Microsoft Released Windows 10 1809 with Lots of New Features and Improvements. And company regularly release cumulative updates to fix bugs and improve the system performance. But sometimes users report various issues like Windows update stuck downloading for hours, or fails to install with different errors. For some others “feature update to Windows 10 version 1809 stuck at preparing to install” If you are also struggling from windows 10 update installation problems, Here some effective solutions you must apply to fix Windows 10 Update Problems.
Post Contents :-
Windows 10 update failed to install
- Make sure you have enough free disk space on your hard drive To download and install updates.
- Check and verify that the Time zone, Date and time are correct on your computer. A past or future date both prevent Windows Update and Genuine Windows Validation tool from working properly.
- Temporary disable Antivirus software and Disconnect VPN (if configured) and try install updates
- Run The windows SFC utility, If any corrupt system file prevents windows to install Update. system file checker tool (SFC utility) will Automatically check and fix them.
- Check Hard Disk for Errors, (If the Hard disk has errors or Bed sectors this may prevent to download and install updates.) To do this open command prompt as administrator and type chkdsk /f /r /x hit enter key. press Y. Close command prompt and restart windows, Wait until 100% complete the scanning process.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Run the build in windows update troubleshooter, that identify if any problems exist which prevent your computer from downloading and installing Windows Updates.
To run the windows update troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Click Update & Security, then Troubleshoot.
- Now on Right-hand side select Windows update then Run the troubleshooter.
- The update troubleshooter clear the Windows Update related temporary files, clear the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder, check the status of Windows Update-related Services, repair and reset Windows Update components, check for pending updates and more.
- Restart windows after complete the troubleshooting process, and check for updates again.
Reset Windows update components
If nothing seems to solve the problem, you can try to reset the Windows Update components that most probably resolve the issue.
Stop windows update and its related services
- Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select Run as administrator.
- Stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows Update service, and Cryptographic service. Type the following commands and make sure to press Enter on each line:
net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
To clear the cache, do the following:
- Press “Windows + R,” enter the below path and press the Enter button.
- This folder has all the files related to Windows updates.
- Open the “Download” folder, select all the files and delete all the files.
Restart the windows services
- Restart the BITS, Windows Update, and Cryptographic services using the following commands and make sure to press Enter on each line:
net start bits net start wuauserv net start appidsvc net start cryptsvc
- Restart your computer.
- Now check for updates, I am sure this time you get succeed.
Install updates manually
If still having problem installing windows 10 cumulative updates, then you can resolve the problem manually by installing the latest Windows 10 updates.
- Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
- For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
- Now use Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
- (As of March 05, 2019 – KB4482887 is the latest patch for Windows 10 October 2018 Update, and KB4487029 is the latest patch for Windows 10 April 2018 Update).
- Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
The last step is to restart the computer after the update has been installed. This normally will fix any problems with the windows update component and you can now cross-check by using the Check for updates button on the update section of the settings page.
Use Windows Media Creation Tool
If Windows update stuck installing or checking for updates while Upgrade to windows 10 1809 then use the official media creation tool. That helps you easily upgrade windows 10 October 2018 update without any problem or error.
Upgrade windows 10 using media creation tool
- Download media creation tool from Microsoft and run as administrator.
- Click the Accept button to agree to the Microsoft terms.
- Select the Upgrade this PC now option.
- Click the Accept button one more time to agree to the notice and license terms.
- This will download update files, wait a few moments then after.
- Confirm that the Keep personal files and apps option is selected.
- And follow on screen instructions to upgrade windows 10 1809.
Windows update failed error 0x80070522
If you are getting error 0x80070522 while installing windows update or upgrade windows 1809, it means that you’re trying to install the October 2018 Update using a standard account.
- To install the new version of Windows 10, make sure to run the setup using an account that has administrator privileges.
- Check how to enable administrator account on windows 10
- If you’re at work, you’ll need to contact your system administrator for assistance.
Did these solutions help to fix Windows 10 1809 October 2018 Update installation Problems? Let us know on comments below, Also read:
- Windows 10 brightness not working (can’t adjust screen brightness )
- Windows 10 high memory usage after October 2018 update
- We couldn’t connect to the update service in Windows 10 1809
- What is the Difference Between 32-Bit and 64-Bit Windows 10 and Processor (CPU)
- Solved: Microsoft Store Won’t Open in windows 10