While adding a network printer or performing a printing job, error message popups “Windows cannot locate a suitable print driver” on Windows 10/8.1 or 7? A number of users report this issue on Microsoft and printer support forum:
Trying to add a printer but a window pops up that says “windows cannot locate a suitable printer driver contact your administrator (But my user account is the administrator) for help locating and installing a suitable driver. Then when it goes to install driver software its not successful !!
Post Contents :-
Fix Windows can’t find a suitable driver
First of all check, the IP address are in the same range of network, On both PCs (Where Printer physically installed and the network PC). If you are using a network printer make sure Printer IP address is on the same network.
Temporarily switch off the firewall in both the systems,
Also move to the PC where printer physically installed, Control panel -> View Device and printers. Here Right click on printer select properties. check the share permissions given to the printer
Sometimes uninstall the printer driver from Root level and then install the Windows Built-In driver helps to resolve the error “Windows cannot locate a suitable print driver” To do this.
Completely Re-install the Printer Driver
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
- Right click on your Installed Printer driver and select uninstall
- Again from Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
- In the Devices and Printers windows look for your installed printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
- Now Press Windows + R, Type printui.exe /s and click Ok.
- On Print server properties move to “Drivers” tab
- Look for Installed Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
- Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
- Close Devices and Printers
- Restart the computer, To completely remove the printer driver.
- Then visit printer manufacturer website, Download the latest available driver software for your printer model and install the same.
- To share the printer open Control panel -> Hardware -> Device and printers.
- Right click the printer you wish to share on the local network, Select properties.
- Under the Sharing tab check mark Share this printer, Also here you can edit the shared printer name.
- Click on Additional Drivers and Checkmark the x86 so that the printer you can install on both 64Bit and 32 Bit PCs.
- Click ok, apply to make save changes. That’s all you have successfully share the printer for Local network access.
- Then Use the Windows key + R shortcut again to evoke the Run app.
- Input control /name Microsoft.NetworkAndSharingCenter and click OK.
- Network and Sharing Center will open. Once in it, navigate to the left pane and click Change advanced sharing settings.
- Navigate to the Network discovery section. Enable the option Turn on network discovery.
- Check the box next to Turn on automatic setup of network connected devices.
- Move to File and printer sharing. Enable Turn on file and printer sharing.
- Click on the Save changes button.
- Now Note down the PC name or IP address of the PC where the local printer installed.
- To Check PC name right click on This PC and select properties. And to note down the IP address open command prompt (cmd) and type ipconfig that display IP address of your PC.
Now move to the, PC where you are looking for install the network shared printer. Press Windows + R, type \\PC name or \\IP address of the PC where the Local printer installed.
For example for me on The PC having IP address 192.168.1.199 my Printer installed. I have to use \\192.168.1.199
When asking for user credentials, use the username and password of the PC (Where printer installed)
This will display the shared items include the printer, Right click and select connect.
Windows Printer installation wizard automatically picks the Driver and install the network shared Printer on your PC.
Thats All I am sure there is no more error while installing the network shared printer on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7. Still need help feel free to discuss on comments below, Also read ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED Google Chrome Error.