After Windows 10 may 2020 upgrade laptop started freezing at any unpredicted moment of time and with every such freeze it requires a restart (mouse and keyboard stop working).
The issues Windows 10 not responding, freezes mostly encountered because of the incompatibility of hardware and drivers. The installed Device driver is not compatible with the current Windows 10 version. (Especially installed Graphics driver) Again sometimes incorrect virtual memory setup, virus malware infection, System file corruption also cause random hangs & freezes on Windows 10. If you are struggling with this problem, here 5 effective solutions help to optimize system performance, Speedup Windows 10.
- 1 Fix Windows 10 freezes not responding
- 1.1 Disable programs in the background
- 1.2 Install .NET Framework 3.5 and C++ Redistributable Package
- 1.3 Scan And Repair Corrupted System update files
- 1.4 Update Display driver
- 1.5 Adjust Virtual memory
- 1.6 Run Windows Memory Diagnostic
- 1.7 Turn Off Link State Power Management
- 1.8 Disable AppXsvc using Registry Editor
Fix Windows 10 freezes not responding
- Make sure to disconnect all USB extension or connected devices to your PC
- Press Windows Key + R Type Temp and press Enter. Press Control + A, right-click, then delete all the files in the folder.
- Sometimes Antivirus running backend causes system freezes, Temporarily Disable or uninstall Antivirus software.
- Perform Windows 10 clean boot, and check if the system running normally then any third party service confliction cause system freezes, not responding.
Disable programs in the background
- Open windows settings ( windows + I )
- Click on Privacy then select Background apps
- Here toggle off the button “Let apps run in background” As show image below.
Install .NET Framework 3.5 and C++ Redistributable Package
After upgrade to Windows 10 if your computer keeps freezing and not responding These issues can be fixed by installing various C++ Redistributable Packages and .NET Framework 3.5. Windows 10 and many of third-party applications rely on these components, therefore be sure to download them from the links below.
Scan And Repair Corrupted System update files
If you notice Windows 10 started freezing and not responding after install May 2019 Update there is chance system files get corrupted, missing while upgrade process. Run system file checker utility that scan and restore missing system files from %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Type cmd on start menu search,
- Right click on command prompt select run as administrator.
- Now type command sfc /scannow and press enter key.
- This will start scanning windows for missing corrupted files,
- If found any the sfc utility automatically restores them from a compressed folder located %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process, and restart windows to take effect the changes.
Note: if sfc scan results “windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” Run DISM command (Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth) that repair system image and allow SFC to do its job.
Update Display driver
As discussed before the incompatible device driver, especially graphics driver mostly causes this problem. We recommend check and update or reinstall outdated device drivers.
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and ok to open the device manager.
- This will display all installed device driver list.
- Look for if any driver listed with yellow tingle mark
- Right click on it and select update driver.
- Expand Display driver, right click graphics driver and select update driver.
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and let it finish the process.
- Or visit the device manufacturer’s website, Download the latest drivers for your PC and install them.
- Restart your PC and check there is no problem, System running smoothly.
Adjust Virtual memory
Hold down your Windows Key and press Pause (Break) to open the System Properties window,
- Select Advanced System Settings.
- Choose the Advanced tab, Click Settings underneath Performance.
- Under, performance options move to Advanced and then Change.
- Uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives box.
- Select (C:). Click Custom Size.
- In Initial Size, use the number that is labeled as Recommended in the box below.
- In Maximum Size, type (a number that cannot be determined without your RAM/Memory. Please provide that).
Don’t set this value too high. It should be about 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM. e.g. A PC with 4 GB (4096 MB) of RAM should have no more than about 6,144 MB virtual memory (4096 MB x 1.5).
- Press Set, then OK. Restart windows to take effect the changes.
Run Windows Memory Diagnostic
- Type memory in the Windows search bar and select Windows Memory Diagnostic.
- In the set of options displayed select Restart now and check for problems.
- After which Windows will restart to check for possible RAM errors and will hopefully display the possible reasons as to why Windows 10 Freezes Randomly.
- Reboot your PC to save changes.
Turn Off Link State Power Management
- Press Windows Key + R then type “powercfg.cpl” and hit enter to open Power Options.
- Click Change plan settings next to your chosen Power plan.
- Now click Change advanced power settings.
- Expand PCI Express then expand Link State Power Management.
- From the drop-down select OFF for both On battery and plugged in power settings.
- Reboot your PC to save changes and see if you’re able to Fix Windows 10 Freezes Randomly
Disable AppXsvc using Registry Editor
According to some users, Disabling AppXsvc in Registry Editor fixes both freezing and crashing issues. To disable AppXsvc,
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and ok to open the windows registry editor.
- Backup registry database then navigate to the following key.
- Locate Start DWORD in the right pane and double click it.
- Set Value data to 4 and click OK.
- Close Registry Editor and restart your PC.
Did these solutions help to fix windows 10 freezes randomly, not responding etc? Let us know on comments below, also read:
- 5 solutions to fix page fault in nonpaged area windows 10 boot loop
- Windows 10 Scanner Not Working “Cannot communicate with the scanner”
- Remote desktop not working after windows 10 update? Try this 5 Solutions
- Solved: Driver_power_state_failure Blue Screen Error on Windows 10
- Fix Microsoft edge disappeared from windows 10 update