Microsoft Recently Released windows 10 November 2021 update with several new features and improvements on existing features. Upgrade Process is very well and smooth for most of the users, but some users have different issues. Several users report Windows 10 21H2 Start menu not working. Or start menu not responding After Upgrade Windows 10 21H2 update. Also, some users complained After the update, apps are no longer included in the Start Menu in spite of them being installed on the system. The apps can’t be pinned from the taskbar or start menu after the recent upgrade.
Windows 10 21H2 Start Menu Not Working
Windows 10 Start Menu is where everything is on Windows, so it can be quite frustrating if it suddenly stops working, not opening. And running start menu troubleshooting tool, repair corrupted system files, Create a new user account profile, Reinstall Windows App can help to fix issues. If you are also having the issue with the start menu not responding, Crashes, even not open while clicking on the Start menu. Try one of our solutions to fix it now.
Basic Things to Check
- Make Sure there is any virus / Malware not causing the issue. We recommend Install a good antivirus, Anti-malware application and perform a full system scan.
- Run System optimizer tool like CCleaner To clear junk, cache, System error files and fix broken registry errors.
- Also, Open Windows Services and Make Sure Application Identity Service is running, If not Simply Right-click on it and start the service.
Windows 10 Start Menu Troubleshooter
Microsoft Well Aware of this Start menu problem, And Released A Start menu Troubleshooting Tool, helps find and fix Different Start menu-related problems. Before Apply Other Solutions first run the official Start menu troubleshooting Tool and let windows to fix the problem itself.
- First, Download the Microsoft Start menu troubleshooter, And Run As administrator.
- Click on Advanced And make sure the repair Automatically option is checked.
- Click next and Fallow on-screen instructions.
The troubleshooter checks for the following issues:
- If Start Menu & Cortana applications are installed correctly
- Registry key permission issues
- Tile database corruption issues
- Application manifest corruption issues.
If found any issues, This tool tries to resolve them automatically for you. After completing the troubleshooting process, Simply Restart windows and check next time login windows Start menu working fine. Still having issues follow the next instruction.
Reinstall Windows 10 Apps
If after Run The Official Start menu Troubleshooting Tool, Still Windows 10 Start menu not working for you. Then Reinstall The Windows Start menu is the Best and most working solution, Fixed Start menu Not working, Crashes, Start menu not working problem for most users.
- To Reinstall the Start menu App we need to perform a command-line on Powershell.
- As the Start menu is not working, open the Power shell right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Click on File, Type PowerShell and checkmark on Create this Task With administrative privileges.
- Click ok to open power shell with administrative privilege.
- Once you’re in, type the following and hit Enter Key to Execute the command :
Wait until fully Execute the command, you’ll probably see a lot of red, alarming-looking writing underneath. Ignore that, and reboot your PC Take effect the changes, On Next login, get your Start menu working again.
Tweak Windows Registry Editor
If the Start menu troubleshooting tool and use PowerShell command ( To reinstall Start menu app ), solution fails to fix the unresponsive Start button. You can Fix the Windows 10 Start menu problem by Tweak the Windows Registry.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open Windows Registry Editor.
- Backup registry database, then Navigate to the following path:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ ImmersiveShell\Launcher
- Here Right click on Launcher -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value, and name it UseExperience.
- Double-click the newly created item and set the value to 0.
- Click OK to save changes and then close the Registry Editor and then restart your computer.
Run System File Checker
Sometimes Windows 10 Start menu Not working could also be caused by corrupt or missing system files. To rule out that possibility, We recommend run the SFC utility (System file checker) To repair or restore missing, damaged system files.
Again open Power shell from Taskmanager, (Right click on Task bar -> Taskmanager -> file -> Type power shell -> check box Create this task with administrative privileges -> Press OK).
Type command sfc /scannow and hit enter key to execute the command. This will Start scanning for missing, Damaged system files. If found, any SFC utility will restore them from a special folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
You only have to Wait for a while for the whole process to complete. If the result you see is the same as the screenshot below, it means that there are no corrupt files can be found.
If you see the following notification: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some (or all) of them. Then you need to DISM Command Bellow :
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.
This will allow Windows to download files from Windows Update to replace the corrupt ones. Still, it could take a while, wait with patience. After that, again Run Sfc /Scannow and Restart windows, Check on next login windows Start menu working fine, With any crashes, Not responding.
Try New User Account
Also, create a new User Account (Which creates a new user profile with the new configuration for Windows 10 Apps) Help to fix the Start menu not working, Not responding problem for most users. You can create a new user account with a simple command-line by following.
Open Power Shell window From Taskmanager, and type in the following command to add a new user account:
net user NewUsername NewPassword /add
Note: Replace NewUsername with your NewPassword with your own. For Example, I am using sri As username and 1234 As a password.
When you press the enter key this will output the command completed successfully. Now log off from the current user account and log in to the new Created Account Check Start menu and other Apps working smoothly.
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 10 Start menu problems? Let us know on the comments below.