable the fast startup feature following steps below, that help most users to fix the problem.
- Open Control panel,
- Search for and select power options
- Choose what the power options do
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Untick Turn on fast startup (recommended)
- Then click Save Changes, Restart windows and check if the problem solved.
AppX Deployment Service (AppXSvc) is a service that supports the deployment of Store applications. A number of windows users Report after disable the AppXSvc service the problem startup freeze, not responding for a long time get fixed.
To Disable AppXSvc
- Open Windows registry editor using regedit,
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AppXSvc
- Here, double click the Start DWORD in the right-hand pane.
- Change the Value data to 4, click OK, then restart your system.
- You can change this back to 3 if you want to enable AppXSvc again.
Create a New User Account
Sometimes when the user account gets corrupt you might feel windows 10 slow start or shutdown problem. If all the above methods fail to fix the problem we recommend create a new user account and check if windows start or shut down normally.
To create a new user account, Open the command prompt as administrator and perform the command below
net user [user name] [password] /add
Note Change username with the username you want to create and change the password which you want to log in for the newly created user account.
Did these solutions help to fix the computer running slow and freezing windows 10? Let us know on the comments below.
- Photos App Opens Extremely Slow in Windows 10? Apply these solutions
- Solved: No Text displayed in explorer after Windows 10 update
- 7 Tips To Maximize Battery Life on Windows 10 Laptops
- How to fix Connection Failed error 651 in Windows 10
- Solved: Hmm We can’t reach this page error in Microsoft Edge Browser
- Fix print spooler service not running after windows 10 update