Windows 10 Xbox Game bar is a tool that allows you to record videos and take screenshots while playing on your computer on Xbox Live Steam or other services. But some users report after recent Windows 10 upgrade “encountering problems when opening Game DVR” Windows 10 Game DVR/Game bar not working etc. Here are some solutions you may apply to fix the Game bar is not working or opening on Windows 10.
Windows 10 Xbox Game bar is not working
There are various reasons that cause “Game bar is not working or opening” but the most common we hear from users on Microsoft forum, Reddit is missing “Media Feature Pack“. A number of users marked install “Media Feature Pack” as a helpful solution to fix the Windows 10 Xbox Game bar not working problem.
- Open this Windows Media Feature Pack page.
- Scroll down and click Download the Media Feature Pack update package now to save the installer.
- Open the folder you saved the Windows Media Feature Pack to and run through its installer to add it to Windows.
- After that restart windows, on next login open settings and check there is an option available “Gaming”
Check Game Bar and Game Mode are enabled
Open settings -> Gaming -> Game bar. Here make sure that you set the switch that says: “Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar” to On. Also checkmark on “Open Game bar using this button on a controller” so that you can open and control the game bar using keyboard shortcuts.
Adjust Game DVR settings
- Find the Xbox app by searching for it then launch it from the results.
- Select the Settings option from the menu pane on the left,
- Then click on Game DVR via the menu tabs above.
- You’ll now see something that says “Visit Windows Settings to Adjust Game DVR settings.”
- Click on it and wait for the Settings app to launch.
- Choose Game bar and make sure the ability to record game clips and take screenshots is set to On.
- Also, be sure to tick the box that says “Open Game bar using this button on a controller.”
- When you’re done, press the Windows Key + G to launch the Game bar.
Tweak Registry Settings
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the registry editor.
- First backup the registry database then navigate the following path
- Here on the middle panel right-click on AppCaptureEnabled DWORD and choose Modify.
- And if the DWORD value is 0, set it to 1 and save it.
Note: If you didn’t find AppCaptureEnabled DWORD then right-click on GameDVR -> New -> DWORD (32-bit) value name it “AppCaptureEnabled“
The next step then is to venture off to the following key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
Here on the middle panel right-click on GameDVR_Enabled DWORD and select Modify. Here, you need to enter 1 in the text box if it’s set to 0. Finally, save and restart Windows PC and check on the next login everything working smoothly.
Reset the Xbox app
If the Xbox Game bar is not working, then you may want to reset the App and see. You will be able to do it via Settings > Apps> Xbox > Advanced Settings> Reset.
Reinstall the Xbox app
The game bar is a feature closely related to the Xbox app, and if you have any issues with the Game bar, you might be able to fix them simply by reinstalling the Xbox app.
Click on Windows Key + S, then type Powershell into the search box. Right-click on the program once it appears, and open it as an Administrator. Execute the following command:
Xbox app: Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage
This should remove the Xbox app from your Windows 10 computer. To get it back, launch the Microsoft Store, search for it, then download and install.
Did these solutions help to fix the “Windows 10 Xbox Game bar is not working or opening”? Let us know the comments below.
- Chromecast not working after Windows 10 update
- How to remove write protection from USB and SD card
- Microsoft Edge won’t play YouTube videos on Windows 10
- Can’t connect to this network error on Windows 10
- Solved: NMI HARDWARE FAILURE Blue Screen Error on Windows 10