Did Windows 10 version 22H2 fail to install with different errors or stuck download hours? Here complete guide to troubleshoot and fix the windows update issue
Recently Microsoft has started the rollout process of windows 10 version 22H2 for everyone. The company has noted Windows 10 22H2 Update is a very small release delivered by way of an enablement package for devices running Windows 10 2004 or later. And devices running windows 10 1909 or 1903 receive a full update package. And the latest update mainly focuses on performance and security enhancements that will improve the operating system’s overall experience.
- 1 Windows 10 version 22H2 failed to install
- 1.1 Restart the computer and Retry Windows Update
- 1.2 Check Its Internet causing the problem
- 1.3 Check system requirement
- 1.4 Check you have enough Free Disk space
- 1.5 Correct time and region settings
- 1.6 Perform clean boot
- 1.7 Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- 1.8 Clear update cache
- 1.9 Switch google DNS
- 1.10 Run system file checker
- 1.11 Update device driver
- 1.12 Use the official windows upgrade tool
Windows 10 version 22H2 failed to install
Overall it’s a small and quicker update that takes less time to download and install, But few users report, Feature update Windows 10 version 22H2 failed to install, or Windows 10 22H2 update stuck downloading. A user report on the Microsoft forum, I have a problem when update windows 10 version 22H2, it failed to install 0x800f0984.
So what causes Windows 10 22H2 update fails to install or stuck downloading? It may be Security software, Internet connection problems, Corrupted system files or previous update bug and so on cause Windows 10 feature update fails to install. If you are also a victim of similar problem, Apply solutions such as Running update troubleshooter, reset the update cache or repair corrupted system files using the SFC utility to fix the problem and install windows 10 feature update version 22H2 on your device.
Restart the computer and Retry Windows Update
Yes if this is the first time you notice the windows 10 feature update fails to install then we recommend reboot your computer. This will clear temporary glitches or small bugs and refresh system files.
Again open Windows update from settings -> Update and security and hit the check for updates button. Finally, click the download and install link.
Check Its Internet causing the problem
You must have a stable internet connection to download and install windows update files from the Microsoft server. If you have slow Internet or internet disconnect frequently that may result windows update stuck download hours or fail to install with different errors. Let’s check and troubleshoot your internet connection to make sure there is no problem from here.
Open the web browser on your computer and visit any web page.
Press the Windows key + R, type ping google.com -t and press enter key. Check there is no interruption while getting ping replay from the google server.
In addition, Temporarily disables or uninstall third-party antivirus and make sure to disconnect from VPN (If configured on your device).
Check system requirement
You are trying to install windows 10 version 22H2 on an older computer? Then you must check your device meets the minimum system requirement for installing the windows 10 November 2021 update.
Microsoft recommends the following system requirement to install the windows 10 22H2 update.
- Processor: 1GHz or faster CPU or System on a Chip (SoC)
- Memory: 1GB for 32-bit or 2GB for 64-bit
- Hard drive space: 32GB for 64-bit or 32-bit
- Graphics: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 800×600
Check you have enough Free Disk space
Most importantly you must have enough free disk space to download and install the latest windows 10 feature update on your device. For Windows 10 2004 or later the latest feature update 22H2 is a small enablement package, But if you are upgrading from older Windows 10 This is a big package for you. And you must have at least 30GB of free disk space to install feature updates without any problem or error.
- Open This PC and check the system drive (It’s usually C: drive) that has enough free disk space.
- Or you can run the Disk clean-up utility to free up some space on your drive.
- In addition, move some files from the desktop or download folder to a different drive or external drive.
Correct time and region settings
Windows syncs your time according to the time zones automatically. If you have an incorrect time zone, it is likely to cause problems such as failure to install windows updates.
- Right-click on date and time located right lower on the taskbar and select adjust date/time
- Here make sure the set time automatically and Set time zone automatically option is a toggle on. And make sure it’s according to your time zone.
- Again from Region & language try using English United Kingdom/US.
Perform clean boot
Also, perform a clean boot and check for updates, which may fix the problem if any third-party application or service causes the windows update stuck downloading or fail to install.
- Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and click ok
- This will open the system configuration window, Under the general tab select the radio button selective startup,
- Now go to the Services tab and checkmark on hide all Microsoft services, This will hide all Microsoft-related services and left third party services list,
- Click on disable all, then click apply and ok, finally reboot your computer. This will start your computer with the minimum drivers and services.
Now again open windows settings followed by update and security then hit check for updates. Click on the download install link under feature update to windows 10 version 22H2 and check if there is no more error while the upgrade process.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows 10 has its own troubleshooter to fix different problems. Locate and run the windows update troubleshooter following the steps below and let windows fix the problems and prevent Windows updates to download or install.
- Press the Windows key + X then select settings,
- Go to update and security the troubleshoot,
- Click on the additional troubleshooter link (refer to the image below)
- Next scroll down to locate and select windows update finally click on Run the troubleshooter and follow on-screen instructions.
- This will start to diagnose windows 10 for problems that prevent install or apply the latest windows updates on your system And try to resolve them itself.
- Let the diagnosis process complete once done restart your computer and check again for updates to download and install feature update 21H1.
Clear update cache
This is another ultimate solution to fix almost every type of windows update download and installation problem on Windows 10. Here we clear the previous buggy update cache and force windows update to download fresh update files from the Microsoft server.
To do this first we need to stop windows update and its related services.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open windows service console, scroll down to locate windows update service,
- Right-click on windows update service select stop, do the same with background intelligent transfer service
Now locate and clear windows update cache
- Press Windows key + E to open File Explorer, then Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Here delete everything within the folder but do not delete the folder itself.
- To do so, press CTRL + A to select everything and then press Delete to remove the files.
Restart the windows update service.
And finally, restart the windows update service from the service console, you can access the same using services.msc or using command net start wuauserv.
Finally, open settings -> update and security and check for windows update. Check if there is no more error while installing the windows 10 feature update on your device.
Switch google DNS
Few windows users report, switching google DNS helps them fix windows 10 feature update stuck download or install problem. If all the above solutions didn’t fix the problem you can try change to google DNS following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + R, type ncpa.cpl and click ok
- This will open the network connections window, locate the active network adapter right-click on it select properties,
- Double click on Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IP) to open its properties,
- Select the radio button, Use the following DNS server address then set preferred DNS server 184.108.40.206 and Alternate DNS server 220.127.116.11
- Checkmark on validate settings upon exit the click ok
Run system file checker
There are chances, corrupted missing system files causing windows update installation error or Windows update stuck checking hours. Run the built-in system file checker utility that helps scan and replace missing system files with the correct ones.
- Open command prompt as administrator,
- Type the command sfc /scannow and hit the enter key,
- Let 100% complete the scanning process, once done restart your computer.
Now open Windows update and try to install feature update version 21H1 on your device. Hope there is no more error occurs while get the feature update.
Update device driver
In addition, Make Sure All Installed Device Drivers Are Updated and compatible with the current windows version. Especially Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Audio Sound Driver. You Can Check and update Them From the Device Manager.
Use the official windows upgrade tool
Did these solutions help fix the Feature update Windows 10 version 22H2 failed to install or stuck download? Let us know in the comments below.
- How to Download Latest Windows 10 ISO Image direct from Microsoft server
- Fix Runtime Broker High CPU Usage in Windows 10/8.1/7
- What is the Difference Between IPv4 and IPv6 Protocols? Explained
- How to Reduce high memory usage in Google chrome Windows 10
- 7 ways to fix Windows 10 start menu not working or not responding