Outdated Graphics drivers are the main culprit behind this, and you need to update or reinstall the Graphics driver with the latest version to fix the problem and back to normal.
Encountering a black screen issue on your Dell laptop after Windows 11 upgrade? Or the Dell laptop turns on but screen is black after Windows 11 update. The main cause of Dell laptop black screen issue is the incompatibility between the Graphics driver and Windows 11 version. Or the display drivers fail to communicate with the hardware properly. Again third-party software conflict, Faulty hardware components or system malfunctions also cause Dell laptop black screen problems. Whatever the reason, in this article we explore several potential solutions to fix the black screen problem on Windows 11.
- 1 How to fix Black screen problem dell desktop
How to fix Black screen problem dell desktop
There are multiple reasons why Dell laptop turning on but screen is black, but a problem with the Graphics driver is most common. Another possible cause is a buggy Windows update or third-party application conflict with system configuration leading to black screen issue. Sometimes corrupted system files, startup programs, or Incorrect display settings or resolution settings can result in a black screen.
Here are some common reasons behind the Windows 11 laptop black screen problem.
- Graphics driver problems
- Operating system errors, /system file corruption
- Hardware malfunctions/Conflicts with external devices
- Malware or viruses infection, third-party startup programs
- Windows updates bug or incorrect Display settings
Refresh Graphics Driver process
If Dell laptop turns on but screen is black after Windows 11 update:
Step 01: Disconnect all external devices, such as USB drives, printers, monitors, and any other peripherals.
Step 02: Press the Windows key + Ctrl + Shift + B simultaneously to restart the Graphics driver, you will notice your screen flashing for a second and will be back to normal.
Step 03: Press Ctrl + shift + Esc key to open task manager, Right click on Windows Explorer and select restart.
If you can’t find the process, click on Run new task, type explorer.exe and click ok.
In addition Press Windows key + P and ensure “PC screen only” option is selected.
Power Reset Dell Laptop
Restart your Dell laptop resolve temporary software glitches or conflicts that might have caused the black screen problem.
- Shut down your laptop completely.
- Disconnect the power adapter and remove the battery (if possible).
- Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
- Reconnect the power adapter and battery (if applicable).
- Turn on the laptop and check if the black screen issue is resolved.
Start Windows 11 safe mode
If still, your Dell laptop turns on to black screen, you need to start Windows 11 in safe mode to further troubleshooting steps. Booting into Safe Mode allows Windows 11 to start with minimal software and drivers, which can help identify if a third-party application is causing the black screen problem.
- First, you need to access Advanced options, then click startup settings,
- Next, you need to click on Restart
- And finally press F4 to boot Windows 11 in safe mode F5 enable to enable internet access on safe mode.
Update Graphics driver
Outdated Graphics drivers are the major cause of the Dell laptop black screen issue on Windows 11. And you need to update or reinstall the Graphics driver with the latest version to fix the Windows 11 black screen problem.
Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can cause display issues, including the black screen problem.
To update your graphics drivers:
- Right-click on the “Start” button and select “Device Manager.”
- Expand the “Display adapters” section, right-click on your graphics card, and select “Update driver.”
- Choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software.
- Windows will then download and install any available updates.
- Restart your laptop and check if the issue is resolved.
Also, you can check the manufacturer’s website for the latest driver versions compatible with Windows 11.
Check for Windows Updates
Running an outdated version of Windows 11, or a buggy update may trigger conflicts with hardware or software components. Microsoft regularly releases updates and patches that address various issues. Installing the latest Windows update can address existing bugs and improve overall system stability.
- Press the Windows key + I to open the Settings app
- Go to “Windows Update” Click on “Check for updates”
- If new updates are available allow them to download and install on your device
Once done, Restart your laptop to apply changes, and check if the black screen problem persists.
Disable Fast Startup
This is another straightforward solution to troubleshoot the black screen issue on Windows 11. The Fast Startup feature is designed to reduce the boot-up time by hibernating the kernel session instead of completely shutting down the system. But it can sometimes cause conflicts leading to a black screen during startup or wake-up from sleep.
- Press Windows key + R, type powercfg.cpl and click ok, to open “Power Options.”
- Click on “Choose what the power buttons do” from the left sidebar.
- Next, Select “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
- Finally Uncheck “Turn on fast startup (recommended)” and click Save changes.
Run System File Checker (SFC) and DISM
Corrupted or missing system files can also be the reason why Dell laptop turning on but screen is black after windows 11 update. Run the built-in SFC and DISM tools to scan and repair any corrupted system files that could be contributing to the black screen problem.
- First Open Command Prompt as an administrator. (Search for “cmd,” right-click, and choose “Run as administrator.”)
- First, run the DISM restore health command, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
- This will scan and repair the system image using Windows update as source, Let it complete 100%
- Now run the system file checker command “sfc /scannow“
This will start scanning for missing or corrupted Windows files and restore them with a healthy one.
Wait for the process to complete, and then restart your laptop.
Adjust Display Settings
Incorrect display settings or resolution settings can lead to a black screen issue.
- Boot into Safe Mode, and access settings using windows key + I
- Go to the system then Display, and choose a lower resolution that your laptop can handle.
- Then, restart the laptop and adjust the resolution back to the preferred setting.
Perform System Restore
If the black screen issue started after Windows update, installing new software or drivers, performing a system restore helps revert the changes that were made and might help resolve the Black screen problem.
- Press Windows key + S, type system restore and select “Create a restore point.”
- Click on the “System Restore” button and Follow the on-screen instructions to choose a restore point and start the process.
- 7 ways to fix Microsoft Edge Black Screen Issue on Windows 11
- How to change or Adjust screen brightness on Laptop
- 10 Free Files Recovery Software to Download in 2023
- Computer crashes when playing Games windows 11 (Solved)
- How to clear cache in Microsoft Edge Windows 11/10