Windows 11 Randomly Freezing or Crashing may be related to software or hardware issues. Here few working solutions apply to fix the problem
Windows 11 freezes randomly or Laptop freeze on startup or after install a recent windows update? There are many reasons that cause windows 11 unresponsive It could be insufficient RAM, damaged or corrupt system files, incompatible GPU driver, virus malware infection, unsustainable resolution, and more.
Issue: Windows 11 randomly freezes
Recently upgraded to latest Windows 11, But since install the recent windows update windows 11 Freezes, I can’t move my mouse or do anything. Sometimes, even black screen occurs.
If you are also experiencing a similar problem where windows 11 Laptop freezes or does not respond to mouse clicks or even getting a black screen, apply the solutions listed below to fix the problem.
Restart windows 11
Yes, this is the first thing you have to do, Restart your PC or laptop. That not only refresh the operating system but also clears temporary glitches that may slow down the windows 11 laptop.
In addition, open the task manager using Ctrl + Shift + Esc keyboard shortcut. Under the process tab, look for windows explorer, right-click on it select restart.
Also, Restart the Display driver using the keyboard shortcut Win+Ctrl+Shift+B simultaneously.
Check virus or malware infection
Viruses or malware infections may also cause Windows 11 to freeze or crash, and results laptop not responding. We recommend performing a full system scan with the latest updated antivirus or antimalware application. You can either obtain for third-party antivirus or scan your system with windows security (windows defender).
Repair Corrupt System Files
Most of time windows 11 Laptop randomly freezes or hangs because of the system files, that may be corrupted or missing on your system. Run the built-in system file checker utility command help scan your device for corrupted or missing system files, if found any the utility automatically replaces them with the correct ones.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, right click on command prompt and select run as administrator,
- First, run the DISM command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now on the black Command Prompt window type SFC /scannow and hit ‘Enter on your keyboard.
- This will start scanning and repair the corrupt files on your PC.
- Let the scanning process complete 100%, once done reboot your PC.
Check for Updates
Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with security improvements and recent bug fixes. And the company may have recently released a update with a bug fix that will alleviate the problem. Let’s check for and install the latest windows 11 updates on your Device.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings
- Go to windows update then hit the check for updates button,
- If pending updates there, click on download and install
- Once done, reboot your PC to apply them
Windows 11 laptop freezes problem can be caused by outdated drivers. If you notice the desktop screen freezes and restart with a blue screen error, or the windows 11 screen goes black it could be the display (Graphics) driver causing the issue. And you must try updating your graphics driver.
An outdated driver might be the reason behind your computer freezes randomly in WIndows 10/11 system
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver lists on your PC, here look for any yellow warning exclamation mark next to the driver
- If you find a device with an error, update the device driver by having Windows look for it automatically,
In addition, we recommend update the display driver, to do so, On the device manager locate and expand the display adapters option,
- Right-click on the installed graphics driver and select the update driver option,
- Click on search automatically for driver and follow on instructions to download the latest available driver from the Microsoft server.
Or you can also visit the web according to the device you are using, download the graphics driver for your PC and manually install it.
Rollback Driver Graphics
Again if the problem started after a recent windows update or you notice windows 11 freezes after a recent graphics driver update you can roll back the driver to resolve this issue.
To solve this problem, you can follow these steps:
- Open Device Manager (WIN + X, followed by M)
- Select the Display Adapter menu and display the installed adapter
- Right click and select Properties
- Then select the Driver tab, then select Roll Back Driver
- Select the reason for the driver rollback option and follow the on-screen instructions.
Adjust your virtual memory
If your computer running out of RAM while performing an intensive task or the system freezes, configure virtual memory help fix such issues. Virtual memory is basically an extension of your computer’s physical memory, its combination of RAM and partition of your hard drive.
- Press Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl and click ok to open the system properties window,
- Move to the Advanced tab, and under performance options click setting
- This will open the performance options window, move to Advanced tab, and under the virtual memory tab click change,
- Ensure the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox is NOT ticked.
- Select your windows drive (the hard drive or partition that has Windows installed on it – usually C:), and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
Initial size – This value varies, depending on your computer. If you’re not sure what value to use, just enter whatever the number is in the Recommended category.
Maximum size – Don’t set this value too high. It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5).
- Once you’ve entered your virtual memory values, click Set, then click OK to continue.
Check System Memory (RAM)
Few windows users report, that running build in memory diagnostics tool help them fix the problem system hangs or not responding on their windows 11 PC. You can run the windows memory diagnostic tool following steps below.
- Press Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe and click ok to open the windows memory diagnostic tool,
- Click on Restart now and check for problems (recommended) option, at the top,
- This will restart your PC and boot into the diagnostic tool and check your RAM for problems.
If you’re looking for a third-party utility, take a look at Memtest86+ to test for bad RAM.
Note; If you manually installed RAM in your PC, double-check to see if it’s seated correctly.
Troubleshoot on Clean Boot
Also try using Clean Boot Mode to see if any startup application is causing the problem. In Clean Boot Mode, only the most important system files and services will be loaded, so you can ensure if a background app or third-party service is causing the problem.
- Press Windows key + R type msconfig and click ok to open the System Configuration window,
- Check the box next to Hide all Microsoft services, then click Disable all.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- On the Startup tab, select the Open Task Manager link.
- In the Task Manager window, select the Startup tab.
- Select each startup service and click Disable to stop it.
- Next, restart your computer and see if this fixes the problem.
Remove TEMP files
Again sometimes temp files on your computer may also slow down the performance.
- Press Windows key + R, type temp and click ok,
- This will invoke Windows Explorer with your Temp folder open, showing you all the temp files on your computer.
- Select all the files in the Temp files and folder using the Windows key + A and delete them.
Reset Windows 11
If you are facing the ” Windows 11 freezes or not responding” issue and none of the above mentioned methods work for you, the issue may be related to the entire installed operating system. Under such circumstances, the only way to fix the problem is to reset Windows 11.
- Press Windows key + I to open settings then go to System
- Now select Recovery and then click on Reset PC.
- In the next window, it will ask you to keep your files or Remove everything.
- After that, click on the reset PC and then follow the screen instruction.
- Now login with your credential and check the issue is resolved or not.
Also, check If your Windows 11 laptop overheats. If yes you may experience Windows 11 slow performance, it’s a protective mechanism by Windows to shut itself down when overheating to avoid component damage To avoid the heating issues, ensure it has enough ventilation and fans are working, and clear dust.
- Laptop freezes randomly after Windows 10 update? Try these solutions
- Windows 11 privacy settings you should change now (protect your privacy)
- Discord not working on Windows 10, 8 or 7? Here quick solution
- Windows 11 Outlook Search not working? Apply these 7 solutions
- Windows 11 Free upgrade: Using Windows 11 Installation Assistant