Virtual memory a combination computer’s physical RAM with temporary space on hard disk. Here how to customize or Adjust Virtual Memory windows 10
In Windows computers, Virtual memory is used in place of the physical RAM when it runs out of usable space. Virtual memory combines your computer’s RAM with temporary space on your hard disk called the Swap file, Paging file or Pagefile. Whenever RAM is not enough to complete the task windows moves data to the paging file and frees up RAM so that your computer can complete its task. And prevent issues like slow down of the machine, Blue Screen of Death (BSOD), Low Memory problems, App Crashes Etc.
Virtual memory can be considered as being an extension of the computer’s physical memory.
Your computer has two types of memory: The hard drive or solid-state drive, used for your operating system, photos, music and documents, and RAM (Random Access Memory) used for storing program-specific data. The hard drive is perfect for long-term storage, while RAM is much faster and more volatile, acting as a working area for the programs and files you have open.
Every time you open more applications than the RAM on your PC can accommodate, the programs already present in the RAM are automatically transferred to the Pagefile. This process is technically called Paging. Because the Pagefile works as a secondary RAM, many times it is also referred to as virtual memory in windows 10.
Increasing Virtual Memory in Windows 10
Windows 10 and windows 11 manage Virtual memory itself only, But at times you might be required to alter the memory allocated. It is always said to customize the virtual memory into a size that is within the permissible limit. Here is Fallow To manually Adjust Virtual memory for windows computers.
- First press the combination of Win + R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Here type sysdm.cpl on it and then click on the OK button.
- This will open “System Properties” of your computer.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click on the Settings option. Which is available under the “Performance” section.
- Now On the “Performance Options” window, go to the Advanced tab and click on the Change button located under the “Virtual Memory” section.
- You will see the Virtual Memory window on your computer screen.
- Here you have to uncheck the “Automatically manage paging file size for all drive” option at the top of the same window.
- Select any of the Drive letters where you allow to create the paging file and then click on Custom size.
- Then enter custom fields in the “Initial size (MB)” and “Maximum size (MB)” fields.
How To Calculate pagefile size
To Calculate the pagefile size always recommended amount (Refer above image) of total system memory. The maximum size is three (1.5) x the initial size. So let’s say you have 4 GB (1 GB = 1,024 MB x 4 = 4,096 MB) of memory. The and maximum size would be 1.5 x 4,096 = 6144 MB.
After Set the Initial size (MB)” and “Maximum size (MB)” Value and click on set, Now Click on the OK button and then on the Apply button to save changes. This will prompt to Restart the window ” you must restart your computer to apply these changes. ”
This is the Best and simple way to Increase Virtual Memory in Windows 10.
- Fix Memory-Related problems Using Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- Google Chrome not working/responding after the windows 10 update
- How to Fix Your Computer Is Low On Memory Warning In Windows 10
- 5 Tweaks to fix Slow Boot Times in Windows 10 (Updated)
- Solved: Windows 10 Critical Structure Corruption BSOD Error (5 Working solutions)
- Fix System Restore did not complete successfully error 0x80070005 on Windows 10