Avast antivirus is one of the most popular free antivirus programs that help protect your computer against viruses and malware. It also offers various services like webcam and anti-phishing protection, secure password vault, internet threat scanning and more. But sometimes you might notice, Avast won’t open or not respond. If Avast is not opening on your Windows 10, there might be incompatibility issue with your PC or Avast installation may gone corrupt or the Avast Antivirus service not running properly. There are several different methods people used in order to get rid of this problem here in this article we have listed the ones which have been the most helpful.
Avast won’t open in windows 10
Before performing any solutions let’s first restart the computer first. This action refreshes the computer system and removes corrupt temporary data that might cause this problem.
Restart the Avast Antivirus Service
When Avast doesn’t open it could be the Avast Antivirus service is preventing the program from starting up properly. Restart the service following the steps below and check whether it resolves the problem or not.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- The windows services console opens, scroll down and locate the Avast Antivirus service
- Right-click on Avast Antivirus service select properties,
- Check the Service status to see if it says Started and select Stop to stop it from running.
- Set the Startup type option to Automatic and confirm the dialog box that appears.
- Now click Start again to activate the Avast service.
Repair the Avast Antivirus
There are chances, that Avast installation may have gone corrupt due to many different things and causing avast won’t open windows 10. Repairing Avast will fix or replace program files that may be missing, outdated or corrupted, and reset the software configuration.
- Press Windows key + R, type control panel and press ok key
- At the control panel window make sure view by category is selected, under programs click on uninstall a program,
- Here on the programs and features window scroll down to locate Avast free antivirus right click on it select uninstall from the drop-down menu,
- On the right pane of uninstall window, there are several options to choose from Update, Repair, Modify and uninstall.
- Click on the repair tab and click on yes when ask for confirmation wait for the process to complete
- After the avast repair process is complete click done close everything and restart your computer.
If you Received Error 1079 by pressing the Start button in the above method.
- Move to click on Log On tab then click browse button, enter your account name in the text field under ‘Enter the object name to select’. Then, click on Check Names.
- If your username is correct, click on OK, If your username is incorrect, it will show you an error.
- If you are prompted, enter a password, and then, click on OK.
- Now go back to the Avast Antivirus service Properties window and click on the Start button.
Execute a Clean Install
If the issue persists, completely remove all files associated with Avast from your PC using Avast Uninstall Utility.
- Close any app or antivirus running on your PC, and then download the Avast Uninstall Utility tool.
- Right-click the downloaded Avast Uninstall Utility file and select Run as administrator.
- Avast Antivirus Clear dialog will prompt restart in Safe Mode, select Yes.
- Select the location of Avast program files and the product edition to uninstall, and then select Uninstall.
- Once the removal process completes, Restart Computer to complete the uninstallation.
- Now, reinstall Avast and try opening the program on your PC again.
Sometimes when you are running outdated windows, you face this issue. The outdated Windows version may prevent other apps and software from running properly. Go to Setting>Update & Security> Windows Updates>Check for updates.
- Fix different Avast free Antivirus problems in Windows 10
- Antivirus vs VPN, Do You Really Need Both of these protection services?
- Why is my computer running so slow? Reasons and Easy Solutions
- Fix Network and Internet connection issues in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Solved: Minecraft launcher not responding with black screen or white screen