Windows 10 Check disk Utility a useful Command line tool useful for troubleshooting Disk read errors, Bad sectors and other storage-related problems.
Windows Check disk Utility A useful Command line tool, that checks the state of the hard drive and corrects any errors it finds, if possible. Mostly this utility is useful for troubleshooting Disk read errors, Bad sectors and other storage-related problems. Whenever you Notice 100 Disk Usage, System Became unresponsive, Unable to locate any files and folders, and Different Blue Screen errors Even Windows won’t Boot at Startup These are Disk Drive Errors and you can fix them by Running Check Disk Utility(CHKDSK).
In Other Words, Whenever you get Error Windows detected a hard disk problem. Or need to detect and fix file system or disk corruption Errors, we run the built-in Windows Check Disk Utility, Which checks file system errors, bad sectors, lost clusters, and so on.
Run Check Disk Utility on Windows 10
- To Run Check disk Utility Open Command prompt as administrator.
- Then Type Command CHKDSK And hit the enter key to execute the command.
- Or you can Type The Command With Specific Drive letter. For Ex: CHKDSK C:
- But running the CHKDSK command will only display the disk’s status,
- This will run Chkdsk in a Read-Only mode and display the status of the current drive means won’t fix any errors present on the volume.
- You Can Add Some Extra parameters with CHKDSK command to tell CHKDSK utility to fix the Errors.
CHKDSK Help command
Typing chkdsk /? and hitting Enter will give you its parameters or switches.
/f Fixes errors detected.
/r Identifies Bad Sectors and attempts recovery of information.
/v Displays a list of every file in every directory, on FAT32. On NTFS, is displays the cleanup messages.
The following are valid on NTFS volumes only.
/c Skips the checking of cycles within the folder structure.
/I Perform a simpler check of index entries.
/x Forces the volume to dismount. Also invalidates all open file handles. This should be avoided in Desktop Editions of Windows, because of the possibility of data loss/corruption.
/l[:size] It changes the size of the file that logs NTFS transactions. This option too, like the above one, is intended for server administrators ONLY.
Do note that, when you boot to the Windows Recovery Environment, Only two switches may be available.
/p It performs an exhaustive check of the current disk
/r It repairs possible damage on the current disk.
The following switches work in Windows 10, Windows 8 on NTFS volumes only:
/scan Run the online scan
/forceofflinefix Bypass online repair and queue defects for offline repair. Needs to be used along with /scan.
/perf Perform the scan as fast as possible.
/spotfix Perform spot repair in offline mode.
/offlinescanandfix Run the offline scan and perform fixes.
/sdcclean Garbage collection.
These switches are supported by Windows 10 on FAT/FAT32/exFAT volumes only:
/freeorphanedchains Free up any orphaned cluster chains
/markclean Mark the volume clean if no corruption is detected.
Check And Fix Drive Errors with CHKDSK
Now To Scan And Fix Disk Drive Errors Again Open the command prompt As an administrator, Type Command Bellow and hit the enter key to execute the command.
CHKDSK C: /f /r /x
- The Command CHKDSK is for Check The Disk Drive Errors.
- C: Is the Drive letter which you want to check for errors.
- /f Fixes errors if detected,
- /r Identifies Bad Sectors and attempts recovery of information.
- /x Forces the volume to dismount. Also invalidates all open file handles.
Note that CHKDSK needs to be able to lock the drive, meaning that it cannot be used to examine the system’s boot drive if the computer is in use. If your target drive is an external or non-boot internal disk, the CHKDSK process will begin as soon as we enter the command above. If, however, the target drive is a boot disk, the system will ask you if you’d like to run the command before the next boot. Type “yes” (or “y”), and restart the computer.
Now close the Command prompt And Restart windows, The CHKDSK Utility Will load and check disk Drive errors, Bad Sectors before the operating system loads. If found any disk Errors, the utility will fix them itself if possible.
This scanning and repair process can take a long time, especially when performed on larger drives. Wait until 100% complete the Scanning and repairing process. After That windows Restart and Start normally. That’s all you have successfully Repaired your Disk Drive Errors.
In Short words, you can use Command CHKDSK /F /R /X to Scan And Fix Disk Drive Errors in Windows 10. I hope after reading this post you can easily check and fix disk drive errors using Check Disk Utility. Also, read:
- Solved: Microsoft edge not working after windows 10 21H2 update
- Fix your pc needs to be repaired error 0xc0000225 on windows 10
- Solved: An operating system wasn’t found on Windows 10/8.1/7
- Windows 10 running slow after update 21H2? Here how to fix it!