Restarting the laptop, checking external connections, or updating graphics drivers help fix such problem on your Laptop
Windows 11 is available as a free upgrade for compatible Windows 10 devices with a number of new features and improvements. But a few of user report, Windows 11 booting to black screen with a cursor. Sometimes you may also experience Dell laptop black screen issue after Windows 11 update. A black screen on a Dell laptop running Windows 11 can be a frustrating experience. It may prevent you from accessing your files, and applications, or even starting up your system. However, there are several potential solutions that can help you resolve this issue and get your Dell laptop back up and running. Here in this article, we explore the reason behind Windows 11 black screen with cursor and how to fix the Dell laptop black screen issue on Windows 11.
- 1 How to fix Dell Laptop Black Screen problem?
How to fix Dell Laptop Black Screen problem?
Windows 11 black screen can occur due to various reasons including both software and hardware issues. Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers, faulty applications, Windows updates bugs, Faulty cables, loose connections, or malfunctioning graphics cards are common reasons behind Dell laptop black screen problems.
And to troubleshoot such problem you need to remove external devices from your computer and try to update or reinstall the graphics driver on Windows 11. In addition, update Windows 11 with the latest version and repair system files with the sfc utility help fix the Black screen problem on Windows 11. Well If the black screen prevents you from logging in normally, you need to start your PC in safe mode and apply the solutions listed below.
Restart windows 11
Let’s first restart your Dell laptop, which wipes up system memory, restart all running app or processes, and clear minor glitches that may be causing Windows 11 black screen problems on your Laptop.
- Press and hold the power button until the system shuts down completely.
- Afterward, press the power button again to turn on your laptop
Still, Getting a black screen at startup? Press the Windows key + shift + Ctrl + B together to restart the Graphics driver now check your Dell laptop will no longer have a black screen.
In addition, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Taskmanager. look for windows explorer, right-click on it select the restart option.
Check external connections issues
Sometimes, loose or faulty connections can result in a black screen. Ensure that all cables, including the power cord, display cable, and any other peripherals, are securely connected to your laptop. Try disconnecting and reconnecting them to rule out any connection issues.
In addition, disconnect all external devices and restart your Laptop to check whether the black screen is gone.
Adjust display settings
Windows 11 offers various display settings that may impact the appearance of your screen.
- Try pressing the Windows key + P to bring up the Project menu.
- From there, select “PC screen only” to ensure your laptop’s display is the primary output.
- Additionally, you can access the Display settings by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting “Display settings.”
- Ensure the brightness and resolution settings are appropriate for your system.
Boot in Safe Mode
If the black screen persists, booting your Dell laptop into Safe Mode can help identify and resolve any software-related issues.
To enter Safe Mode,
Restart your laptop and continuously press the F8 or Shift + F8 key before the Windows logo appears.
Doing so will bring out the Recovery Mode menu, select See Advanced repair options > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart.
- After the computer restarts, there’s a list of options. Choose 5 or F5 to enter Safe Mode with a network connection.
- In Safe Mode, you can uninstall recently installed software or drivers that might be causing conflicts.
- Restart your laptop normally after resolving the issue in Safe Mode.
Update graphics drivers
Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can cause display issues, including a black screen. Visit the Dell support website or the manufacturer’s website for your graphics card to download and install the latest drivers for your specific model.
Updating the graphics drivers can often resolve the Black screen problem on Windows 11.
Also, you can update or reinstall the graphics driver on Device Manager by following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + X and select the Device Manager option
- This will display all devices and peripherals connected to your computer,
- Locate and expand the display adapter section, right-click on Graphics driver select update driver,
- Select the first option to search your computer for a compatible driver, or select the browse my computer option to locate the Graphics driver manually.
Once done reboot your computer and check if there is no more black screen problem on the Dell laptop.
Update Windows and drivers
Make sure your Windows 11 operating system is up to date with the latest patches and updates. Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates with the latest bug fixes and improvements and the latest update may have bug fix for the Windows 11 black screen issue. Let’s check and install the latest Windows 11 updates on your Dell laptop.
- Open the Start menu, and go to Settings
- Select Windows Update then click on “Check for updates”
- If new updates are available, allow them to download and install from the Microsoft server.
- Additionally, click on advanced options then optional updates.
Download and install if optional updates are available, that bring updates for other device drivers, such as chipset drivers, network drivers, and audio drivers, as outdated drivers can sometimes cause display issues.
Run system diagnostics
Dell laptops often come with built-in diagnostic tools that can help identify hardware problems.
- Restart your laptop and press the appropriate key (usually F12 or F2) to access the BIOS or UEFI settings.
- Look for the option to run system diagnostics and follow the on-screen instructions to perform a comprehensive hardware test.
Repair system files with SFC Utility
System files are essential components of the operating system that ensure its proper functioning. If these files become corrupt, missing, or modified inappropriately, it can lead to various issues, including a black screen at startup. You can run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) and SFC utility commands to address black screen problems on your Laptop.
- Press Windows key + S type cmd and select run as administrator,
- First, run DISM restore health command “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth“
- This will check for issues with the Windows image and repair them if possible.
- Next, run the System File Checker command sfc /scannow to scan your system for corrupted or missing system files and attempt to repair them automatically.
- Once the process is complete, restart your laptop and check if the black screen problem is resolved.
Perform a system restore
If you recently installed new software or made significant changes to your system settings, performing a system restore can help resolve the black screen issue. Windows 11 allows you to roll back your system to a previous state when it was functioning correctly.
Search for “System Restore” in the Start menu and follow the prompts to restore your laptop to an earlier point in time.
After the system restore is complete, restart your laptop and check if the black screen problem is resolved.
Check for hardware issues
If none of the above solutions have resolved the black screen problem, it’s worth considering hardware-related issues. In such cases, it’s advisable to contact Dell’s technical support or take your laptop to an authorized service center. They can diagnose and fix any potential hardware problems that may be causing the black screen.
- Solved: Windows 10 black screen with cursor after update
- Blank or black screen with cursor after signing in to Windows 11
- 7 Ways to Fix Microsoft Edge Black Screen Issue on Windows 11
- Windows spotlight images not changing after Windows 11update [Solved]
- What is a software update and why you should keep software updated