windows 10 network adapter missing or wireless network adapter missing after latest windows update? Here how to fix the problem and get back online
Windows 10 won’t connect to the internet or wireless network adapter missing after the latest windows update? Several users report, unable to access the internet and the network adapter missing from device manager. The most common reason for this may be an outdated network or Wireless driver installed on your computer or The installed network adapter driver is corrupted or incompatible with the current windows 10 version. Whatever the reason, Here how to get back online after a Windows 10 update breaks your internet access
Windows 10 Network adapter missing
Before apply any solutions the first thing we recommend, Reboot your Windows 10 device and check if the adapter is back in action.
Make sure airplane mode is turned off on your system. Also, check if your laptop has a physical button for Wi-Fi, use it to enable Wi-Fi.
Disable or uninstall VPN (If configured on your PC) and check the network adapter status.
Show the hidden devices in Device Manager
- Press Windows key + X to open device manager and display all installed device driver list,
- Look there, If the network adapter is missing from device manager then click on the View option in the toolbar at the top and select Show hidden devices.
In addition click Action then select scan for hardware changes. Well if the adapter appears listed under Unknown devices, update it.
Perform cleanup of network devices
Press Windows key + S type cmd, right-click on command prompt select run as administrator,
- Type command netcfg -d and press enter key,
- Note: If you get face any error while executing the command, try to run the command again on your computer.
- Once done reboot your computer and check if the problem resolved.
Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
Run the build in network troubleshooter that helps automatically detect for errors or outdated drivers that may be causing wireless network adapter missing and try to fix them automatically.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings
- Go to Update & Security then select Troubleshoot from the left pane.
- Click on the additional troubleshooter link to view available troubleshooters
- Locate and select Network Adapter under Find and fix other problems section, Click on the Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow on-screen instructions to start diagnose and fix the problem. Once done reboot your PC and check if the network adapter paper now on your computer.
Install network adapter driver
If the network driver isn’t visible under Network adapters, you will find it under Other devices or Unknown devices. This is the most recommended solution when the network adapter missing from device manager. Yes installing the latest network adapter driver help users to fix the problem and restore the wireless network adapter on their computer.
Download the latest network adapter driver for your computer and install it.
- To do this, On a different computer Visit the problematic computer manufacturer website. For example, you have a dell laptop and having problem wireless network adapter missing. Then you need to visit the dell support site to download the latest network adapter, driver.
- Copy the downloaded driver and paste it on problematic PC vis USB flash drive,
- Right-click on network adapter driver setup file select run as administrator,
- Follow on-screen instructions to install the driver once done reboot your computer.
- Now check the wireless network adapter status.
Install Generic Ethernet drivers
- Press Windows key + R, type “devmgmt.msc” and click ok to open device manager,
- Expand Network adapters, right-click on your Wi-Fi/Ethernet driver which you are using and click on “Update driver”.
- Next click on Browse my computer for driver software, then Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer.
- From here select the network adapter driver (refer to image below), click next and follow on-screen instructions.
- Once done reboot your PC and check if the problem resolved, and network adapter back on your computer or not.
Reset the network adapter
Here another effective solution that completely reset the network adapter and its settings, reinstall the network adapter driver and fix most of the Network and internet problems include wireless network adapter missing windows 10.
- Press Windows key + x select Settings app,
- Go to Network & Internet then Click on Status.
- Under the Advanced network settings, click on the Network reset link,
- Select Reset now, and click Yes.
- After you complete the steps, the computer will restart automatically, and on reboot, you should now be able to connect to the internet.
In addition, open command prompt run netsh Winsock reset command, Reboot your computer to save the changes and check this help restore missing network adapter on windows 10.
- Solved: Computer restarts randomly while playing games windows 10
- How To Fix Windows 10 internet connection problems
- Solved : Windows 10 Wi-Fi issue “Can’t connect to this network”
- Solved: Cant print documents, Printer Driver is unavailable in Windows 10
- Windows 10 can’t detect Network proxy Settings? Here 5 working solutions