PFN is used by your hard drive to determine the location of each one of your files on the physical disk.
Getting PFN LIST CORRUPT error in Windows 11 computer or Due to this blue screen error PC restarts automatically. Windows 11 blue screen error usually occurs because of outdated drivers, corrupted system files or problems with RAM or disk drive. Let’s come to the error code, Page Frame Number or PFN its an indexing number Hard disk use to know the location of all the system files. And if due to some reason, PFN database gets corrupted it can’t process any tasks and to avoid feature loss windows shut down or restart the computer with PFN LIST CORRUPT error. If you are also the victim of this, here is how to fix PFN LIST CORRUPT Blue Screen Error On Windows 11.
PFN LIST CORRUPT error windows 11
Whenever you experience blue screen error the first thing you need to remove all external devices and reboot your computer. This helps identify or fix if device or driver incompatibility causing the issue. A defective or outdated driver is another common cause of PFN LIST CORRUPT Blue Screen Error, which can be solved by updating drivers. In addition, you need to run a Memory diagnostic tool that scans and fixes memory errors. corrupted system files are another reason for windows 11 blue screen error, and running SFC scan is probably helpful.
Note: If due to this blue screen error computer restarts frequently, start windows 11 in safe mode and apply the solutions listed below.
Update windows 11
Microsoft regularly releases windows 11 updates that include enhanced stability, security, and new features in addition to bug fixes. And most of the time installing the latest Windows update resolve any hardware or software issues that might cause blue screen errors.
- Press Windows key + X and select settings,
- Choose Windows Update then hit the check for updates button,
- If updates are pending there allow them to download and install on your computer.
- In addition click on advanced options then select the optional updates option
- Here look for driver updates available, if yes checkmark on it and allow download and install
- Once done reboot your computer to apply the updates.
Run the SFC scan
Corrupted windows files are another common reason for PFN LIST CORRUPT error on windows 11. Let’s run the system file checker utility that scans protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy. In addition, if sfc fails to repair the corrupted files you need to run DISM restore health command that repairs the system image and enables SFC to repair the system files.
- Click on the start menu and search for the command prompt, Right click on it select run as administrator,
- Type sfc/scannow and press enter key to execute the command
- System File Checker scan and fix system file errors, Let the scanning complete 100%
Now, look at the scan results if it results “found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them” You need to run the following DISM command.
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
DISM fixes the problems in your system using the system image.
Update Essential Drivers
An outdated device driver is another common reason behind windows 11 blue screen errors. And it’s crucial that you keep drivers updated, especially the essential ones (Graphics driver, Network adapter driver and Audio driver).
Outdated drivers might also be the cause of the PFN list corrupt error on Windows 11
- Press the Windows key + X and select Device manager,
- This will display a list of devices and peripherals connected to your computer,
- Look at the list if any driver is listed with a yellow exclamation mark, right-click on it and try to update the driver.
- If no updates are available, then right-click on it select uninstall and reboot your PC to reinstall the driver automatically.
Also, you need to update the essential drivers that include Chipset, Video, Audio and Network (Ethernet/Wireless).
- Open the device manager and expand the display adapters section,
- Here right click on Graphics driver and select update driver,
- Select the first option to search driver updates automatically
- If you have the latest driver downloaded form the manufacturer’s site, select the second option and locate the driver.
The same way you can update all other drivers on windows 11 computers.
Also, you can refer device manufacturer’s site for downloading the latest driver update and install on your computer. Or use a third-party driver updater software to make the process automatic.
Check memory Errors
Again problems with primary memory (RAM) also cause different blue screen errors on windows 11. PFN list contains information about virtual and physical memory allocation states. And the problem with RAM also causes this blue screen error on your computer. Let’s run the memory diagnostic tool that helps fix such problems.
- Press Windows key + R, type mdsched.exe and click ok to open the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool,
- Click on the first option, Restart now and check for problems
- Your computer will restart and start diagnosing memory errors.
- Let the process run completely and do not cancel at any step.
In addition, if you have a desktop computer open it and try using separate RAM sticks on different slots to check if the defective memory stick causing the issue.
Check disk drive errors
Problems with the disk drive or bad sector on the hard drive also result system freezes and restart with different blue screen errors. Let’s run the chkdsk command that automatically scans the disk drive for errors and fixes them.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- Type chkdsk C: /r /F and press enter key to execute the command,
- Next, you need to press Y and hit enter key to schedule the run chkdsk tool on next start,
- Let’s reboot your computer to start checking disk errors and fix them.
In addition, if the problem started after installing a new program or game You should try uninstalling the recently installed software on your PC.
Perform system restoration that reverts your system to the working state Another solution that probably helps get rid of this
Few users mention Disable Microsoft OneDrive help them fix PFN LIST CORRUPT problem on windows 11.
- You can disable Microsoft one drive from group policy editor
- Computer Configuration, -> Administrative Templates – > Windows Components -> OneDrive,
- double-click Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage.
- Select Enabled and click Apply and OK to disable OneDrive.
Did above solutions help fix PFN LIST CORRUPT error on windows 11? Let us know on the comments below.
- Troubleshoot blue screen errors on Windows 11 (Updated 2023)
- What Are Corrupted system Files and How to Fix Them windows 11
- How to fix windows 11 common problems (Step by Step Guide)
- 9 steps to Make Google Chrome Faster on windows 11/10
- Computer takes a long time to shut down windows 11 (Solved)