Playing games on SSD should be much faster than that on the traditional HDD. here how to move steam games to another drive without re-downloading
Steam is a video game digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation, allows browse the newest and most popular games to download or purchase the game you like. Steam games are stored under C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and many gaming users download a lot of games through Steam. If you still install Steam games to the default C drive and realize that games occupy a lot of space, Here is how to move steam games to another drive without re-downloading.
Move steam games to another drive
With the latest version Steam allows you to move individual games to a new library or drive, Well if you want to move multiple games from one place to another, you can use the Steam Library Manager tool or the inbuilt Backup/Restore function. Let’s see how to move steam games to another drive.
Create A Secondary Steam Folder
Steam itself has the inbuilt function that lets you change a game location and migrate a game from one drive to another.
- Open the Steam app, click Steam then settings
- Next click Downloads then Steam Library Folders
- Here click on Add Library Folder.
- This will ask to Create or select a new steam library folder. Select a different Drive (for Example D) and click the “New folder” tab
- Click Ok and give the new library folder a name.
This will look like this (Refer to the image below), then click close.
Now to move an installed game to the newly created folder on the new drive,
- Click LIBRARY, right-click on the game and head to Properties.
- Click the Local Files tab and go to the Move Install Folder button.
- And finally, here you need to select the Steam library you want to move the game to and click the Move Folder button.
You have successfully moved the game to another drive. If you want to move any more games, Repeat the same process to move more games to the new drive.
Move multiple games using Steam Library Manager
Also, you can use Steam Library Manager to Move Games in Batch, using the Steam Library Manager tool you can easily copy, move or backup your games between Steam and SLM (backup) libraries. Let’s see how to do this.
- First Download Steam Library Manager from the official website here.
- Open Steam Library Manager, this will display created library and installed games there.
- Here drag the games to the library you want to move it to.
- Next move to the Task Manager tab, The games you are going to move will be listed here.
- You can move multiple games and then click the Start button to move steam games to another drive.
- Once done, restart your Steam App to reflect the changes.
Move existing Steam Installation to another drive
If you are looking to move your entire Steam to another drive, that moves all your Steam games to another drive refer to the following steps.
- First exit the Steam client application (If running)
- Locate to your Steam folder via Windows File Explorer
- Browse to the Steam installation folder (C:\Program Files\Steam by default) for the Steam installation you would like to move
- Copy and paste your Steam folder to the new drive.
- Now Rename the old folder (As Steam.bkp) and leave it in the original directory as a backup or you can delete it later.
- Right-click on Steam.exe from the new location and create a new shortcut or Double click on Steam.exe to Launch Steam and log into your account.
- How To Change Netflix Video Download Location In Windows 10/Android
- How to Transfer Windows 10 OS from HDD to SDD without Data Loss (Updated)
- Windows 10 Xbox Game bar not working or opening? Here is how to fix
- Solved: Photos App Stopped Working after Windows 10 20H2 Update