The latest Windows 11 and Windows 10 come with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, which means that any links you click on will open in Microsoft Edge automatically. However, If you are looking for a fast, secure and feature-rich browser that works well on any device, you might want to consider Google Chrome as default browser. Google Chrome is one of the most popular browsers in the world, with over 60% market share according to StatCounter. In this article, we will explain why you should prefer Chrome as your default browser and how to make Google Chrome default browser on different platforms.
Why Choose Chrome as Your Default Browser?
You might be wondering why you should make Chrome your default browser instead of sticking with Edge or any other browser. Well, there are many reasons why Chrome is a great choice for browsing the web.
Speed and performance: Chrome is designed to be fast and responsive, with a minimalistic user interface and efficient rendering engine that accelerates webpage loading. Chrome also uses tab isolation, which means that each tab runs in a separate process and does not affect the performance of other tabs. Additionally, Chrome has a built-in task manager that lets you monitor and manage the resources used by each tab and extension.
speed advantage makes Chrome an attractive choice for users who prioritize a swift and responsive browsing experience.
Regular updates: Chrome is constantly updated with new features, security patches and bug fixes. You can choose to update Chrome automatically or manually, depending on your preferences. Updating Chrome regularly ensures that you have the latest version of the browser and that you are protected from online threats.
Cross-Platform Syncing: Whether you’re using a Windows PC, Mac, Linux machine, iPhone, or Android device, Chrome’s syncing capabilities ensure that your bookmarks, history, and passwords seamlessly transition between platforms.
Extensive Features and Extensions: The Chrome ecosystem thrives on a rich collection of extensions and apps. Extensions are small programs that add functionality to your browser, such as blocking ads, managing tabs, translating web pages, taking screenshots and more.
In addition You can browse privately with incognito mode, which prevents Chrome from saving your browsing history, cookies, cache and other data.
These are just some of the reasons why Chrome is a great browser to use on Windows 11. Of course, you can always try other browsers and see which one works best for you. But if you want a fast, secure, customizable, compatible, and innovative browser that integrates well with Google services and products, then Google Chrome is the one for you.
How to set Chrome as Default browser
Now that you know why you should choose Chrome as your default browser, let’s see how to set Chrome as default browser on different platforms.
Windows 11 and Windows 10
Windows 10 and Windows 11 provide a straightforward way to change the default browser.
- Open Google Chrome on your Windows 11 or 10 device. If you don’t have it installed, you can download it from https://www.google.com/chrome/.
- Click on the three-dot menu icon at the top right corner of the Chrome window and select Settings.
- Look for the Default browser section and click on Make default.
This will open the Settings app -> Default apps of Windows 11 / 10, where you can choose your default apps for different file types and protocols.
If you have a Windows 11 device, follow the steps to change default browser:
- Scroll down to locate Google Chrome and click on it
- A new window opens, here you need to click Set Default, next to make Google Chrome your default browser.
If you have a Windows 10 device follow these steps to change the default browser
- Under the “Web browser” section, click on the currently selected browser, then Choose “Google Chrome” to set it as your default browser.
Alternatively, you can also change your default browser from the Settings app:
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings,
- Click on Apps on the left sidebar and then click on Default apps on the right pane.
- Select Google Chrome from the list of browsers that are installed on your device.
- And click Set Default, next to make Google Chrome your default browser.
Set Chrome as your default browser on Linux/Ubuntu users
Setting the default web browser in Linux may vary slightly depending on your distribution. However, the following general steps will guide you through the process.
- Open your system settings. This can often be found in the main menu or as an icon on your desktop.
- Look for an option named “Default Applications” or a similar setting in your system settings.
- Within the default applications settings, locate the option for “Web Browser” and set it to “Google Chrome.”
Set Chrome as your default browser on MacOS
On macOS, adjusting your default web browser is a simple process through the System Preferences menu. Follow these steps to make Google Chrome your default browser.
- Click on the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your screen and select “System Preferences.”
- Within System Preferences, choose the “General” option.
- Look for the “Default web browser” setting and choose “Google Chrome” from the available options.
Set Chrome as your default browser on iPhone /iOS
Configuring the default browser on your iPhone allows you to streamline your web browsing experience. Here’s how to set Google Chrome as your default browser.
- Locate and open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and find the entry for “Chrome.” Tap on it to access Chrome-specific settings.
- Look for an option like “Default Browser App” and select “Chrome” to set it as your default browser.
Set Chrome as your default browser on Android
On Android devices, adjusting default app settings ensures that links open in your preferred browser. Here’s how to set Google Chrome as your default browser.
Navigate to the “Settings” app on your Android device.
Depending on your Android version, look for either “Apps” or “Apps & notifications” in the settings menu.
Find and select “Chrome” from the list of apps. Tap on “Open by default” and choose “Open supported links” > “Open in this app” to set it as the default browser.
Google Chrome is a great browser that offers speed, security, compatibility and customization. You can easily set Chrome as your default browser on any device by following the steps in this article.
- Solved: Images not Loading in Chrome browser Windows 11
- Google Chrome Slow, Not perform well on Windows 10? Try these solutions
- How to Repair, Reset and Reinstall Google Chrome Windows 11/10
- How to Turn off Windows Hello for Chrome Passwords
- Solved: File History Not Recognizing This Drive Error Windows 11