Laptop or PC screen suddenly goes black after the startup and you will get a black screen with cursor after login. Don’t panic! here 10 possible solutions for this problem.
Sometimes you might experience, windows 11 black screen with a cursor before login or a blinking cursor after login. A number of users report, Windows 11 won’t load correctly and shows only a black screen with a cursor after installing the latest windows updates. So what causing Windows 11 Black screen with a cursor? It can occur for several reasons including problems with hardware, software, or a combination of both. Again corrupted system files, Outdated Graphics card drivers, startup programs or Security software are some common reasons behind windows black screen with a cursor after login. Whatever the reason In this post we have some of the best working solutions to fix the problem.
- 1 Windows black screen with cursor after login
- 1.1 Try a Windows Key sequence to wake the screen
- 1.2 Restart Windows Explorer
- 1.3 Remove the battery & long-press power button (laptops only)
- 1.4 Use third-party utility PassFab Computer Management to quickly fix the problem
- 1.5 Boot into Safe Mode to perform troubleshooting
- 1.6 Reinstall your Display driver
- 1.7 Disable Fast startup
- 1.8 Create a new user account
- 1.9 Remove or update third-party antivirus software
- 1.10 Run SFC and DISM command
- 1.11 Reset your Computer
Windows black screen with cursor after login
If you are also struggling with similar problem, the computer or laptop screen suddenly goes black after the startup and you will get a black screen with a cursor after login follow the troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue on Windows 11.
- Before go ahead, we recommend to check the connection problem between the display and the computer.
- Again make sure both ends of the video signal cable are connected correctly, the monitor is receiving power, and the power button is turned on.
Try a Windows Key sequence to wake the screen
Microsoft suggests if you are getting “black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 11” Try following the windows key sequence to wake the screen.
If you have a keyboard connected, press the Windows logo key+Ctrl+Shift+B. If you’re in tablet mode, press the volume-up and volume-down buttons simultaneously three times within 2 seconds.
If Windows is responsive, a short beep will sound and the screen will blink or dim while Windows attempts to refresh the screen.
Restart Windows Explorer
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously to open Task Manager.
- Under the Processes tab scrolls down and locate Windows Explorer. Right-click Windows Explorer, then select Restart.
- If that didn’t work, select File in the top-left corner of Task Manager and select Run new task. Type explorer.exe, then select OK.
- If your Windows 11 Laptop gets stuck with the black screen, Simply Disconnect the power adapter.
- Shut down your laptop and remove its battery.
- While the battery is out, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
- Put the battery back in and start your PC again.
If you are using a desktop PC simply shut down windows forcefully, Disconnect all devices, including keyboard, mouse, power cable, VGA cable etc. Then press and hold the power button for 30sec then connect only the power cable, VGA cable, Keyboard & mouse and turn on the windows check started normally.
Use third-party utility PassFab Computer Management to quickly fix the problem
You can use a third-party utility, such as PassFab Computer Management, to quickly fix the black screen problem on a windows 11 PC. This is one of the best solutions to easily fix and repair all internal and external computer errors. With the PassFab Computer Management tool, you simply need to signup on the platform and get the windows 11 black screen with cursor issue fixed with just a few steps. Take a look at the steps you need to take to fix the issue with this tool.
Download and launch PassFab computer management from another accessible PC.
Run the program and insert the prepared CD/DVD disk into the CD-ROM drive or connect USB flash drive into a USB port on the computer. Then click “Create boot disk now” to start burning the repair disk.
Follow the instruction, After repair successfully, click”restart” to boot your computer.
PassFab Computer Management allows you to fix the screen going black with the cursor left on the screen with just a few straightforward steps. Also, the applications of this tool are not restricted to fixing this issue only. With this tool, you get a wide range of features and applications that can help you fix various internal and external system errors.
Boot into Safe Mode to perform troubleshooting
In the case that there isn’t a problem with your external devices, there could be a number of other reasons, and you can boot your computer in Safe Mode to try to fix the problem.
You can get your computer to boot in Safe Mode in a number of ways, but in this case, you can do the following:
Start your PC At the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down, click the Power button on the bottom right, and select Restart.
Once you’re the advanced startup menu, click Troubleshoot.
Note: in case If you cannot see anything on the screen because of a black screen, then boot your system from an installation media ( if you don’t have then here is how to create a bootable USB). Skip the first screen, and click on the repair computer to get the Advanced startup menu. From here click on Troubleshoot.
On the next screen click on Advanced options -> Startup Settings.
Click the Restart button. Then On the Startup settings, press 4 to safe mode or F5 to enter in Safe Mode with Networking.
Once your computer is in Safe Mode, you can try the following troubleshooting steps to fix the Black screen problem on your Windows 11 PC.
Reinstall your Display driver
As discussed before the most common reason behind this buggy graphics driver update, which you might have received through the Windows 11 update. Other times there isn’t a problem with the update, but the video driver may have got corrupted causing to malfunction and display a black screen. We recommend reinstalling the Display driver by following the steps below
- Use the Windows key + X to open the power user menu and select Device Manager.
- Expand Display Adapters.
- Right-click the adapter and select Uninstall. Quick Tip: You can also select Delete the driver software for this device option to remove the driver from your computer. Sometimes, this is recommended, but if the operating system can’t find the driver online, you’ll need to download the correct driver for your video adapter from your PC manufacturer’s website.
- Click OK to confirm and Restart windows.
In the next login, Windows 11 should automatically reinstall the video adapter driver and hopefully, the black screen will disappear.
In addition visit, the device manufacturer’s website, and from there download and install the latest available graphics driver for your PC.
Disable Fast startup
Some other users report on the Microsoft forum, Disabling the fast startup feature helps them to fix the Black screen problem. While in Safe Mode you can Disable the fast startup feature by following the steps below.
- Open Control Panel.
- Click on System and Security.
- Click on Power Options.
- Select the Choose what the power button does link on the left pane.
- Click the Change settings that are currently unavailable link.
- Uncheck the Turn on fast startup (recommended) option.
- Click Save changes.
- Restart your computer to complete the task.
Create a new user account
A corrupted user account profile also causes a black screen at startup, If applying the above solutions didn’t fix the problem. We recommend creating a new user account by following the steps below and check it helps.
- To create a new user account in Safe Mode, click on start menu search, and type cmd.
- Right-click on the command prompt, and select Run as an administrator.
- Next type the following command to create a new user account and press enter.
net user username password /add
Note: Here change “username” in the command for the name of the account you want. And password for user account login.
Type the following command to change the account type to Administrator and press Enter:
net localgroup administrators USERNAME /add
Don’t forget to change “USERNAME” in the command for the name of your account.
That’s all Restart windows normally and this time login with the newly created user account, Hope this time you get the normal display.
Remove or update third-party antivirus software
Some third-party antivirus software has been known to cause black screens. Temporarily remove the third-party software (especially antivirus programs) installed on your system, which may cause this issue. See if this fixes the problem.
- Press Windows + R, type appwiz.cpl and ok
- on the programs and features window right click on installed antivirus, and select uninstall.
- Do the same with other recent installed third-party applications.
Run SFC and DISM command
Also Run the System File Checker (SFC) scan, to check and make sure corrupted system files not causing the issue. Where running SFC utility scan and restore corrupted system files ( if found any ).
If SFC scan results fail to repair, “windows system resource protection found corrupted files but unable to repair them” try DISM commands.
Reset your Computer
If none above solutions fix the windows 11 black screen with the cursor? then resetting your computer is the last option for you.
- Press Windows key + X select settings then go to Update and Security
- Choose Recovery from the left pane.
- Look to Reset this PC option on the right side. Click on Get Started to start resetting your computer.
- Choose to Keep my Files and follow the on-screen instructions to reset your computer without any data loss.
Did these solutions help to fix the “black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 11”? Let us know which option worked for you, a
- Windows 11 Black Screen after update? 6 solutions to fix it
- Complete Laptop Buying Guide – Specifications of a Good Laptop
- Google Chrome not working/responding after the windows 10 update
- Fix The Disk is Write Protected Error for USB Flash Drive in Windows 10
- Solved: Service Host Local System High CPU Usage In Windows 10