Did your PC or laptop stuck with a black screen and just a cursor, this article help you fix the issue.
Sometimes while after installing the windows update or the recent windows 10 22H2 upgrade you may notice windows 10 is stuck on black screen with a cursor. This is called windows 10 black screen of death error and probable cause because of the incompatible display driver. Again corrupted system files, incorrect power configuration (Fast startup feature) and more cause this windows 10 black screen with cursor or without a cursor. Reinstalling the display driver with the latest version and disabling Fast startup feature is probably a good solution to fix Windows 10 black screen problem.
Note: There are two scenarios you may face the black screen First may right after login to your computer and another scenario you can’t even sign into the computer as you see the black screen at startup. But don’t worry below solutions are applicable to resolve Windows 10 Black Screen problems after login – with or without the cursor, on boot.
How to fix the black screen of death windows 10
- Check and make sure the connection issue between the display and your PC.
- If you are using a desktop PC then check the display to ensure it is connected well to the computer and the power outlet.
- Also, you can try connecting a different monitor to the computer or laptop to make sure that your primary display is working fine.
- Sometimes black screen also appears due to the external devices that are connected to your PC so make sure you disconnect all the unnecessary devices.
- Press the‘ Windows+CTRL+Shift+B’ shortcut to wake up the PC/Laptop display.
- If you are getting the black screen with the white cursor right after login that case:
Restart windows explorer
- Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open task manager
- Click on file -> Run new task -> type explorer.exe and ok
- This will bring back the desktop screen for you.
Power reset your Laptop
If you are using a laptop, unplug the power adapter and take it out of the battery. Then hold on to the power button and wait for a little while. Put the battery back in the laptop, plug it and start windows using the power button.
Safe mode windows 10
If still, you are not getting the desktop that causes boot into safe mode / safe mode with networking (for internet access) to perform feature steps to fix the problem.
Now apply the solutions below to fix the black screen problem on windows 10.
Microsoft regularly releases security updates with various bug fixes. Install the latest Windows updates may have the bug fix for the problem that causes a black screen at startup.
- Press Windows + I to open the settings app,
- Click on Update & security then Windows update,
- Now hit the check for updates button,
- Let the windows updates to download and install if available,
- Restart windows to apply the changes
- Check on the next start if windows start normally.
Reinstall Display Driver
As discussed before outdated, incompatible display drivers probably cause this black screen problem at startup or after login. Follow the steps below to update or reinstall the display driver with the latest version.
- Press Windows+X and click Device Manager.
- Expand Display Adapter, Right-click on the display device and choose ‘Update driver’.
- If an update is not available, click ‘Uninstall device’.
- Click yes to confirm the uninstallation and restart windows.
- On the next start, Windows start normally and install the basic display driver on your PC
- Now download and install the graphics driver from the manufacturer’s website.
Disabling fast startup
Disabling fast startup can help you to solve the Windows 10 black screen problem.
- Open the control panel window,
- Search for and select power options,
- On the left-hand side select “Choose what the power button does”
- Next click “Change settings that are currently unavailable”.
- Here Uncheck the checkbox that says “Turn on fast startup”.
- Click on save changes and restart your computer
- Check whether the issue of Windows black screen after boot is solved or not.
Run System file checker Utility
Again corrupted missing system files also cause different startup errors including the black screen problem. Run the Build in sfc utility that helps restore missing files with the correct one and fix different problems on windows 10.
- Open the command prompt as administrator,
- Type the command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key,
- This will start to detect corrupted missing system files,
- If found any the SFC utility automatically restores them with the correct on from a compressed folder located %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
- Let the process complete to 100% and restart windows.
Note: If the system file checker utility scan results sfc fount corrupted files and is unable to repair them that causes run the DISM restore health command.
Perform startup repair
If none above solutions help to fix the black screen problem, Then perform startup repair following the steps below. That automatically detects and fix the problems prevent windows to start to normally. As windows won’t start normally we need boot system from an installation media. If you don’t have check how to create a windows 10 bootable USB
- Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
- Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.
If your PC does not detect the media automatically
- During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
- Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order, Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the Boot Order, then press Enter.
- Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
- Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. your computer.
- Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
- On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced Options>Startup Repair
- Let the process to complete 100%, Restart windows and check this help to fix Windows 10 black screen problem.
You can also go with System Restore option under Advanced Options and follow with onscreen instructions to restore your computer to an earlier point in time.
- How To Speed up Windows 10 May 2019 update Version 1903 !!!
- Fix error status 0xc000012f Bad Image Error on Windows 10 1903
- Solved: 100% Disk Usage after Windows 10 1903 Upgrade (Updated May 2019)
- Google Chrome Slow, Not perform well on Windows 10? Try these solutions
- How to fix cannot start print spooler 1068 windows 10