Did USB keep disconnecting and reconnecting randomly on its own, even though nothing has been removed physically? It could be a hardware or driver issue, the first thing you need to do is to ensure if the USB device works on another computer. Well if the USB device itself fine then, there may be a faulty USB port, problematic USB driver, Corrupt system files or your computer’s Power Option may be causing the issue. Apply the solutions listed below help you fix the USB drive that keeps disconnecting and reconnecting problems in windows 10.
USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting
Disconnect and plug the USB device into another USB port.
Also, connect another USB to this PC and see if there is any fault with the USB itself.
Reinstall Universal Serial Bus controllers driver
Most of the time driver issues prevent USB devices function properly, reinstalling the USB or Universal Serial Bus controllers driver help most users to fix the problem.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and click ok
- This will open the device manager and display all installed driver list,
- Scroll down and expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers” Look for the listing which is related to your USB driver.
- If it’s a regular USB drive, then it will be listed as a USB Mass Storage Device.
- If you have a USB 3.0 device, look for USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller.
Locate your USB drive with which you are facing problem, right-click on it and select uninstall.
- Now disconnect the Physical USB device from your computer and reboot your system.
- Lets re connect the USB device again and check this time its function normally.
Turn off Power Saving Option for the USB driver
- Press Windows key+X and click on “Device Manager“.
- Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers category.
- Double-click your USB Mass Storage Device.
- Move to the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power box.
Set USB selective suspend as Disabled mode
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and ok
- This will open the power options window,
- Click the Change plan settings link from the selected power plan,
- Click the Change advanced power settings in Edit Plan Settings.
- Look for USB settings, expand it and choose the USB selective suspend setting and select the Disabled option in the Setting field.
- Click Apply followed by OK to keep the changes.
Run CHKDSK utility
Run the build-in check disk (chkdsk) utility that helps find out and fix the errors that reside on your USB drive or any other storage drive.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- type command chkdsk X: /r /f and press enter key, where X is the USB drive letter and /r, /f are the chkdsk parameters.
- Let check disk utility check and fix the errors, once done remove the USB drive and try connecting it again.
In addition, run the system file checker utility that helps detect and fix corrupted system files that might prevent USB device function properly.
Did these solutions help fix the USB keeps disconnecting and reconnecting randomly on its own? Let us know on the comments below.
- Solved: Device Manager Error This device cannot start. (Code 10)
- Windows 10 Laptop keeps Disconnecting from the internet? Apply these solutions
- How to reset network settings in Windows 10 (Fix Common Internet problems)
- Solved: WiFi Keeps Disconnecting After Windows 10 update
- 9 Reasons why windows 10 computer running slow and how to speed up it?