Are you looking for solutions to fix windows 10 black screen problem that started after install the latest windows update? You are not alone a number of users can’t use their computer, Laptop normally after Upgrade to windows 10 November 2019 update version 1909 Because of the black screen with cursor, black screen with a spinning circle or black screen of death issue. And most probably this issue causes Because of the Display Driver, may the current Display Driver is not compatible with the new Windows 10 version 1909 or the Driver is get corrupted. Again hardware performance issue, system file corruption also results windows black screen with cursor after login or before login.
windows black screen with cursor after login
Every time I enter my password a black screen with only a cursor appears. I am unable to access anything on my computer besides task manager.
Post Contents :-
Laptop black screen with cursor windows 10
If you are also Suddenly seeing nothing but a black screen and your mouse pointer after login to your Windows 10 PC Here different solutions apply to solve this problem, whether you have access to the desktop or not.
Check if there is a connection problem between the display and the computer.
Remove all external devices, such as a printer, SD card or external device.
Pro tip: If you have a graphics card installed on your PC make sure to display VGS cable connected to the graphics VGA socket.
Use the keyboard shortcut Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B, to restart the video driver and refreshes the connection with the monitor.
Start Windows Explorer
- Open Task Manager using keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Del or Ctrl + Shift + Esc,
- Click on File, then Run New Task,
- Type Explorer.exe Checkmark on Create this task with Administrative privileges And click OK.
- This Starts the Stuck Windows Explorer and you get back the normal screen.
Power Reset Laptop
- If you are having Black Screen Issue on Laptop Simply Press The power button to shutdown Completely.
- Remove the Battery, (Also remove If any external Device Keyboard, Mouse, USB Drive etc attached)
- Now Press and hold the power button for 30 sec.
- Attach the Battery again And Try to start the windows again.
- If you have a Desktop computer shutdown computer press power button,
- Remove all external devices include Power code and VGA cable.
- Press and hold the Power button for 30 sec,
- Then only attach the power cable, VGA cable, Keyboard & mouse and start windows normally.
Boot Windows from an installation media To Access Advanced Boot options.
Where you will get the Startup repair option that helps to diagnose and fix startup problems which cause, Prevent windows to Start normally.
Start into Safe mode
If after performing the above steps Get back the normal Screen? Then try steps below to avoid the back screen problem on the next Boot. Or If didn’t get back the normal screen then try to Boot into safe mode. That Start windows with minimal system resources so that you can perform troubleshooting steps normally.
To boot into safe mode:
- Boot from installation media,
- Skip the first screen (click next)
- Click the Repair your computer link in the bottom-left corner.
- Next, you need to click the Troubleshoot option
- then click on the Advanced options button and Startup Settings option.
Click the Restart button, While in the “Startup Settings,” press the 5 or F5 key to select the Safe Mode with Networking option.
Disable Fast Startup
With Windows 10 Microsoft added Fast startup feature (Hybrid Shutdown) To Reduce the startup Time but This Feature has some disadvantages that cause Different problems on the windows computer. For the Number of users disable fast startup features help to fix Windows 10 startup problems include Black Screen with cursor Stuck, Blue Screen of Death etc.
To disable fast startup on Windows 10:
- Open Control panel,
- Search for and select Power Options.
- Click on Choose what the power button does
- Next click on Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Here Under “Shutdown settings”, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended)
- Click Save changes.
- Now Restart windows to check Windows start normally or Stuck again on Black Screen.
Update Graphics Driver
As discussed Before A missing or outdated device driver in your computer can cause your computer to the black screen. Especial if the problem started after Recent windows upgrade, Then may the Display driver is older, Corrupted or not compatible with the current windows version. This causes you need to update the Display driver with the latest version.
Update Display Driver
To Update the Current display Driver (Graphics Driver) to the latest version simply Visit Device manufacturer website, ( if you have laptop visit dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus etc. for desktop user visit Motherboard manufacturer or if you using External Graphic Card visit NVDIA, AMD, Intel Etc. ) And download the latest available Display Driver and save it.
- Now press Win + R, Type devmgmt.msc and hit the enter key.
- This will open the device manager and display All installed driver list
- Here expand Display Adapters.
- Right-click on the integrated graphics card (usually an Intel or AMD graphics card),
- Tick mark on Delete the Driver Software for this device and confirm by click on uninstall.
Then Restart your PC This time windows start normally,
- Again open Device manager
- Expend display driver, you find windows installed the basic Display driver
- If not then click Action select hardware changes.
- Right click on it, select update driver,
- Next select Browse my computer for driver software
- Let me pick from A list of available drivers on my computer –
- Click on Have Disk -> Click Browse and Set the Driver path which you downloaded before from manufacturer website.
- Click next and wait for windows to install the driver.
- Again Restart windows and check Black Screen Issue Solved.
Roll Back Graphics Driver
If the problem started after the Recent Display (Graphic) driver update, Then may the new version display driver is not compatible with your current windows version. That causes Roll Back Driver option is very helpful, Which revert the current driver version to the previous installed version.
Note: Roll Back Driver option only Applicable if you recently upgrade your display Driver.
To perform RollBack Driver option:
- Open Device Manager by Right click on windows 10 start menu and select device manager.
- Expand Display Driver, Right-click on Installed display (Graphics) Driver then Select properties.
- Here move to Driver Tab you will get Roll Back Driver option,
- Click on it select the reason why you going back to the previous version and click next.
- This will roll back the current driver to the previous version,
- Simply Restart and check this time windows started normally without any Black screen stuck at startup.
Run System File Checker Tool
Also there are chances some system files missing or get corrupted While Upgrade to recent windows 10 version 1909 that causing Black Screen at startup. Windows have a handy tool System file checker Utility Which helps to Scan And restore missing damaged system files from a special cache folder located on %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Simply open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type sfc /scannow and hit the enter key.
- Wait until 100% complete the scanning process.
If System file checker Tool Fails Run The DISM Tool Which enables system file checker to do its job.
Create a New User Account
Also Problems with user account / User account profile can also cause black screen issues (profile not load properly) etc. You Can create a new user account and check the account load properly without any black screen stuck etc.
To create a new user account
- Open Command prompt as administrator
- Type net user Username password/add
Remember To change the name and password in the command for the name of the account and password you want.
Now Logoff from safe mode, Restart windows and try to login with new user account check user profile loaded completely without any black screen stuck.
Registry Tweak To fix Black Screen
If all the above methods fail to fix then, You can tweak the windows registry by following steps below to fix the black screen with cursor issue on windows 10.
- Press Windows + R, type regedit and click ok,
- Backup registry database then navigate the following key,
- Here highlight Winlogon
- Double-click the value Shell showing on the right side to make sure the Value data is explorer.exe.
- If not change it to explorer.exe click ok,
- close Windows registry and Restart windows.
- Check if the problem solved, Next time windows start normally without any black screen stuck.
These are some of the recommended solutions to fix windows 10 black screen with cursor after update problem. Which option worked for you? Let us know on comments below.
- Complete Laptop Buying Guide 2019 – Specifications of a Good Laptop
- Fix High CPU Usage Windows 10 November 2019 update (7 working solutions)
- Solved: An operating system wasn’t found on Windows 10/8.1/7
- How to Fix APC_INDEX_MISMATCH BSOD in Windows 10/8.1 and 7
- Solved: An operating system wasn’t found on Windows 10/8.1/7