Microsoft regularly releases windows updates with various security improvements and bug fixes. Recently the company released cumulative update KB4601319 for devices running the latest Windows 10 version 20H2 and version 2004. This is part of the February 2021 Patch update bring security improvements and correct previous bugs reported by users. Microsoft always recommends immediately install windows updates to keep your Windows 10 PC up to date and healthy and it usually does. But unfortunately, several users complain, Windows Update failed to install certain updates. Or windows update KB4601319 download stuck at 0% or at 99%.
2021- 02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4601319) – Error 0x800700d8″
Windows Update failed to install
Also, several users report windows 10 Cumulative update KB4601319 download and install successfully and on the next reboot it shows the Last update failed to install with Error code 0x800f0900 and 0x80070005
There are multiple reasons that may cause this problem, from internet connection to corrupted system files, the problem with windows update service, security software or VPN and more.
No matter what issue prevent windows updates download and install, If you encounter the issue Windows Update Won’t Install Updates or stuck downloading apply the solutions listed below.
Try install windows update again
The first and most working solution to fix the windows 10 update installation problem is to restart your computer and check for windows updates again.
In addition, make sure you have a stable working internet connection to download windows updates from the Microsoft server. If you are unable to access microsoft.com on your device you need to fix the Internet connection before download updates.
Check and correct your date & time zone on your computer, and importantly disconnect from VPN if configured on your computer.
Look at your system drive (Windows installed drive it’s basically C: drive) has enough free space to download and install windows updates on your computer.
Temporarily disable or uninstall third-party antivirus if installed on your computer to confirm antivirus protection not interfere with windows update.
Open windows service console using services.msc. Scroll down to locate the windows update service, Right-click on it select restart.
And finally, check for updates again following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings app,
- Go to Update & security the hit check for updates button
- This will start to download and install windows update files from the Microsoft server
- If still windows update stuck downloading or fail to install follow solutions listed below.
Start windows into clean boot State
Clean booting your computer may also help If any third party software causing conflict to download & install windows updates. Here’s how to do this:
- Press Windows key + S, type msconfig and select the first result,
- This will open the system configuration window, go to the services tab,
- Checkmark on Hide all Microsoft services then click on Disable all.
- Next move to the Startup tab then click on Open Task Manager
- Here Disable all the unnecessary services running there. Restart your computer and check for updates.
Clear Buggy update files
If disable the Security application & perform a clean boot didn’t fix the problem still windows update failed to install or stuck downloading. Then let’s follow the steps below to clear the buggy updates files which may be causing the issue.
- First of all, we need to stop the windows update service,
- To do this open command prompt as administrator,
- execute command net stop net stop wuauserv to stop windows update service.
- Then type net stop bits to stop background intelligent transfer service.
Then Go to the following location.
- Delete everything in the folder, but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
- Again use net start wuauserv and net start bits to restart the services which you previously stopped.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
After clear Buggy update files simply run the windows update troubleshooter to check and fix if any other problem prevents windows update to download and install.
- Press Windows + I to open Windows 10 settings app
- Click on Update & troubleshooting then Troubleshoot
- Select Windows update on right-hand side then run the troubleshooter
Wait few minutes and let windows update troubleshooter Diagnose and fix the problems if there any. After that Restart windows and now check for updates from settings -> update & security -> windows update and check for updates. I am sure this time windows update install successfully without any error or update download stuck.
Run DISM and System file checker
If the system files get corrupted or missing from you may face different errors including Windows update fails or stuck downloading. Run DISM restore health command and SFC utility that prepare windows image and restore missing system files with the correct one.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type DISM restore health command : DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- After complete the process fun command sfc /scannow
- Let system file checker utility to detect and restore missing system files.
- And restart windows after 100% complete the scanning process.
- And after that again check for the windows update, I hope there are no more errors.
Switch to Google DNS
Here another solution, work for most users and fix windows update installation problems on Windows 10.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok
- This will open the network connections window,
- locate your active network adapter, right-click select properties,
- Double click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option to open its properties,
- Select the Use the following DNS server addresses option, Type your “preferred” and “alternate” DNS addresses. 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
Click apply, ok to save changes and check whether it helps fix windows update problems in windows 10.
- Cloudflare: 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168
- Google Public DNS: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
- OpenDNS: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
Install Windows Update manually
If all the above solutions fail to fix the problem, still windows update stuck downloading or fails to install then let’s install windows updates manually. Visit the Windows 10 update history webpage where you can notice the logs of all the previous Windows updates that have been released.
For the most recently released update, note down the KB number.
Now use the Windows Update Catalog Website to search for the update specified by the KB number you noted down. Download the update depending on if your machine is 32-bit = x86 or 64-bit=x64.
(As of Today – KB4601315 (OS Build 18363.1377) is the latest cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1909, KB4601319 (OS Build 19041.804 and Build 19042.804) latest Windows 10 version 20H2 and 2004.
You can get the direct download link for these updates here. Open the downloaded file in order to install the update.
That’s all after installing the updates simply restart the computer to apply the changes. Also If you are getting Windows Update stuck while upgrade the windows 10 1909 process simply use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10 version 1909 without any error or problem.
Did the above solution help to resolve the windows update installation problem? Share your feedback on the comments below. Also, Read