Windows 10 offers a task scheduler tool that allows you to create and execute any task automatically at your predefined time or after a specific time period. And the main idea of this tool is to trigger the running of different scripts and programs at a specific time or a certain event. Basically the system and certain apps use the task scheduler to automate maintenance tasks (such as disk defragmentation, disk cleanup, and updates) but you can also use it to automate the task you scheduled of any specific application that is assigned.
How to schedule tasks in Windows 10
If you are looking something like run a specific program or play media at a specific date & time here how to schedule a program to run at a specific time in windows 10.
Here this post we show the steps to shadule VLC media player to play a video daily, weekly, monthly or even on a specific event.
- On start menu search for task scheduler and select the first result,
- Also, you can open the same from Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Task scheduler.
- Now right click on task Scheduler library then create a new folder and name it my tasks.
- Expend task Scheduler library then select your new created folder “My tasks”,
- Now form the Actions pane, click on the Create Basic Task, This will open up a setup wizard of Create Basic Task.
- In the “Name” field, type a short descriptive name for the task. For example, Play video on the VLC media player then type a short description and click next.
- Now in the Trigger phase, select from a given list of options of “when do you want your task to start?” All the options are self-explanatory, just select your preferred option and click on the Next button.
- Next, select the time to schedule the task to run ( In my cause i am setting it to play my video automatically at 11 am.) and click next.
- In the Action phase, select the preferred option of the action you want the task to perform. In most cases it is to start a program, so select the desired option and then click on the Next button to proceed.
- Next In the “Program/script” field, click the Browse button to find and specify the path for the application. For example, If you are looking for VLC media play to open every day at 11 am and play a specific video. That cause you have to select the path of VLC media player. Then here on add arguments filed set the path of the video that you want to play.
- Click next to continue.
That’s all In the Finish phase, make sure all the arguments are according to your requirements and then click on the Finish button as highlighted. This will now close the Create Basic Task wizard and add your task schedule in your Windows 10.
Here you can see that in your folder the created task has been added and scheduled to start accordingly as highlighted above. select the task click ‘Run’ command from the ‘Action’ menu to run the task.
How to edit the scheduled task in windows 10
Also, you can any time edit and reschedule the task following steps below.
- Open Task Scheduler from start menu search,
- Expand the Task Scheduler Library branch.
- Select the folder with your tasks.
- To edit a task, right-click it and select the Properties options.
Here you will get the option to Run only when the user is logged on or Run whether the user is logged on or not. Also, change the schedule date and time under trigger tab, or change the task/program under actions as well.
To delete a task, right-click it and select the Delete option.
- Screen goes black when playing games on Windows 10? Try these solutions
- Photos App Opens Extremely Slow in Windows 10? Apply these solutions
- Windows 10 local account vs Microsoft account, which one is best for you?
- The Ultimate Windows 10 Security Guide to Secure your PC
- How to Download and install iTunes for windows 10