After Windows 10 version 20H2 update, several users report error message, “Your webcam is currently being used by another application” while making a video call with Zoom or skype on their laptop. The issue occurs with the integrated webcam on the Laptop and external cameras attached to the desktop computer, and it’s not specific to a particular app. In general, the camera is being used by another application Error on windows 10 occur for different reason, such as the application doesn’t have permission to access the Camera on your computer.
Again missing or Incompatible webcam drivers, Files from the camera app been corrupted, or antivirus program may restrict app access to the webcam. Here in this post, we have 5 solutions apply to unblock webcam or camera which is Blocked by another application in Windows 10
Webcam being used by another application windows 10
Before applying any solutions simply restart windows 10. This will refresh the system and fixes minor software conflicts that may be causing the problems.
Again if you are using an external webcam, disconnect and try connect it to a different USB port.
If you have third party antivirus installed on your PC, In your antivirus app, look for settings related to blocking access or permission to use your webcam. Or temporarily disable or uninstall the antivirus and check whether the problem solved or not.
Allow apps to access your camera
The common reason for this error “Your webcam is currently being used by another Application” because the app doesn’t have permission to access the camera on your computer. Several users encountering the same exact problem have reported this issue was fixed after changing the camera app permission for that particular app.
- Press Windows key + R, type ms-settings:privacy-webcam and click ok
- Here make sure that the toggle associated with Allow apps to access your camera is turned On.
- Again click on the Change button (under Allow access to the camera on this device) and ensure that the toggle associated with Camera access for this device is turned on.
Disable and Enable the Integrated Camera
Here another possible solution help few users unblock webcam or camera which is Blocked by another application in Windows 10.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok
- This will open device manager and display all installed device driver list,
- locate and expand the Cameras section right-click on the integrated camera and select Disable device.
- Wait for a few seconds, again right-click on the integrated camera this time select Enable device.
- Now, go back and check if the camera is working with the application.
Turn Off the Firewall
- Press Windows key + R, type firewall.cpl and click ok
- This will open the Windows Defender Firewall page, Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option on the left.
- Select the radio button next to Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) under both Private network settings and Public network settings.
- Press OK to save changes and exit.
Reset the Camera App
It’s quite possible the error message is caused because of a software glitch or a bug in the camera app. Let’s reset the camera app to its default settings that probably help fix the problem.
- Right-click on the Windows 10 start menu select Apps & Features
- In the right-pane, scroll down and click on Camera then Advanced options link.
- This will open a new window with the option to reset the camera app, click reset
- On the confirmation pop-up, click on Reset to confirm.
- Restart your computer and see if you are still getting the error message on your computer.
Update Camera Drivers
Again corrupted or Incompatible webcam drivers also cause different problems or prevent apps complete video calls on Windows 10. Reinstalling the webcam driver probably a good solution to fix the problem.
- Right-click on the Start button and click on Device Manager
- This will display all installed device driver list, locate and expand the entry for Cameras (or Imaging Devices),
- Right-click on your webcam select properties, Move to driver tab then click uninstall device,
- when the confirmation popup opens click uninstall again and restart your PC.
- Again open Device Manager, this time click on the Action menu then select Scan for hardware changes.
- Wait for it to scan and reinstall updated drivers, restart your PC, and then try opening the Camera app again.
Also, visit the webcam manufacturer’s website to download and install the latest Webcam & Camera Drivers. If you have a Laptop (For example Dell laptop) visit the Dell support site for Webcam & Camera Drivers.
If your webcam still doesn’t work, try looking for help on the webcam manufacturer’s website.
- Laptop camera not working after the windows 10 update? Lets resolve the problem
- Solved: Windows 10 Webcam keeps freezing every few minutes
- Solved: Can’t find your camera error 0xa00f4244 on windows 10
- Zoom Camera Not Working on Lenovo laptop? (7 Quick solutions to fix it)
- Complete Laptop Buying Guide – Specifications of a Good Laptop