Sedlauncher.exe is part of windows 11 update package and was designed to improve the speed of windows update service on your computer.
Windows “SedSvc.exe” or “SedLauncher.exe” is responsible for downloading and installing windows 11 feature updates on your PC. The SedLauncher.exe is stored in Rempl folder in program files and both the service and launcher are associated with the Windows Remediation service designed to speed up and safeguard the windows update process. Even though Sedlauncher.exe is designed with speed optimization in mind, sometimes you may notice windows 11 is very slow or not responding due to Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage. Users report, after a recent windows 11 update the entire CPU or disk is running at full capacity, make the system slow down considerably and making simple tasks take a long time.
Should I Disable Sedlauncher.exe?
Usually, it’s a genuine digitally signed Microsoft service, it’s not malware or a virus. But if sedlauncher.exe is not located in the ‘C:\Windows‘or ‘C: \Windows\System32‘ folder, you need to be concerned about it and perform a full system scan with the latest updated AV to remove it if it’s malware. Now your question is about Disable Sedlauncher.exe, it developed by Microsoft to help deliver important updates to your computer. But that doesn’t mean you can’t stop it, you can disable it.
The purpose of “SedSvc.exe” or “SedLauncher.exe” is to help Microsoft deliver feature updates correctly and efficiently to Windows 11 users.
Sedlauncher.exe High Disk Usage
There are multiple reasons cause windows 11 high disk usage by sedlauncher.exe. Its update bug, virus malware infections, problems with the disk drives, or bad sectors in the disk drive are common. And you can reduce disk usage by disabling the Sedlauncher.exe service, or Block Sedlauncher.exe with Windows Firewall. In addition, you can run CHKDSK command tool to check and fix disk drive errors that could be the reason for high usage on windows 11.
Sometimes due to temporary glitches in your PC, you will face Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issues. Hit the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager. Locate the Sedlauncher.exe or SedSvc.exe, right-click on it select the end task.
Restart your computer, not only refresh the operating system, and restart all running programs and processes but also clear temporary glitches that may cause high disk usage problems on windows 11.
Disable Sedlauncher.exe Service
Let’s locate the Sedlauncher.exe Service and disable it to check if the high disk usage problem is solved.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- Now, scroll down to locate Windows Remediation Service, right-click on it select Properties
- You can also double-click on Windows Remediation Service to open the Properties window.
- Now, in the new pop-up window, change the Startup type to Disabled, then, if the Service status is Running, click on Stop
- Click on Apply > OK to save the changes.
Block Sedlauncher.exe with Windows Firewall
Another effective way to fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage problem by blocking the service with Firewall rules.
- Press Windows key + R, type control firewall.cpl, and click ok,
- From the left-hand side menu, click the Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall option
- In the Allowed apps window, click on the Change Settings button. You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this change
- Click on Allow another app button at the bottom-right corner as shown below
- Add an app window opens, click on the Browse button in the address bar, copy-paste the location C:\Program Files\rempl and hit Enter
- Click on sedlauncher.exe then Click on the Open button
- Untick the sedlauncher and click on the OK button.
Rename REMPL Folder
The REMPL Folder created to make the update process smoother, it contains several subfolders and executables disktoast.exe, rempl.exe, remsh.exe, WaaSMedic.exe, Sedlauncher.exe, Sedsvc.exe, etc. And few users report delete or rename REMPL folder helps them fix Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage issue on their computer.
- Press the windows key + E to open file explorer,
- Navigate C:\Program Files path right-click on rempl folder and select the Rename option.
- Rename the folder to something else like rempl. old.
- Now check if you can fix Sedlauncher.exe Windows 10 issue.
- If you cannot fix the same, then, click on the Delete option.
Delete REMPL via Task Scheduler
Windows Task Scheduler schedules and maintains your update processes. If renaming the REMPL folder didn’t fix the problem of Sedlauncher.exe high disk usage, try to delete the same via Task Scheduler that probably helps.
- Press Windows key + R, type taskschd.msc and click ok,
- Expand the Task Scheduler Library, followed by Microsoft than Windows.
- Now locate and select rempl folder and Select the Shell entry and delete it using your keyboard.
The Scheduled task will be deleted so now sedlauncher won’t launch and run, thereby solving the high disk usage issue.
Check disk drive errors
Most of the time the above solutions fix the Sedlauncher.Exe high disk usage problem on windows 11. If the problem is still not resolved, it’s time to check the disk drive for errors.
- Press windows key + S and type cmd, right click on command prompt select run as administrator,
- Type command chkdsk C: /f /r /x and press enter key
The above command chkdsk checks the disk drive for errors, C is the drive where to check for errors, /F Fixes errors on the disk. /R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
- Press Y and press enter key to schedule run check disk command on next start and reboot your PC.
In addition, Run Windows Update Troubleshooter that help if corrupt windows update components on your PC cause conflict and cause high Disk usage problem on windows 11.
If the problem started after the recent cumulative update, and the above solutions didn’t help, then try uninstall the recent windows update. To do so, press windows key + R, type appwiz.cpl and click ok. Click on view installed updates, locate the recent update, right click on installed update select uninstall.
Note: Sedlauncher or SedSvc is completely safe. You don’t have to worry about viruses, malware, or any other kind of hacks.
- Windows 11 High Disk Usage problem (7 working solutions)
- 9 ways to Fix 100% Disk Usage problem in Windows 11
- Solved: 100% Disk usage in new laptop running Windows 10
- Internet not working when VPN connected (7 solutions to apply)
- 7 ways to fix HDMI Not Working on Windows 11