When you try to install Windows 10 version, also known as ‘Windows 10 November 2021 update’ The Update fails to install error 0x80080008, 0x80d02002, 0x80242006 or the update downloading procedure is stuck. There are several reasons behind this problem, “Feature update to Windows 10 version 21H2 failed to install ” might be due to corrupt Windows Update components, or third-party software conflicts etc. Here is every possible solution to fix windows 10 Feature update 21H2 installation problems.
Windows 10 version 21H2 failed to install
Cause 01: When the download of windows 10 November 2021 update Version 21H2 is completed, Windows asks to restart the system to install the update. After the system’s restart, the Windows 10 2021 update is not installed and at the Update history you receive the following error: “Feature update to Windows 10, version 21H2: Failed to install…” (error: 0x80080008)
Cause 02: After checking for new updates, Windows is starting to download the November 2021 Update for Windows 10 version 21H2, but during the Downloading Updates operation, is stuck at xx% (e.g. at 85% or 99%) with error 0x80d02002.
- First, make sure you have a stable internet connection To download windows updates from the Microsoft server.
- Run Third-party system optimizers like Ccleaner to Cleanup Disk space by removing temp, system error, memory dump files, And fix broken registry error.
- Run System File Checker utility to make sure any corrupted system files are not causing the issue.
- Also, Run DISM command DISM.exe /Online/Cleanup-image/Restorehealth to repair the system image.
- Temporarily uninstall Antivirus and Disconnect from VPN if configured.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft has developed Windows Update Troubleshooter which analyzes your system, particularly the windows update module and troubleshoots problems. We recommend Download the Windows Update Troubleshooter from the official Microsoft website. Run the update troubleshooter and let windows check and fix the problem itself. After complete, the process Restart windows and try to download and install the windows update.
Also, you can run the built-in Windows update troubleshooter following the steps below.
- Press Windows + I to open Settings
- Go to Update & security, then Troubleshoot
- Click on Windows update the advanced troubleshooter link
- locate windows update and click Run the troubleshooter as shown image below.
This will check for problems, that prevent feature update from being installed properly and try to resolve them automatically. Wait until complete the troubleshooting process, after that restart windows and again check for windows update. This time Get success? let us know If you still need help fallow the next solution.
Turn off Windows Firewall
- Press Windows Key + R, Type Firewall.cpl and Click OK.
- Click on “Turn Windows Defender Firewall On or Off.”
- In Private network Setting, select “Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended)”
- Do the same for Public Network Setting, Press OK.
Note: After the issue is resolved, you must turn the Windows Firewall on.
Disable any installed Antivirus/Malware/Adware Program Temporarily:
Sometimes Antivirus/Malware/Adware programs mark Microsoft Windows installer files as Spam and block it from installing. Refer to your vendor’s website for disabling it temporarily. Once the windows update installation is done, you can activate it again.
Updating Time, Region and Language Settings
Normally Windows syncs your time according to the time zones automatically. If you have an incorrect time zone, it is likely to cause problems such as failure to install windows updates.
- Open windows settings
- Time & Language, then date & time.
- Check if your date and time are set correctly.
- If not, uncheck the options which say “set time automatically.”
- Here “set timezone automatically.”
- Then click “Change” underneath Change date and time.
- Set your time accordingly and also select your appropriate time zone.
- Also, disable “Auto-sync time.”
- Again from Region & language try using English United Kingdom/US.
Perform a clean boot
If these methods still don’t help, we recommend you to perform a clean boot to eliminate the influence of the 3rd party software and check again.
Reset Windows update components
If all the above methods failed to fix then reset Windows update components is probably a good fix. That restart Windows update and its related services, And clear old update files. So next time, force windows update to download fresh files from the Microsoft server.
Open Command prompt as administrator and perform command below one each after one.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
The above commands stop Windows update and its related services.
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
These two commands rename the SoftwareDistribution folder, where windows update stores update files. By renaming, this folder Windows update creates a new one and download fresh update files from the Microsoft server.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
The above commands restart the services that we previously stopped.
Close Command Prompt and Restart your computer.
- Now Open the Windows settings app,
- Click Update & security than Windows update,
- hit the check for update button and check if Windows 10 version 21H2 is available to download,
Use Windows 10 update assistant
If all the above methods failed to fix, then download the “Windows Update Assistant” from the Microsoft website. Run the upgrade assistant click the Update Now button and follow the on-screen prompts to install the Update or manually upgrade to windows 10 21H2.
- Blue Snowball Not Working Windows 10 (5 working solutions)
- Solved: Windows 10 brightness slider not working or Grayed out
- 15 Tips to Optimize Windows 10 for better performance
- How to extend the 10-day limit to go back to your previous version of Windows
- Windows 10 Version 21H2 ISO Direct Download links